ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry C on SHU's postseason

First I heard of the Broken foot. It was always a total mystery as to what his injury was from what I remember. Looking forward to seeing Godswill on the court next fall.

You just missed it Don. The broken foot was not a mystery. The proposed injury update however is.

Nice reporting by Jerry.

Reactions: Bluebeard
I don’t understand the “tone down the non conference schedule”.

What are we supposed to do, take no risks?

We already had St Peters, FDU, Wagner, Albany, and Monmouth. How many more of those games are we supposed to play? I already think that’s way too many

We already had St Peters, FDU, Wagner, Albany, and Monmouth. How many more of those games are we supposed to play? I already think that’s way too many
I dont think its really rewarded like we think it is....especially with next years team just play cupcakes. Get wins and kill teams by as much as possible.

Always be worried about a broken foot! Think Fremantle of Xavier.
Freemantle had a Lisfranc injury. one of the most difficult injuries for a big man to navigate. Hopefully Godswill doesn’t have the same and we’ll be in the clear

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I dont think its really rewarded like we think it is....especially with next years team just play cupcakes. Get wins and kill teams by as much as possible.
It looks like we were left out this year because of our non conference. Virginia (who had a decent non con) was surprisingly in the field. Softening the non conference seems like a mistake.

You would hope DePaul and Georgetown will be better, but that was 3 Q4 games during conference play this season. You can't have mostly cupcakes in OOC if that is the case. We ended the year with 9 Q4 games, which was quite a bit more than Mich St. and Virginia.

Reactions: TomD82

It looks like we were left out this year because of our non conference. Virginia (who had a decent non con) was surprisingly in the field. Softening the non conference seems like a mistake.
Yeah, I wouldn’t go softening it too much. You need a quality win or two and no disasters to have a balanced resume. Our non-con this year was to the extreme. Terrible.

I wonder what the future will hold with this whole situation with non-conference scheduling because power conferences keep merging, conference games keep increasing

Good job by Carino again to spell out the situation. Until we get to above average on NIL and competitive with some offers we’re going to be a feeder system of sorts. Once Richmond and Davis are officially receiving offers, I can’t imagine they don’t take them. They’re going to make more than trying to go pro.

It’s still remarkable we got by and had the season we did this year with the roster we had. All those things we pointed toward last year came up roses and were even better than expected (Richmond/Davids/center position/health, etc.). We at least can do things this offseason.

And fortunately next season is the final year for this 5th year COVID nonsense.

NIL still baffles me - Awesome work done in the past 12 months or so to double what we have etc. but to think as to what we (SHA) didnt have to work with.

I would have thought that based on some of the high priced events thta teh NIL would of been a bit higher, assuming those events were not greatly attended.

Question - are we limited it who can contribute to the NIL? we have a large campaign for the Practice Facility and trying to raise 40M and seem to be doing ok with that yet we are slow to raise $2M for the NIL

The transfer rules are the biggest joke here. Surely THAT could’ve been an area to be managed by the NCAA. NIL, fine, yeah we get it, but compounding it with true free agency like this is totally ridiculous.

Look at Aaron Estrada’s career:

2019-20 St. Peter’s MAAC ROY, transfers
2020-21 Oregon barely plays, transfers
2021-22 Hofstra CAA 1st Team
2022-23 Hofstra CAA 1st Team, transfers
2023-24 Alabama Final Four

Or how about our ol’ friend Femi Odukale? He’s going to be on his 4th in school in 4 seasons now after playing two at Pitt, one at Seton Hall, one at New Mexico State, and now his 5th year COVID benefit somewhere else.

Not bad for a player who left here for an issue that is best not discussed but one where it would have benefitted him to have stability at his next destination.

Of course that was all BS to allow him to get a waiver (when it was still needed).

Reactions: Piratz
Re: non conference, how about schedule more ok to bad teams rather than just straight up terrible ones (in terms of anticipated NET)?

NIL still baffles me - Awesome work done in the past 12 months or so to double what we have etc. but to think as to what we (SHA) didnt have to work with.

I would have thought that based on some of the high priced events thta teh NIL would of been a bit higher, assuming those events were not greatly attended.

Question - are we limited it who can contribute to the NIL? we have a large campaign for the Practice Facility and trying to raise 40M and seem to be doing ok with that yet we are slow to raise $2M for the NIL
Because it’s a constantly depleting fund.

It was hard being a D1 coach before - must be so much harder now. I know they get paid the big bucks but re-recruiting your entire team every year is just nuts.
IMO, no being able to exploit your true recruiting skills might be the real killer.

Reactions: Section112
IMO, no being able to exploit your true recruiting skills might be the real killer.
I still think you can exploit your true recruiting skills. It's just harder if you have to convince a kid to leave $ on the table. If I was a seasoned HC with a track record of developing professionals, my pitch would be to think of potential earnings long term as opposed to making "X" less for this one year. It's what I've done in business all the time, and the success varies from person to person. Of course, there are only so many coaches who can credibly make that claim. It helps having a track record of getting guys to the NBA and who stay there.

Agree 100%! I don’t want a schedule of Seton Hall vs the 7 NJ Mid-Majors! Ugh! That will kill momentum and ticket sales. That type of schedule will do absolutely nothing to prepare us for the Big East or the Big Dance.

What “large campaign” for the Practice Facility!? I donated to that because of posts here, not because I received any information from the university. They never sent anything!

"Tone down the non-conference schedule" strikes me as completely tone deaf given how Selection Sunday played out. Granted, Sha has been dropping these hints since he got the job so it's no surprise. Not wanting to honor the commitment to play Iona at MSG was a tell.

We went 7-4 against a non-conference schedule with a NET SOS of 227 (our overall SOS was 33) with one Q3 win and six Q4 wins.

In my view our schedule construction was fine. The execution wasn't and that's what blew up in our face. Making the schedule easier isn't the answer to me. I think it will serve to weaken our resume all else being equal.

But I guess if we can't beat sub .500 P5s, we have to load up on cupcakes

Our OOC schedule next year will be competitive. Charleston Classic should be three tough games plus Big 12 Challenge & Rutgers. The Big 12 game will be at the Rock.

I still think you can exploit your true recruiting skills. It's just harder if you have to convince a kid to leave $ on the table. If I was a seasoned HC with a track record of developing professionals, my pitch would be to think of potential earnings long term as opposed to making "X" less for this one year. It's what I've done in business all the time, and the success varies from person to person. Of course, there are only so many coaches who can credibly make that claim. It helps having a track record of getting guys to the NBA and who stay there.
I stick with my point and bet lots of kids will be sold by coach x but say yes to coach y and his double nil.

And the coaches who can talk of their nba player development dont have nil issues.

I just think pre nil sha gets kids we cant afford now.

Reactions: hallwins
Our OOC schedule next year will be competitive. Charleston Classic should be three tough games plus Big 12 Challenge & Rutgers. The Big 12 game will be at the Rock.
Exactly. 20 Big East games plus the five you mention leaves six to play around with. You know who a few of those will be. No need to challenge the world in those other two or three. As I’ve mentioned before, playing a local road game at a place like Monmouth or even St. Peter’s or NJIT for NET purposes wouldn’t be bad.

Georgetown & DePaul will be much better next year. Not that it's that much of a challenge.

Well there’s nowhere to go but up after 2-18. 8-12 would be a dramatic improvement.
And the two wins against DePaul, which should be lay-ups once again this year. Given his career, reach and GU NIL, you would think Cooley should definitely turn things around. 8 wins should be the floor for him.

The transfer rules are the biggest joke here. Surely THAT could’ve been an area to be managed by the NCAA. NIL, fine, yeah we get it, but compounding it with true free agency like this is totally ridiculous.

Look at Aaron Estrada’s career:

2019-20 St. Peter’s MAAC ROY, transfers
2020-21 Oregon barely plays, transfers
2021-22 Hofstra CAA 1st Team
2022-23 Hofstra CAA 1st Team, transfers
2023-24 Alabama Final Four

Or how about our ol’ friend Femi Odukale? He’s going to be on his 4th in school in 4 seasons now after playing two at Pitt, one at Seton Hall, one at New Mexico State, and now his 5th year COVID benefit somewhere else.
Apparently, no changes to come:

We will likely get 2 decent opponents in the Charleston Classic, NET 50 or better would be two Quad 1 games. RU will be a Quad 1 game. With 3 possible Q1 opportunities in the OOC schedule, toning down the remaining opponents shouldn't hurt. The key is to destroy the teams outside the NET 100.

We will likely get 2 decent opponents in the Charleston Classic, NET 50 or better would be two Quad 1 games. RU will be a Quad 1 game. With 3 possible Q1 opportunities in the OOC schedule, toning down the remaining opponents shouldn't hurt. The key is to destroy the teams outside the NET 100.

The real key to getting in is beating the teams you're supposed to beat - aka USC, Iowa, and Rutgers.

The real key to getting in is beating the teams you're supposed to beat - aka USC, Iowa, and Rutgers.
Yes, but we also can’t rely on beating two top 10 teams every year to carry us. Therefore scheduling a bunch of pushovers is a terrible udea

Sorry if I missed it. Who are the other teams in Charleston?

Charleston
Been trying to find out what other teams will be in Charleston. I’m coming up empty as all the searches are saying the teams will be announced this Spring. Dan has always said it’s the one of the best trips he’s taken. Has anyone seen any other teams we could be potentially playing? Might have to pull the trigger this year.

Been trying to find out what other teams will be in Charleston. I’m coming up empty as all the searches are saying the teams will be announced this Spring. Dan has always said it’s the one of the best trips he’s taken. Has anyone seen any other teams we could be potentially playing? Might have to pull the trigger this year.
I am 100% in, rumblings of a big NIL event down there as well which will be nice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT