ADVERTISEMENT

Is the United States ready for another Kent State moment?

I fear you may be right unless these college campuses get their anti-semitic populations under control.
I attended a meeting last week that included executives from healthcare systems and universities. There are steps being made, at least where we live to prepare for uprisings at colleges in the fall after the election. The feeling is that at some of the universities there is a powder keg of mental health issues that have been brewing and no matter who wins the election, there will be a wave of various responses.

To the extent they are putting additional mental health resources in place and coordinating between universities, police and hospitals. And this is not a major metropolitan area like NYC and Philly. We’ve had no historical issues even during the George Floyd riots. So take that for what it’s worth.

I attended a meeting last week that included executives from healthcare systems and universities. There are steps being made, at least where we live to prepare for uprisings at colleges in the fall after the election. The feeling is that at some of the universities there is a powder keg of mental health issues that have been brewing and no matter who wins the election, there will be a wave of various responses.

To the extent they are putting additional mental health resources in place and coordinating between universities, police and hospitals. And this is not a major metropolitan area like NYC and Philly. We’ve had no historical issues even during the George Floyd riots. So take that for what it’s worth.
kent st first generation to have tv mainstream from their birth, this generation the first to have social media from their birth.

I wonder how much Middle East money is in the higher education system at US colleges and universities

And Texas troopers arrested a local news station photog at UT Austin yesterday

Pretty shocked at these pro-Palestinian Protests at the campuses. People obviously not knowing the history of this conflict. I think more arrests need to be effected. I also think that education concerning who rejected a two state solution. And that was Palestinians at Camp David with Clinton

In the aftermath of 9/11, how are Americans have sympathy towards a terrorist organization like Hamas?

Reactions: shu09 and SPK145
Hamas will never accept two state solution so periodic military conflicts are unavoidable.

"Journalists"
Of course local news crews in the market would be covering this. The guy is there operating and camera and transmitting on his LiveU pack. So now shu09 has something against local market media. Austin I believe has at least 3 affiliates and also is a hub for spectrum News

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Pretty shocked at these pro-Palestinian Protests at the campuses. People obviously not knowing the history of this conflict. I think more arrests need to be effected. I also think that education concerning who rejected a two state solution. And that was Palestinians at Camp David with Clinton

In the aftermath of 9/11, how are Americans have sympathy towards a terrorist organization like Hamas?
How about pacifists that dont want to see human death and destruction on either side? Gaza was an impoverished society and now it is just pretty much all destroyed.

I find it amusing that a lot of pictures of these protesters feature them wearing masks and holding pro-Palestinian propaganda and flags. It's an interesting crossover. These people are so far gone and beyond hope for rehabilitation. Completely brainwashed.

How about pacifists that dont want to see human death and destruction on either side? Gaza was an impoverished society and now it is just pretty much all destroyed.
Did those pacifists protest the suicide bombers killing Israelis in cafes and restaurants? Did they protest the missles that were launched by Hamas and Hezbollah into Israel for years and years? https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hamas-israel-history-confrontation-2021-05-14/

This is not taken in a vacuum. This destruction is directly attributable to Hamas’s actions in October and to this date keeping innocent people hostages. The people of Gaza voted for Hamas and have not turned their back to that organization

We may bicker about how far the IMF is taking this offensive. But, let’s be real. These protestors are not singing John Lennon’s Give Peace a Chance” songs. These are not pro peace demonstrations. It’s pro-Palestine pro hamas and anti Israel.

Meanwhile, in the real world:

This article comes across as the ultimate snow-flake, lack of awareness piece that deserves absolutely no sympathy. I wonder how the families of Israeli's that have seen their daughters raped, bodies mutilated, and then murdered along with babies being burned alive feel about an entitled college student that had their wrists zip tied for all of 8 hours by police or were "evicted" from their dorms and had 15 minutes to collect their belongings for violating university policy. Did those victims have 15 minutes to vacate the area before being SLAUGHTERED???

Meanwhile riots and occupations have rolled across the country this week, but nothing to see here. SMH.

There have been people being victimized throughout the world and there is silence. People who really are innocent victims of ethnic cleansing and who have committed no acts of terrorism. Yet somehow we are to be sympathetic to the Palestinian plight who does not want to see Israel exist.

I guess no one cares about the Armenians who are being ethnically cleansed by the Muslim population of Azerbaijan. 100,000 Armenians who in the past experienced genocide by the Turks and are still being victimized. How about protesting that?

There have been people being victimized throughout the world and there is silence. People who really are innocent victims of ethnic cleansing and who have committed no acts of terrorism. Yet somehow we are to be sympathetic to the Palestinian plight who does not want to see Israel exist.

I guess no one cares about the Armenians who are being ethnically cleansed by the Muslim population of Azerbaijan. 100,000 Armenians who in the past experienced genocide by the Turks and are still being victimized. How about protesting that?
And countless African countries where genocide and ethnic cleansing has been going on for years. Years ago, the movie Hotel Rwanda shed light on it…no protests on college campuses that I can remember.

And countless African countries where genocide and ethnic cleansing has been going on for years. Years ago, the movie Hotel Rwanda shed light on it…no protests on college campuses that I can remember.
Great movie. I can't remember any protests either. This was an absolutely brutal genocide of over million people. People were being hacked up by machete in the streets. When Clinton left office,, he said his greatest regret was failing to act sooner in Rwanda.

What about Darfur where I believe our own Jaki Kaba left that country during a time where like a million people were killed.

Reactions: HALL85
Great movie. I can't remember any protests either. This was an absolutely brutal genocide of over million people. People were being hacked up by machete in the streets. When Clinton left office,, he said his greatest regret was failing to act sooner in Rwanda.

What about Darfur where I believe our own Jaki Kaba left that country during a time where like a million people were killed.
Kaba originally from Liberia

If your arguments are asking why weren't there protests about these other atrocities, then I completely agree. I don't know why that would discredit the protests going on now, though. Wouldn't that give them even more legitimacy?

The difference here is that the U.S. government is actively funding Israel with aid and weapons that are used to perpetrate these atrocities, and (with very few exceptions) has the full-throated support of the White House, Congress, and the political establishment. Much easier for college students to be disillusioned by circumstances like this. Actually you don't even have to be a college student.

Israel’s military efforts are focused time on getting the hostages returned and eliminating Hamas. If Hamas would just return the hostages and not use their own citizens as human shields, we wouldn’t see the a number of civilian deaths in Gaza.

If your arguments are asking why weren't there protests about these other atrocities, then I completely agree. I don't know why that would discredit the protests going on now, though. Wouldn't that give them even more legitimacy?

The difference here is that the U.S. government is actively funding Israel with aid and weapons that are used to perpetrate these atrocities, and (with very few exceptions) has the full-throated support of the White House, Congress, and the political establishment. Much easier for college students to be disillusioned by circumstances like this. Actually you don't even have to be a college student.

No it gives the protest less legitimacy. The protests are not about people dying and peace. Had they been there are far greater amounts of deaths that occurred in the past.

Seems to me that the atrocities were committed by the Palestinians by slaughtering women and children and civilians. I did not see any protest on college campuses protesting the atrocities committed against babies by Palestinians. As a matter of fact, after that slaughter, there were already pro-Palestinian protests even before any Israeli response.

It’s a warped view to turn it around that Israel is committing atrocities. When 9/11 happened, was the US not justified in bombing the living hell in Afghanistan? Same thing here. Hamas is still holding hostages. I am trying to understand how Americans feel sympathy to a people and a cause that never wants peace and never wants the existence of Israel. Sympathy to terrorists and those that have voted for them.

Reactions: SPK145 and HALL85

Do those college students support Hamas and what they did on October 7? Sure seems like it, since they speak out against Israel's response.

The US government doesn't, and that's why it is supporting Israel financially and militarily.

Not a comment on who’s right and wrong in this situation, but as a 90’s child, I can tell you for a fact there is a serious mental health crisis in this country and it is manifesting itself in many of these protests.

I mean the fact that someone was willing to self immolate in front of the Israeli embassy, as if is death would have any impact whatsoever tells you how bad the mental health crisis really is.

Reactions: sussexcopirate
Not a comment on who’s right and wrong in this situation, but as a 90’s child, I can tell you for a fact there is a serious mental health crisis in this country and it is manifesting itself in many of these protests.
Health professionals were calling this out when we took over the top steps to isolate.
I mean the fact that someone was willing to self immolate in front of the Israeli embassy, as if is death would have any impact whatsoever tells you how bad the mental health crisis really is.
Posted in another thread that I’m aware of universities and hospitals coordinating triaging mental health resources in the run up to the election. Expectations are it will get worse.

Health professionals were calling this out when we took over the top steps to isolate.

Posted in another thread that I’m aware of universities and hospitals coordinating triaging mental health resources in the run up to the election. Expectations are it will get worse.
Imagine being that distraught over which billionaire owned octogenarian is figuratively “running” the country. We really are in deep shit as a nation.

Imagine being that distraught over which billionaire owned octogenarian is figuratively “running” the country. We really are in deep shit as a nation.
One of the greatest failures of our pandemic response.

One of the greatest failures of our pandemic response.
It’s a lot deeper than the pandemic response IMO. Sure the lockdowns exasperated things, but even before that many millennials and Gen Zers were already heading down the path to mental illness.

I think four years of Trump and being conditioned to be outraged by everything he said or did really had a negative impact on many young and impressionable minds. Coupled with the omnipresent cesspool of social media & the information silos it creates and you have a toxic cocktail of derangement.

Reactions: HALL85 and shu09
It’s a lot deeper than the pandemic response IMO. Sure the lockdowns exasperated things, but even before that many millennials and Gen Zers were already heading down the path to mental illness.

I think four years of Trump and being conditioned to be outraged by everything he said or did really had a negative impact on many young and impressionable minds. Coupled with the omnipresent cesspool of social media & the information silos it creates and you have a toxic cocktail of derangement.
Agree on social media. You can trace the increase in mental illnesses starting with the broad use of the smartphone and parents giving them to children when they were as young as 10. Pandemic accelerated the problems.

Reactions: shu09
Well this hasn’t aged well….
How so?

No it gives the protest less legitimacy. The protests are not about people dying and peace. Had they been there are far greater amounts of deaths that occurred in the past.

Seems to me that the atrocities were committed by the Palestinians by slaughtering women and children and civilians. I did not see any protest on college campuses protesting the atrocities committed against babies by Palestinians. As a matter of fact, after that slaughter, there were already pro-Palestinian protests even before any Israeli response.

It’s a warped view to turn it around that Israel is committing atrocities. When 9/11 happened, was the US not justified in bombing the living hell in Afghanistan? Same thing here. Hamas is still holding hostages. I am trying to understand how Americans feel sympathy to a people and a cause that never wants peace and never wants the existence of Israel. Sympathy to terrorists and those that have voted for them.
A couple things:
1. The "atrocities committed against babies by Palestinians." If this is referring to the story about 40 beheaded babies on October 7th, that story has been thoroughly debunked. Par for the course for a government that regularly hyperbolizes and makes things up to justify their actions. And here is another example of supporters of Israel not distinguishing between Palestinians and Hamas.
2. How did the US bombing the hell out of Afghanistan after 9/11 work out for the US, or for Afghanistan?

Do those college students support Hamas and what they did on October 7? Sure seems like it, since they speak out against Israel's response.

The US government doesn't, and that's why it is supporting Israel financially and militarily.

Deliberately ignoring the difference between Hamas and Palestinian civilians is basically textbook racism, and it's something that an IDF soldier admitted that the army is doing:

What about the Nakba and the Naksa? You want to tell me some more about the history of this conflict?

Because what we are witnessing now are crystal clear examples of anti-semitism by the protesters.
A couple things:
1. The "atrocities committed against babies by Palestinians." If this is referring to the story about 40 beheaded babies on October 7th, that story has been thoroughly debunked. Par for the course for a government that regularly hyperbolizes and makes things up to justify their actions. And here is another example of supporters of Israel not distinguishing between Palestinians and Hamas.
I never referred to any specific story, but are you denying that babies were murdered in horrific ways?
2. How did the US bombing the hell out of Afghanistan after 9/11 work out for the US, or for Afghanistan?
Apples and oranges. Israel was attacked. It is their war to fight (like Ukraine). And our decision to support with humanitarian or military aid.
Deliberately ignoring the difference between Hamas and Palestinian civilians is basically textbook racism, and it's something that an IDF soldier admitted that the army is doing:

What about the Nakba and the Naksa? You want to tell me some more about the history of this conflict?

Reactions: cernjSHU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT