ADVERTISEMENT

John Fanta Part 3

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zack Cziryak

TROVE: The Hall was able to kind of shake it off and go on to win the NIT Championship. That’s obviously a fun and awesome experience for the fans but how significant is it in the broader college basketball landscape?

FANTA: "It's not at the level that that making a Sweet 16 is. It's not at the level of making a run in the NCAA Tournament. But I do think it's important. I think it still carries weight. I think the NIT is going to be in a state of change here coming up with Fox Sports announcing that they're putting on a tournament of their own that's going to be around Final Four week, the Crown in Las Vegas, that's going to cause some differences with the NIT. But I think the NIT matters. It has significance for your program and your brand, and to win it the way that they did, with toughness and in dramatic fashion in an isolated TV window, that was big for the program and its brand.

Look, I'm not going to sit here and say the NIT is this massive moment that changes everything. But it is a historic moment for the program to be able to say they ended the season on a win. You appreciate that. And I think it was great for the program's momentum in their brand. Again I say, as this is happening as they're winning games in the NIT, if they could do it with their current state of affairs financially, think of what could happen if we boost that. I think it serves as a great example of what's possible under Shaheen Holloway in the postseason."

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News