ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry’s column. “They’re right”

As I said I think you could have made an argument for MSU / UVA to not be in the dance.

But if I were to play devils advocate and defend Michigan St., here is how I would do it.

Strength of schedule 14th in the country. We were 44. They Only played four quad 4 opponents we played 9.

Their SOS is not over inflated by their conference only like someone from the B12. Their OOC SOS was 44. We were 226.

Win against Baylor (N) by 22 when we lost to the same team on the road by 18.
Win against fellow bubble team Indiana St.
Win against 13 NET Illinois at home.

Our two big wins plus SJU (2) are better than those big wins for them. But not a monumental margin. @ Providence and @ Butler look like OK / decent wins now. Nothing Quad 1 spectacular.

They played AZ (lost by 6) Duke (lost by 9) Purdue twice (lost by 5 and 6). We played other top teams and got absolutely crushed.

We only have 1 more total win than them. And 2 less losses. Not a huge difference either.

they were 15-14 Q1/2/3, we were 11-12

Lastly their NET is 25 and ours is 67.

I thought our big wins could put us ahead of them but the overall body of work you can say that MSU has a case to be in over a team like Seton Hall.

Besides the UConn win where does our resume out class theirs?

First off, you're arbitrarily discounting two quad 1 wins of @Butler and @Providence. Those two road wins are better than anything Michigan State had on the road this season. Michigan State three road wins were Maryland, Michigan and Penn State. A real murders row there of mediocrity.

We were 5-8 in Q1 (3-6 in Q1-A), they were 3-9 (2-7 in Q1-A)

We were 9-11 in Q1/Q2, they were 9-14.

We had a strength of record of 37. Theirs is 52.

We were 20-12, they were 19-14 which is both the least number of wins and most losses for an at-large team selected this season.

NET isn't supposed to be a selection tool, only a tool for seeding (at least that's what the metrics bros loved to say all season, but you apparently feel differently).

They may have played a harder non-conference, but they did squat, aside from a neutral court win played in Detroit. Our resume outclasses them at every point.

Last edited:
First off, you're arbitrarily discounting two quad 1 wins of @Butler and @Providence. Those two road wins are better than anything Michigan State had on the road this season. Michigan State three road wins were Maryland, Michigan and Penn State. A real murders row there of mediocrity.

We were 5-8 in Q1 (3-6 in Q1-A), they were 3-9 (2-7 in Q1-A)

We were 9-11 in Q1/Q2, they were 9-14.

We had a strength of record of 37. Theirs is 52.

We were 20-12, they were 19-14 which is both the least number of wins and most losses for an at-large team selected this season.

NET isn't supposed to be a selection tool, only a tool for seeding (at least that's what the metrics bros loved to say all season, but you apparently feel differently).

They may have played a harder non-conference, but they did squat, aside from a neutral court win played in Detroit. Our resume outclasses them at every point.
winning at Butler is meaningless, it being a Q1 win does not fool anyone..its on the same level of a win at Maryland.

MSU had 15 wins in Q1/2/3, SHU only 11. Their sos non conference crushed yours and do not forget a win over Indiana State who was third team out. A loss to James Madison who was 30-3 isnt bad.

all over your metrics except sor were terrible

but here is the deal..it is michigan state vs shu

its shu getting left out because there were 3-4 bid stealers..that is why, accept that

winning at Butler is meaningless, it being a Q1 win does not fool anyone..its on the same level of a win at Maryland.

MSU had 15 wins in Q1/2/3, SHU only 11. Their sos non conference crushed yours and do not forget a win over Indiana State who was third team out. A loss to James Madison who was 30-3 isnt bad.

its shu getting left out because there were 3-4 bid stealers..that is why, accept that

Get real. Winning at Butler is not the same as winning at Maryland. You glossed over winning at Providence as well. Thanks for the laugh BAC!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gritty5837
Even if you do mental gymnastics to make a case for MSU, they got what seed? And we are out. I don't doubt that Izzo got the benefit of the doubt like Boeheim used to get. How many 14-loss at large teams got in this year?

The seed lines are inflated because of the bid stealers. The play-in games are on the 10 line. That means three of the 9's were among the last four byes (with 10-Nevada). The 9's this year are 10's or 11's in a "normal" year.

Get real. Winning at Butler is not the same as winning at Maryland. You glossed over winning at Providence as well. Thanks for the laugh BAC!
You do realize that regardless of Maryland being 16-17. They lost a total of 11 games by a score of 6 points or less. If I am not mistaken prior to their last few game meltdown, they were ranked number one in the Big 10 in defensive efficiency.

Butler 68 NET
Maryland 82 NET.

this is why the NET is not a ranking system, but a sorting tool. Butler and Maryland in terms of quality of opponent were very similar this year.

Reactions: Piratz

But they said it was Q1 wins. And MSU only had 3.

You do realize that regardless of Maryland being 16-17. They lost a total of 11 games by a score of 6 points or less. If I am not mistaken prior to their last few game meltdown, they were ranked number one in the Big 10 in defensive efficiency.

Butler 68 NET
Maryland 82 NET.

this is why the NET is not a ranking system, but a sorting tool. Butler and Maryland in terms of quality of opponent were very similar this year.

Do you actually watch the games? Maryland absolutely stinks. They are what their record is. I don't care what some bs NET metric says. Their two best wins are over Illinois and a Nebraska team that couldn't find their way out of a paper bag on the road.

Butler beat Texas Tech and Boise State in the non-conference as well as Marquette and Creighton.

Last edited:
Do you actually watch the games? Maryland absolutely stinks. They are what their record is. I don't care what some bs NET metric says. Their two best wins are over Illinois and a Nebraska team that couldn't find their way out of a paper bag on the road.

Butler beat Texas Tech and Boise State in the non-conference as well as Marquette and Creighton.
Remember according to some on this board, I have this secret obsession with hating Kevin Willard. So yes. I have watched a ton of Maryland and Rutgers basketball. Because misery loves company. So why not root from them to lose.

If Kevin’s team could hit the broad side of a barn this season from 3, they would have probably made the NCAA tournament. I think they shot collectively around 27% on the season and were near the bottom of all men’s D1 basketball with that stat.

And since I actually did watch their games, most of those shots were pretty darn wide open.

His team clearly quit on him in the last few, then they trounced Rutgers in the B10 tourney, before laying an egg to Wisconsin (down 81-40 at one point).

But that doesn’t discount that were competitive most times and on the road as well.

Close loses:
@ Minnesota by 3
@ Northwestern by 3
MSU by 2
@ Michigan st by 9
Vs Rutgers by 3
@ Ohio st by 4 (2 OT)
Illinois by 5
@ Wisconsin by 4
Northwestern by 7
Indiana by 5

Two things to end this post.
1. see I said something positive about Kevin.

2. How do you have the audacity to call me out and say “Do I watch the games?” Not trying to be a pompous prick, but I think I have a fairly decent reputation for knowing what I am talking about and normally back up my comments with supporting facts.

Do you just spew s**t back on the internet and think you’re a tough guy because of the words you choose. As Tom normally says to me. “Who peed in your cornflakes today?” Well obviously you did. Apologize to the board in advance for being a little salty today. Not making the tourney still stings.

Reactions: TheHall87 and shu09
Remember according to some on this board, I have this secret obsession with hating Kevin Willard. So yes. I have watched a ton of Maryland and Rutgers basketball. Because misery loves company. So why not root from them to lose.

If Kevin’s team could hit the broad side of a barn this season from 3, they would have probably made the NCAA tournament. I think they shot collectively around 27% on the season and were near the bottom of all men’s D1 basketball with that stat.

And since I actually did watch their games, most of those shots were pretty darn wide open.

His team clearly quit on him in the last few, then they trounced Rutgers in the B10 tourney, before laying an egg to Wisconsin (down 81-40 at one point).

But that doesn’t discount that were competitive most times and on the road as well.

Close loses:
@ Minnesota by 3
@ Northwestern by 3
MSU by 2
@ Michigan st by 9
Vs Rutgers by 3
@ Ohio st by 4 (2 OT)
Illinois by 5
@ Wisconsin by 4
Northwestern by 7
Indiana by 5

Two things to end this post.
1. see I said something positive about Kevin.

2. How do you have the audacity to call me out and say “Do I watch the games?” Not trying to be a pompous prick, but I think I have a fairly decent reputation for knowing what I am talking about and normally back up my comments with supporting facts.

Do you just spew s**t back on the internet and think you’re a tough guy because of the words you choose. As Tom normally says to me. “Who peed in your cornflakes today?” Well obviously you did. Apologize to the board in advance for being a little salty today. Not making the tourney still stings.

I deal in reality. Maryland stunk plain and simple. It's about wins and losses, not being competitive in losses in a crappy big Ten or if they made open 3s or their NET.

You can make every excuse and twist reality to somehow argue that beating Maryland was as good a win as beating Butler, but it's not in reality.

I'm not really sure the need for the rant at the end.

Last edited:
Left Coast i appreciate you know your stuff. It just blows my mind that margin of victory is even considered. A win is a win, who cares by how much? Often times it is literally end of game nonsense, and it keeps hard working kids who bust their butts in practice off the court when they would be getting a few deserved reps because they may miss a layup and change the final from 10 to 9? That the committee uses margin of victory is a joke.
Can we be far from when covering the spread becomes a factor too?

Left Coast i appreciate you know your stuff. It just blows my mind that margin of victory is even considered. A win is a win, who cares by how much? Often times it is literally end of game nonsense, and it keeps hard working kids who bust their butts in practice off the court when they would be getting a few deserved reps because they may miss a layup and change the final from 10 to 9? That the committee uses margin of victory is a joke.
Can we be far from when covering the spread becomes a factor too?
The comment above has nothing to do with margin of victory. I think we all are getting dizzy over different debates on different evaluation criteria. This is solely to blame on the committee because their answers to questions were so inconsistent.

Bac2theRac clearly was trying to make a point that a Seton Hall win @ Butler compared to a Michigan State win @ Maryland in the eyes of the committee are closer than you realize.

Everyone wants to say Butler was 18-14 and had these quality wins (which they did). Vs Maryland who sucked and finished 16-17.

I don’t believe a specific metric score should determine if a team should get in over another MSU (25) UVA (54) SHU (67) when comparing the NET.

But the concept of the NET is to try and determine if a win @ Butler or a win @ Maryland is comparable or in completely different ballparks.

Not everyone can watch every game or every team throughout the year, so the concept behind metrics is to try and create some comparative buckets of teams. That’s it. Everyone gets so hung up on it beyond that. I really don’t understand why. Maybe it’s just easy to look at a list and complain about the order, cause that’s what we do.

Last edited:
You guys criticizing BAC are off base. He really is an expert in this stuff. His bracket projection was the 3rd most accurate in the country. Way ahead of Wachtell, Palm, Lunardo, etc. He knows his stuff and knows how the committee thinks. You might not like his message, but it's accurate.

MSU had a great NET and beat some good teams and lost to great teams.

They played 13 teams in the tournament. It looks like Seton Hall played 7.

They also beat RU decisively at HOME and you lost to them at HOME.
When You are in the BIG (Pre)TEN(d) , you get to play a ton of Teams in the Tournie :cool:
When You are in BIG EASt you get to play maybe 2/3 in Tournie :-(

ACC was horrible this year but a back end Virginia gets in over the 4th best team in the Big East? Just terrible. And Dayton - gimme a break. The Committee didn't take a step back to look at what they did and fix it. And the big conferences have the most seats at the table so they were all in on the FB schools. Sad.

And to make matters worse, our Commissioner doesn't stick up for us. Do you think Stankey (SEC) or the ACC or BIG commissioners would have been quiet if their conference got 3 bids? No way. Val really Shit the bed with that late, lame 3 paragraph comment from the league. Rubbed salt in the wound and seemed to blame the BE teams instead of sticking up for the 2nd best conference in the league.

I follow you over at the RU board. Some good stuff. But saying beating Butler is the same as beating Maryland and forgetting about PC? Lost some credibility with that response.

@sussexcopirate has some good posts in this thread. I typically side with the “do better” crowd, not in this case. The committee chair sounded like a moron yesterday. He mentioned Michigan States “Q1 wins” - SHU, SJU and Providence had more. Its so obvious they just go with who they want.

the only rationale on the “do better” is we’re never going to get favors on the bubble and we need to prepare accordingly in the future. Is what it is.

What the BE coaches, and really all coaches should want is CLEAR criteria. They selectively choose their favorite points for each team - one team is in b/c of Q1 wins, one is in b/c of OOC.

For the 50th time; why the guessing game on this? Just tell everyone the order of importance, publicly, and let teams schedule accordingly….and be prepared to be held to the fire on it (exactly why they don’t want it)

You guys criticizing BAC are off base. He really is an expert in this stuff. His bracket projection was the 3rd most accurate in the country. Way ahead of Wachtell, Palm, Lunardo, etc. He knows his stuff and knows how the committee thinks. You might not like his message, but it's accurate.
He hates the big east as much as the committee so the more teams they leave out, the better his projections are. Lmao. I kid, I kid.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
@sussexcopirate has some good posts in this thread. I typically side with the “do better” crowd, not in this case. The committee chair sounded like a moron yesterday. He mentioned Michigan States “Q1 wins” - SHU, SJU and Providence had more. Its so obvious they just go with who they want.

the only rationale on the “do better” is we’re never going to get favors on the bubble and we need to prepare accordingly in the future. Is what it is.

What the BE coaches, and really all coaches should want is CLEAR criteria. They selectively choose their favorite points for each team - one team is in b/c of Q1 wins, one is in b/c of OOC.

For the 50th time; why the guessing game on this? Just tell everyone the order of importance, publicly, and let teams schedule accordingly….and be prepared to be held to the fire on it (exactly why they don’t want it)
Agree. Lay out the criteria before the season starts. Danny had it right— it’s a shell game.

Thanks. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some of these asinine justifications that really insult everyones intelligence.

I agree, I appreciate his insights. But even Wachtel said SHU should have been in, particularly over MSU. That said, he seemed to know how the committee was going to go -- with Izzo.

Reactions: Merge
I agree, I appreciate his insights. But even Wachtel said SHU should have been in, particularly over MSU. That said, he seemed to know how the committee was going to go -- with Izzo.
over msu no...brad should know better, he was playing to the crowd

I follow you over at the RU board. Some good stuff. But saying beating Butler is the same as beating Maryland and forgetting about PC? Lost some credibility with that response.
beating butler is the same as beating maryland basically yes...for starters look at the nets...you have inflated sense of your league.

you beat Providence but also lost to them so....

you lost to iowa, usc, and rutgers

Reactions: shu09

and what is butler...they stunk it up at the end of the year....and thats with 4 autowins built into their schedule

beating butler is the same as beating maryland basically yes...for starters look at the nets...you have inflated sense of your league.

you beat Providence but also lost to them so....

you lost to iowa, usc, and rutgers
No Richmond for the Providence game. If we are to believe the committee chair that game apparently doesn’t count.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT