ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Game Tonight

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Looks like another tough game to me. I don't think their roster is as good individually it was last year with Kris Murray and Filip Rebraca gone, so maybe that provides hope, but man they carve teams up with their offense. Has anyone seen them play? Murray abused last year, but so did their PG Perkins who is back this year.

Important swing game for Seton Hall. While I think Iowa is probably a .500 Big Ten team, it would be a decent win on a neutral site.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
Iowa played an overrated Creighton team tight in the Gavitt Games. they will attack the basket with Perkins and the big man Krikke. As a team and especially the starting lineup is not shooting it well from 3

If I’m Sha I’m changing it up. Dawes and Wusu come off the bench. Put Dre Davis at the 3 where he belongs and slide anybody into the 4 and start Coleman at the 2. This lineup we are running at their now does nothing but present the same exact issues as last year.

Reactions: catholicman
Put Bediako at the PF, I don’t buy that he’s 6’10” anyway. And put EHE at center. Can’t keep rolling out this same lineup the last year plus.

Wusu is Femi 2.0 and with an undersized 4 just isn’t going to work. Especially when our SG is as unpredictable and unmotivated as anybody

You can't play a guy who is not dressed at the 5. And Bediako is strictly an inside player. You're not playing him at the 4.

That said I would mix it up for at least one game and have Dawes come off the bench giving Coleman the nod. But I doubt that's happening.

Looks like another tough game to me. I don't think their roster is as good individually it was last year with Kris Murray and Filip Rebraca gone, so maybe that provides hope, but man they carve teams up with their offense. Has anyone seen them play? Murray abused last year, but so did their PG Perkins who is back this year.

Important swing game for Seton Hall. While I think Iowa is probably a .500 Big Ten team, it would be a decent win on a neutral site.
Piratz
I think this is one of those years where every game will be a tough game for us and little will come easy.

You can't play a guy who is not dressed at the 5. And Bediako is strictly an inside player. You're not playing him at the 4. That said I would mix it up for at least one game and have Dawes come off the bench giving Coleman the nod. But I doubt that's happening.

I thought he was ready. Oh well. Not looking good tonight then. I guess when they get back home they can try it out. Power forwards can still play down low.. they don’t have to be Dirk

The season will be defined before New Years. This is a winnable game (as was USC). Sha is a competitive guy and I suspect will make adjustments.. with the 7-8 players he has confidence putting in the floor.

Reactions: HallX2
I cannot see him bringing Dawes off the bench. Not on November 24th after one horrific game. It was good he sat him for a bit during yesterday's game, but even with that he still played 29 minutes.

It's just not happening. Sha sees Dawes differently than most on this board. Hey, he's the coach. It's his call.

i agree. But 29 min is not 35 and, IMO, was a result of Coleman’s fouling midway through the comeback. He could have given some time to Sanders but does not appear to have confidence in him yet.

Reactions: LBP43 and shupat08
I cannot see him bringing Dawes off the bench. Not on November 24th after one horrific game. It was good he sat him for a bit during yesterday's game, but even with that he still played 29 minutes.

It's just not happening. Sha sees Dawes differently than most on this board. Hey, he's the coach. It's his call.
Of course it's not happening. But if it were me, I would want to send a message that you play within the framework of the offense or you're minutes will be curtailed.

If this team is to reach its potential the ball has to move and not stick with one player. Send that message and if received then you reward the player the next game or two

Plus Dawes is going to get his minutes whether he starts or comes off the bench.

You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

Of course it's not happening. But if it were me, I would want to send a message that you play within the framework of the offense or you're minutes will be curtailed.

If this team is to reach its potential the ball has to move and not stick with one player. Send that message and if received then you reward the player the next game or two

Plus Dawes is going to get his minutes whether he starts or comes off the bench.

I agree with you, but Sha has allowed the status quo with Dawes the entire time he's been here. And it's cost us in numerous big spots. He's an undisciplined, one-dimensional player playing major minutes for a coach who seems to be the antithesis of such a player. 🤷‍♂️

Felton can't get here soon enough. Looking forward to him and Coleman.

Put Bediako at the PF, I don’t buy that he’s 6’10” anyway. And put EHE at center. Can’t keep rolling out this same lineup the last year plus.

Wusu is Femi 2.0 and with an undersized 4 just isn’t going to work. Especially when our SG is as unpredictable and unmotivated as anybody
Your comments (not you) are delusional. Bediako at the 4! Sanders at the 2! One thing‘s for sure. We’re going to see a lot of Coleman. But you can’t expect a 12 minute per game freshman to give the same level of results when their minutes suddenly balloon to 25-30.

Reactions: shupat08
Your comments (not you) are delusional. Bediako at the 4! Sanders at the 2! One thing‘s for sure. We’re going to see a lot of Coleman. But you can’t expect a 12 minute per game freshman to give the same level of results when their minutes suddenly balloon to 25-30.
Yeah because freshmen don’t start and dominate throughout the country.. 🙄

If I’m Sha I’m changing it up. Dawes and Wusu come off the bench. Put Dre Davis at the 3 where he belongs and slide anybody into the 4 and start Coleman at the 2. This lineup we are running at their now does nothing but present the same exact issues as last year.
Not a bad idea . Go to it if within the 1st 5 mins our regular starting 5 gets off to another bad start .

Yeah because freshman don’t start and dominate throughout the country.. 🙄
So you expect Coleman to come in and dominate a game. He’s getting 15+ minutes a game. He’s playing well and will get better. He’ll continue to get minutes. He’s giving us what he can. He scored 2 points yesterday. Get real.

Reactions: mbraue and SPK145
Bediako cannot play the 4, IMO. And even if someone wanted to try that for some inexplicable reason, Iowa would eat him alive. His skills are best suited for a traditional back-to-the-basket player on the blocks. He's a good center for Seton Hall with good post presence and interior rebounding. Let's not make us weaker there too.

Holloway has options at the 2/3 spots. Use them. See what combos work. He could also think of playing Richmond at the 2G alongside Brown at times maybe.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
While Dawes and Addae-Wusu were atrocious and we're not likely to win games with two veteran guards shooting 5/26 and 2/13 from 3, another MAJOR issue was the offense when Bediako went out.

It looked a lot like last year when Samuel went to the bench because we had nobody in the post to keep the defense honest. The team went just over 10 minutes and scored 2 points immediately after Bediako went to the bench and the offense was pushed out, paint clogged because NgaNga isn't a post player. The idea - on paper - is that Hutchins-Everett would help there. Ozodogan actually opened it up a bit at the end of the half.

Bediako cannot play the 4, IMO. And even if someone wanted to try that for some inexplicable reason, Iowa would eat him alive. His skills are best suited for a traditional back-to-the-basket player on the blocks. He's a good center for Seton Hall with good post presence and interior rebounding. Let's not make us weaker there too.

Holloway has options at the 2/3 spots. Use them. See what combos work. He could also think of playing Richmond at the 2G alongside Brown at times maybe.
There’s a starting lineup…

Brown
Richmond
Coleman
Davis
Bediako

Hear me out…. I always like 2 points on the court. Nova did that well. But Richmond with his size is not your average point. He can play any wing position.

Sub in Dawes for Brown, Wusu for Coleman, some time after the 5 minute + mark. Then sub Nganga for Davis and bring back Coleman for any of the 3 backcourt/wings.

Kadary can protect aggressive play against Brown, Dawes can watch the flow of the game (and get a clear message) and Wusu can fill be the role player off the bench that he is better suited for.

Are Brown/Coleman starters? Probably not, but Coleman is tracking and Brown is a message sent to Dawes.

There’s a starting lineup…

Brown
Richmond
Coleman
Davis
Bediako

Hear me out…. I always like 2 points on the court. Nova did that well. But Richmond with his size is not your average point. He can play any wing position.

Sub in Dawes for Brown, Wusu for Coleman, some time after the 5 minute + mark. Then sub Nganga for Davis and bring back Coleman for any of the 3 backcourt/wings.

Kadary can protect aggressive play against Brown, Dawes can watch the flow of the game (and get a clear message) and Wusu can fill be the role player off the bench that he is better suited for.

Are Brown/Coleman starters? Probably not, but Coleman is tracking and Brown is a message sent to Dawes.
Lol go back to the Bourbon you were drinking with the in laws last night.

The Dawes idea is not bad. Give him a blow and change things up. He'll still get his minutes.

Where I think you lost everyone is starting Brown.

Reactions: newshu1

First sticky dribble bad shot sequence, have a seat and a talking to. Then back in. Rinse and repeat

Reactions: shupat08 and LBP43
Have no idea why SHU is only 1 point Dog when Over Under is 155??
How do these 2 Teams score 155 on 2nd day ?
Sha will not sit Dawes and can not believe he will shoot as poorly so I am hopeful for getting the win

Reactions: chiswell and HallX2

That’s how you ruin a player. Sit him after a bad game. You have to keep with this kid. I think Sha knows that well

Reactions: TomWall
That’s how you ruin a player. Sit him after a bad game. You have to keep with this kid. I think Sha knows that well
It is one thing for Dawes to shoot 0-10 but it is inexcusable to blow a simple defensive assignment with 1 min to go in the game. That was horrible

So you expect Coleman to come in and dominate a game. He’s getting 15+ minutes a game. He’s playing well and will get better. He’ll continue to get minutes. He’s giving us what he can. He scored 2 points yesterday. Get real.
Why not try? My point was that freshman have dominated college basketball for a long time now and our coaches and most of you fans are stuck in 1968 where upper class men are automatically better based off nothing but supposed experience. If Coleman is better and more talented he needs to play, same with other freshman. If they’re on the team they should play otherwise why do we continue to waste time having them here.

Dawes was bad, but Coleman didn't show much against a top tier team.

Wish we had played one of our first four games against a competitive team.

Reactions: LBP43
It is one thing for Dawes to shoot 0-10 but it is inexcusable to blow a simple defensive assignment with 1 min to go in the game. That was horrible
Agreed. Dawes is a streaky shooter so hope he improves tonight. But the blown D assignment is something Sha needs to hammer into Dawes head. Iowa shot poorly from 3 last night. I have a feeling that will change dramatically tonight.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
Have no idea why SHU is only 1 point Dog when Over Under is 155??
How do these 2 Teams score 155 on 2nd day ?
Sha will not sit Dawes and can not believe he will shoot as poorly so I am hopeful for getting the win
The two teams averaging a combined 166.6 PPG. Iowa is averaging more than 89 a game even after being held to 67 yesterday. I'd pencil them in for at least 80 today.

When we played last year, the total was 150 and we were under 70.

Don't overreact to one game. Without Dawes in the starting lineup there is little outside shooting. Coleman is coming on and is a player but shouldn't be starting.
Oh yeah Dawes is an awesome outside shooter… see what I mean with you guys..

The two teams averaging a combined 166.6 PPG. Iowa is averaging more than 89 a game even after being held to 67 yesterday. I'd pencil them in for at least 80 today.

When we played last year, the total was 150 and we were under 70.
Remember it all too well $$$The Hall87 -- Just do not believe that 2 "tired" Teams can break 155 . Do not believe Sha will get in basket race .If Game goes over 155 , SHU is in trouble -if it is less than 150, think Hall can gut it out.

Samuel at the 4 with Big J at the 5 - LOL! Dre at the 3.

Kind of funny how the consolation game is being played on National TV Fox 5

Remember it all too well $$$The Hall87 -- Just do not believe that 2 "tired" Teams can break 155 . Do not believe Sha will get in basket race .If Game goes over 155 , SHU is in trouble -if it is less than 150, think Hall can gut it out.
I'd probably take the under if I were a betting man but as I said above, I think Iowa gets their 80. I don't see us doing our part to get to 155.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT