ADVERTISEMENT

Jamari Wheeler

Had signed LOI with Duquense prior to their coaching change.

Have only seen parts of a few games but like what I see. 6'1 with long arms, some wiry strength. Has an extremley quick first step and ability to cross-over which allows him to get in the paint easily. Once there, he's a good finisher and passer. True PG type, not a great shooter but solid playmaker. Tough, good leader type. Staff went to see him today in Florida.

Been receiving new offers since getting his release last week. Penn St, VCU, Houston South Florida, Arkansas St have offered. Auburn & Tennessee involved.

This is either a very bad sign that's the staff is scrambling for a pg. on the other hand, the staff sees him as a backup of and is confident that they get Duval. However, with the past history of recruiting, this seems like the former.

And if so, how is it that Walker is not a better player with far more potential than this kid?

Maybe this kid is down with the plan to develop behind Duval and the other isn't?

Reactions: SPK145
I never heard of this kid before yesterday so my opinion is meaninglessness. We rightly killed kw for having no backup plan if we lost kyle. And we had that one won till the end. So maybe it is scrambling, and maybe it is due diligence. And of course it is possible that this kid was undervalued and can play.

As for walker, I have a hard time with this decision but maybe the staff is scared of his size. I don't agree if that is their opinion, and I will tell that to Sha and Kevin the next time they ask me.

Reactions: BabyBlue
Based on Jamari's Instagram message[Blessed to be offered by SHall!], sounds like he's really interested in coming here.
Now, the ?, if the staff offered him, can I assume that they did not offer Jordan W?
For, if they did, wouldn't he have already accepted when all the intelligence was that he was ready to commit to Seton Hall?

Where do we stand with Duval? It's been very quiet
Duval has not wavered in any of his public comments since the fall - he is waiting until late April/early May to make his decision based on how the rosters of each team shake out.

Recruiting HS point guards has not been a strength of this staff. To date, in the last three recruiting classes, ( 15,16,17 ) SH is the only BE school to not have signed a PG out of the HS ranks and the point guards we have signed in that 3 year period have been transfers. While our 2017 recruiting cycle is not over , other then Duval, none of the HS names mentioned that we've offered stand out as high quality players and we seem to be in our annual scramble mode to find a PG.

If wheeler is cool with committing to shu to play behind Duval is be cool with that.

Question is what's happens if Duval doesn't come here? Would darrington and wheeler be enough?

Point guards are everywhere and this staff can't get a decent one

If Duval does not come, I think Carrington is going to have make a major jump in being a point guard.

Reactions: deheremike
If you think about it our head coach and two of our assistant coaches all played the point in college and Sha had an outstanding career at SH including his performance in the NCAA's to point to when we make our pitch to our PG targets. . When you add that to Sha's growing reputation as a coach and teacher who can improve the play of guards that have played under him why we continue to struggle to find high quality PG's to commit to us is puzzling. I do hope we finally end our failure to sign that high caliber PG with Duval but unfortunately his decision is not going to come quickly and whether that delay will turn off other options , especially among the better immediately eligible PG's has yet to play out.

If wheeler is cool with committing to shu to play behind Duval is be cool with that.

Question is what's happens if Duval doesn't come here? Would darrington and wheeler be enough?

If this were to come true, this would be a major failure of such proportions, that it would indicate that Willard has failed to turn the corner. Any success was based on one class and one class only.

It's tough to turn down blue blood programs, HOF coaches etc. Rooting for you guys to get this guy because it would be good for the conference.

Nigel was not really a point guard. He liked to shoot and played quite well at the end of the season. He could handle the ball quite well but rarely got an assist. I hope he does well at Virginia but he very possibly will play less minutes than he did at RU.

Any PG target for 2017 knows we are targeting Duval first and that Duval is going to dominate the playing time. That has ramifications because kids want to play. I think we're setting unrealistic expectations if we think we're getting two stud PG's in the same class.

You are more than likely to either get a JUCO or under-recruited 4-year player with some upside like Wheeler as the second.

The gamble is Duval. It could up the same as Anderson a few years ago.

Any PG target for 2017 knows we are targeting Duval first and that Duval is going to dominate the playing time. That has ramifications because kids want to play. I think we're setting unrealistic expectations if we think we're getting two stud PG's in the same class.

You are more than likely to either get a JUCO or under-recruited 4-year player with some upside like Wheeler as the second.

The gamble is Duval. It could up the same as Anderson a few years ago.

You're probably right on all your points but the still open question in my mind is are the PG's that we're recruiting , other then Duval, good enough to give us what we need to get to the tourney again in the finale season for the core four.

This gamble is very similar to last year where we were forced to wait on Whitehead until the last minute meaning we lost out on some highly rated points. Thank God we lucked out late with Jones.

It's tough to turn down blue blood programs, HOF coaches etc. Rooting for you guys to get this guy because it would be good for the conference.
Thing is Duval is just so different from other recruits in regards to his thought process. Top recruits flock to Calipari because of his track record of getting players drafted and the track record of those players getting that big second contract. In Duval's mind he doesn't need that. He has said and his father has said that it doesn't matter what school he goes to. He could go to FDU and he will still be a lottery pick. It's all about his image and his marketability.

In a way I believe that Arizona is the biggest threat. But I also think he'd be scared away from them because of the east coast Bias. Players on the east coast just get better publicity unless you have a dad who is just completely off his rocker.

This gamble is very similar to last year where we were forced to wait on Whitehead until the last minute meaning we lost out on some highly rated points. Thank God we lucked out late with Jones.
CU and XU lost PGs midseason and did pretty well. Excuses.....

Would darrington and wheeler be enough?

IMHO that would mean Seton Hall is again very near the bottom of the BE at the PG spot. Could/would still make the NCAA's but would be a similar season to this past season.

Next season is Sweet 16 or bust. Doesn't mean Willard should be fired/on the hot seat or anything silly like that but would be disappointing elsewise.

IMHO that would mean Seton Hall is again very near the bottom of the BE at the PG spot. Could/would still make the NCAA's but would be a similar season to this past season.

Next season is Sweet 16 or bust. Doesn't mean Willard should be fired/on the hot seat or anything silly like that but would be disappointing elsewise.

Agree with you as well.

It was more of a hypothetical question. And thencthat would put us all in on JQ the following year who everyone believes is headed to Nova.

Chances that Carrington is our starting pg next year? Higher than 50%?

Chances that Carrington is our starting pg next year? Higher than 50%?

Just out of curiosity. Assuming the worse (i.e., we recruit no PG's for next season), between Carrington, Powell, Gordon, and Cale, is Carrington the one with the most PG skill to do the PG job?

Don't want to pick up Wheeler unless we really see him as a starting prospect down the road. Edited this post because it appears he may be picking up some interest per his twitter from high majors. I'm hesitant about his ceiling based on his previous list of offers. Willard has recruited tons of kids that hypothetically "gave us depth" in the last few years. Then those kids never see the floor because they aren't BE players.

Darrington I get. He's getting offers from Tenn, Memphis. He's a JUCO so you have to hope he is ready to make an immediate impact even as back up PG. Walker, of course I get. Bunch of high major offers and has the propensity to lead as a sophomore. It's obvious recruiters are seeing big potential.

Last edited:
This is a big time year and we need to be at max potential at each position. A true great point guard is needed along with another big man to help Angel with solid backups

Reactions: shupat08 and Flnj86
It's amazing how no one wants to be a bench player for SHU. But Nova, CU, X, Butler, MU, GTown all are able to get legit players to sit on their bench....
We are still gaining resect as a program where you wait your turn. Getting there, but it is taking time.
The next 2-3 years should do it.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT