ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Forrester

Although we are still on Reid's short list, unless he is ready to commit by the end of the summer, I still think two ships ought to go to two big forwards among Forrester, Manual, and Harris.

Reactions: shupat08
Although we are still on Reid's short list, unless he is ready to commit by the end of the summer, I still think two ships ought to go to two big forwards among Forrester, Manual, and Harris.

We lead for Manuel but Reid will be a tough get. If Kentucky offers its probably over.

Of course we are better with 3-4 year players. In the case of Naz Reid the staff has been recruiting him for years now. I think when Naz was a freshman he was already being consider one of the best kids in his class but he was right in our backyard. I'm sure the staff knew this would happen when Kentucky/Kansas/Louisville are now coming on strong. Is the staff supposed to stop recruiting him? I think all of us rationale fans know that more than likely the only way he's playing at SH is if he thinks he wants to play close to home and that he'll only have to play one year in college before going to the NBA. Maybe he and Jevhon decide to play together but we all know that hardly ever plays out. So are we better with the 75-100 players the answer is yes but each case is so different and player by player.

I am all for getting a one and done. But I do wonder if we are better off with kids in the 75-100 range that will be around 3-4 years.
In today's game,there are very few 4 year players as kids are transferring
at record numbers.

If a one and done type kid wants to come to SHU you drive the LOI to his house to make sure he signs it and worry about the future on another day.

Technically Nzei is not yet, because he could theoretically graduate in 2018 and play the fourth year someplace else. Not that he would, but that's how a lot of guys nowadays do it.

Technically Nzei is not yet, because he could theoretically graduate in 2018 and play the fourth year someplace else. Not that he would, but that's how a lot of guys nowadays do it.

Technically he has also been at SHU for 3 years and counting next year a 4th year.

Reactions: dmwisc&illinois
How many kids have left the program during their 4 years?
One kid who was a factor. He got drafted. I take a reid or duval in a heartbeat, but having a group like our seniors is my preference and will work best for us imo.

I am all for getting a one and done. But I do wonder if we are better off with kids in the 75-100 range that will be around 3-4 years.

I don't wonder it, I totally buy it. I'd even extend the 75-100 range to 200. Butler and Creighton --to name just two-- have thrived with that approach.

Since I don't think we have a chance for the Ranney duo, I'd go hard after Mulcahy. Mulcahy and Kofi as the top 2 targets in 2019.

Reactions: mbraue
Give me 1 and dones all day. The best teams all have one and dones. Once one goes to the NBA more sign to the program and the cycle continues. Were not going to get a ton of 1 and dones but consistently having 1 every now and then will be nothing but positive for our recruiting. Especially if they are local.

Look at what Whitehead did for us

Paul Mulcahy is a special player who has uncanny vision and passing ability that makes everyone around him better. Would be a huge get for the Hall.

Reactions: mbraue
Paul Mulcahy is a special player who has uncanny vision and passing ability that makes everyone around him better. Would be a huge get for the Hall.
His basketball IQ is excellent. He seems to be the smartest guy on the floor which is special since he is always playing with and against older players.

Would expect him to be a bit more selfish his Junior and Senior years and look to score more which he definitely can do.

BTW, it won't be the same without St Anthony but NJ HS basketball should be very competitive next year. St Pats pretty much dominated last season but there seems to be a lot of teams that can compete for the TOC. All of the transfers haven't been finalized so rosters aren't known but the way it looks now....

Hudson Catholic with their Big 3 as Seniors.
Roselle with Naz and Whitney.
East Side and Linden are always there and Tavon Jones is a Senior.
Don Bosco with Earlington continuing to improve as a Senior.
Ranney with Lewis, Antoine, Sarnor and added Savior.
St Pats lost 7 D-1 Seniors but will have Valdir, Dawes and several other D-1 players.
St Mary's 2 big guys are Seniors.
Gil with Mulcahy, Montclair Immaculate with Carey as a Senior. Teaneck with Jaqaye James.

Don't forget Mater Dei. Best team in the shore two yrs running and just got King Rice's son, plus who knows what other transfers Gamble will reel in. Wish they played the Ranney Mater Dei game at Convention Hall or some gym with enough seats.

His basketball IQ is excellent. He seems to be the smartest guy on the floor which is special since he is always playing with and against older players.

Would expect him to be a bit more selfish his Junior and Senior years and look to score more which he definitely can do.
Sounds a lot like Bob Hurley when he was playing with the Playaz at an early age.

Yes I do. Thanks for the correction.

I remember the first time I saw Hurley play for Sandy Pyonin's Roadrunners. That team was absolutely loaded led by a much older future SHU star Anthony Avent.

Hurley looked like he belonged in grammar school next to his more physically imposing teammates. But once the game started he was the toughest and most efficient player on the floor.

He had a good career but if he had more God given physical ability he would have been a superstar in the NBA.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/06/19/2018-forward-jake-forrester-visits-seton-hall-talks-recruiting/

Jake Forrester,
the 6-foot-9, 210-pound power forward from the Westtown (PA) School and the PSA Cardinals AAU program, took an unofficial visit to Seton Hall on Monday.

The Pirates view Forrester as a big priority for 2018 when they will lose forwardsAngel Delgado and Ish Sanogo.

“With them gone, I would come in and work hard and become a major priority in the system they run,” he said by phone. “I would come in, put in the work and become a major part at Seton Hall.”

Forrester is ranked the No. 23 power forward in the Class of 2018 per 247Sports.com.

“I’m just a high-motor energy guy, playing above the rim and being able to shoot the 15-21 footer,” he said. “I would be a four man there, four/three, a pick-and-pop guy, shoot the three, all that.”

Forrester listed Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Miami, VCU, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Arizona State, South Carolina and Temple among the other schools recruiting him hard.

He visited Penn State last summer, South Carolina in May and will trip to Pitt on Thursday

“I plan on taking a lot of visits this summer,” he said.

As for cutting his list, he said he plans to at some point.

“I’m looking to cut my list down,” he said. “I’m going to cut it down after Peach Jam for sure, 100 percent.”

Reactions: shupat08
Also, if that's his list then we should be able to get him. We are the best program in that list.

I would still like to team him up with another PF like Manual. If not Manual, then maybe Harris. Together, along with Mamukelashvili, that would be a formidable front court to match our back court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT