ADVERTISEMENT

Inaugural Onward Setonia Golf Sweepstakes

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

The Inaugural Onward Setonia Golf Sweepstakes launched on May 2, during Corks & Forks at the Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, NJ. Those who purchase a ticket for the sweepstakes will be entered into a live drawing on June 5, 2024 at Magnify Brewing in Fairfield, NJ. Ten amazing golf courses are featured in the drawing and each round of golf will be for three (3) golfers and their host.

Rules: Tickets are $500 each (purchase as many as you like) with a limit of 100 total tickets sold. Each individual’s name can only win one time. Once a course is selected, it is no longer available for subsequent drawn names. Ten distinct names drawn; ten courses selected for ten total winners. Each course’s host restrictions and hospitality may differ, please read the course notes before selection.

Courses: Baltusrol Golf Club, Bayonne Golf Club, Canoe Brook Country Club, Essex County Country Club, Hamilton Farm Golf Club, Mountain Ridge Country Club, Morris County Golf Club, Somerset Hills Country Club, Spring Lake Golf Club, Trump National Golf Club Bedminster

This was just retweeted by Frank the Tank. Maybe we're making some progress here- hope this leads to Frank showing up and some bigger partnerships in the future.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
A third campaign besides this and the cruise noted elsewhere is in the works to be posted soon.

That one will consists of new wearing apparel.

why the limit of 100 tickets ? seems like an oppt to make a few more bucks if did not cap at 100 (50,000)

My guess is that try and sell too many tickets and maybe you discourage others to donate to the raffle by decreasing the odds to win.

As is if all tickets are sold you have a 10% chance to win a foursome.

Reactions: HALL85
why the limit of 100 tickets ? seems like an oppt to make a few more bucks if did not cap at 100 (50,000)
If you didn't have a limit, you wouldn't capture an audience.

10% chance as opposed to going to the NIL beefsteak event and guaranteeing a threesome of golf by bidding directly on a course of your favor.

I will take a chance. Great way to try to win something while supporting the cause.

Reactions: Halldan1
That's the point Kevin. Even if you lose you helped the school. And if you win, the $500 was well worth it.

I purchased a few tickets but can't attend the drawing. Dan, you want to attend for me and if my name is called text me for my choice of golf course?
Of course , you can be in my foursome

Never played golf in my life. Probably the only sport I never played. That plus my back issues would be a major problem.

But thank you Paul for the offer. If you win we can raffle that choice here for more NIL money. Just a thought.

Here's the school's response to vegaspaul82.......

"You do not need to be present to win. All ticket holders will be asked (before the drawing) to provide an auto draft list to Onward Setonia. If their name is called and not present the auto draft list will be referenced to make the drawn ticket selection. If for some reason the drawn ticket does is not in attendance or provided a auto draft list, we will attempt calling/text/emailing the winner and give them a few minutes to respond. If the time elapses, the next name drawn, and process continues. When the passed winner makes contact, they will select. If they never responded, they would get the 10th course."

I purchased a few tickets but can't attend the drawing. Dan, you want to attend for me and if my name is called text me for my choice of golf course? Of course , you can be in my foursome
The info the way it is explained on the link is confusing. I too thought it was a foursome but it is not. It's a threesome. The winner and two others by choice.

The info the way it is explained on the link is confusing. I too thought it was a foursome but it is not. It's a threesome. The winner and two others by choice.
Has to be because this is being donated by members and not the club..very few clubs allow 4 non members to go out alone..especially the clubs that are on this list

So you are winning being a guest of that member for the day

Has to be because this is being donated by members and not the club..very few clubs allow 4 non members to go out alone..especially the clubs that are on this list

So you are winning being a guest of that member for the day
Correct, unaccompanied is rarely allowed and if it is its at a super premium (Kadary Richmond NIL voice) like $500 a person or more

Speaking of Golf, Providence is doing a 128 person golf outing this summer for $175 a pop for NIL. Why do we charge $800 for ours? It is very outrageous. We should be targeting lower income alum who want to get involved vs just these high price events. @walshtrips something to think about... $175-$250 a head is a nice sweet spot and then make up the NIL pot with sponsorships on the course, raffles etc

Reactions: shu09 and SOBO1
Speaking of Golf, Providence is doing a 128 person golf outing this summer for $175 a pop for NIL. Why do we charge $800 for ours? It is very outrageous. We should be targeting lower income alum who want to get involved vs just these high price events. @walshtrips something to think about... $175-$250 a head is a nice sweet spot and then make up the NIL pot with sponsorships on the course, raffles etc
For that price with food it would have to be at a public course.

Reactions: Halldan1
FYI.....$500 not $800

Incorrect, there are alot of golf connections in the Seton Hall alumni group. I am sure someone can help organize a private club for $250 a head with food. The focus should be on getting as much participation as possible from the working man's type person vs the big dogs. Get them excited about donating and these types of events. Again think small at SETON HALL. also @Halldan1 i looked and last year was $700 per person not sure where you got the $500 figure from.

Hit the link above for the cost of a ticket.

The Inaugural Onward Setonia Golf Sweepstakes launched on May 2, during Corks & Forks at the Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, NJ. Those who purchase a ticket for the sweepstakes will be entered into a live drawing on June 5, 2024 at Magnify Brewing in Fairfield, NJ. Ten amazing golf courses are featured in the drawing and each round of golf will be for three (3) golfers and their host.

Rules: Tickets are $500 each (purchase as many as you like) with a limit of 100 total tickets sold. Each individual’s name can only win one time. Once a course is selected, it is no longer available for subsequent drawn names. Ten distinct names drawn; ten courses selected for ten total winners. Each course’s host restrictions and hospitality may differ, please read the course notes before selection.

Courses: Baltusrol Golf Club, Bayonne Golf Club, Canoe Brook Country Club, Essex County Country Club, Hamilton Farm Golf Club, Mountain Ridge Country Club, Morris County Golf Club, Somerset Hills Country Club, Spring Lake Golf Club, Trump National Golf Club Bedminster

$500.00

Ok we are talking about 2 different things, this sweepstakes and a pirate blue/NIL golf outing which is what Providence is doing for $175 a player

Incorrect, there are alot of golf connections in the Seton Hall alumni group. I am sure someone can help organize a private club for $250 a head with food. The focus should be on getting as much participation as possible from the working man's type person vs the big dogs. Get them excited about donating and these types of events. Again think small at SETON HALL. also @Halldan1 i looked and last year was $700 per person not sure where you got the $500 figure from.
I have no idea who how much it costs to rent a club in North Jersey on a Monday… I’m thinking it isn’t cheap …But isn’t charging a slight premium for it the opposite of small thinking?

Providence is doing it for $175 a head, let's call it $250 which is still reasonable that should be a good benchmark price to aim for. Raise money through slight premium and sponsorships not $600-$800 a person and alienate Joe the Plumber

I have no idea who how much it costs to rent a club in North Jersey on a Monday… I’m thinking it isn’t cheap …But isn’t charging a slight premium for it the opposite of small thinking?
Roughly $200 per head. Most large outings have the additional cost of bringing in carts (they don’t have enough for 4 carts per hole plus volunteers) paying employees, food and beverage, etc.

I have a good friend who runs a charity outing. Almost $0 is made on entry. Most of the money raised is by sponsors of holes/event, prizes and silent auction.

They stopped doing the silent auction at PB because it takes a lot of time and they focus on the beefsteak auction. A lot of the prizes they would get for the golf outing go for more at beefsteak where there are more people.

$175/pp is definitely a break even outing where the hope would be raising interest or other fundraising. They are making nothing on the golf.

Reactions: GOHALL85
Roughly $200 per head. Most large outings have the additional cost of bringing in carts (they don’t have enough for 4 carts per hole plus volunteers) paying employees, food and beverage, etc.

I have a good friend who runs a charity outing. Almost $0 is made on entry. Most of the money raised is by sponsors of holes/event, prizes and silent auction.

They stopped doing the silent auction at PB because it takes a lot of time and they focus on the beefsteak auction. A lot of the prizes they would get for the golf outing go for more at beefsteak where there are more people.

$175/pp is definitely a break even outing where the hope would be raising interest or other fundraising. They are making nothing on the golf.
We are on a charity outing every year at a private course in eastern Pennsylvania. Nice course but it’s not Saucon Valley. Cost is a little over 200 per person with a light breakfast and buffet dinner. Sponsorship foursomes range from $3,000-$10,000. Individual golfers for 400 per person. Charity golf outings typically earns a dollar for every dollar invested. Can you squeeze out a few more bucks with raffles, pot of gold, mulligans, and putting contests. Back of the envelope, for 120 golfers, your gross about 50,000 and net half of that.

With an MBB outing, you’re not going to get those kind of sponsorships. Lower gross…lower net.

I’m not doubting in Providence is charging $175, but it’s probably more for relationship development than actually making any money. Would it be fun to include more golfers at a lower cost, yes. But if the goal is to beef up your NIL, it’s a drop in the bucket.

Net almost nothing.

Ok we are talking about 2 different things, this sweepstakes and a pirate blue/NIL golf outing which is what Providence is doing for $175 a player
Green fees at top courses can be $150 per person plus cart rental, food and drink. Cost per person is likely not less than $250/person.

Providence is doing it for $175 a head, let's call it $250 which is still reasonable that should be a good benchmark price to aim for. Raise money through slight premium and sponsorships not $600-$800 a person and alienate Joe the Plumber
You’re not taking into consideration the man hours it takes to put together sponsorships. In the outing my buddy runs, there are hundreds of hours spent getting donations for auction (again, SHU foregoes that for beefsteak) and taking donations for the pamphlet they produce.

They essentially sell out every year. To make the same excess on a $175/pp golfer, it would take hundreds of hours and I’m willing to bet won’t match the raise, as well as turning it into a crap experience. I don’t play in my buddy’s outing because it’s fun. I do it for the charity. But a sold out event, 6-hr scramble with 160 golfers, and they probably clear $100k with a good portion in the silent auction.

You know better than anyone. Didn’t they say at that outing at Fiddlers that it was $500/head and they hardly made money for the charity?

You’re not taking into consideration the man hours it takes to put together sponsorships. In the outing my buddy runs, there are hundreds of hours spent getting donations for auction (again, SHU foregoes that for beefsteak) and taking donations for the pamphlet they produce.

They essentially sell out every year. To make the same excess on a $175/pp golfer, it would take hundreds of hours and I’m willing to bet won’t match the raise, as well as turning it into a crap experience. I don’t play in my buddy’s outing because it’s fun. I do it for the charity. But a sold out event, 6-hr scramble with 160 golfers, and they probably clear $100k with a good portion in the silent auction.

You know better than anyone. Didn’t they say at that outing at Fiddlers that it was $500/head and they hardly made money for the charity?
Yes, correct. We have about 30 employees and volunteers that do the preparation and support day of the tournament. You never count that… Lol but it’s real time and effort and it is a lot of work.

Same thing for this charity. The course is nice, but not worth $400 plus per person. People are doing it for what we do in the community.

Funny and true story…Saint Barnabas Medical Center held their outing at Trump National for a few years. Actually, one years Raf was the guest speaker and Kevin Willard was there. Before that it was at Baltusrol for the longest time but they decided to move it for some reason. They initially got the price on Trump it was significantly higher than Baltusrol. When they told them, they weren’t moving the tournament there, one of the executives actually got a call from Trump himself, and he agreed to do it at the same price. This is like 10 years ago and Trump/Baltusrol we’re getting well over $400 per person.

Yes, correct. We have about 30 employees and volunteers that do the preparation and support day of the tournament. You never count that… Lol but it’s real time and effort and it is a lot of work.

Same thing for this charity. The course is nice, but not worth $400 plus per person. People are doing it for what we do in the community.

Funny and true story…Saint Barnabas Medical Center held their outing at Trump National for a few years. Actually, one years Raf was the guest speaker and Kevin Willard was there. Before that it was at Baltusrol for the longest time but they decided to move it for some reason. They initially got the price on Trump it was significantly higher than Baltusrol. When they told them, they weren’t moving the tournament there, one of the executives actually got a call from Trump himself, and he agreed to do it at the same price. This is like 10 years ago and Trump/Baltusrol we’re getting well over $400 per person.
They get over 1000 today. And I was involved with one at Winged Foot back in 2014-15. That was $1200 to the club

It says that the golf club is handling the golfer fee..so doesn’t that mean the club is picking up the greens fees and the $175 is just covering the buffet?

So if you add the fee back In, prob 250ish that would be 425$ give or take..still better than our but makes sense

Maybe I’m wrong though

It says that the golf club is handling the golfer fee..so doesn’t that mean the club is picking up the greens fees and the $175 is just covering the buffet?

So if you add the fee back In, prob 250ish that would be 425$ give or take..still better than our but makes sense

Maybe I’m wrong though
Few clubs with decent facilities are doing outings for $425 per person. Just the way it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT