ADVERTISEMENT

John Jastremski calls Craig Carton a ‘crook’ as WFAN radio spat gets ugly

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Ryan Glasspiegel

The beef is simmering!

Earlier this week, WFAN’s Craig Carton said that former WFAN and current Ringer and SNY broadcaster John Jastremski disregarded his radio advice – and took some potshots at Jastremski’s career decisions. Jastremski then fired back with a reference to Carton’s gambling scandal.

It began earlier this week when Carton and Evan Roberts were having a conversation during afternoon drive and Carton intimated that Jastresmki’s career has fallen off the map since ignoring his advice.

“The insight I gave him was — he’s not even in the business anymore, right?” Carton asked of Jastremski, who left WFAN for the Ringer last year. “I liked JJ a lot but that was not the smartest career move. I thought he went to work at McDonalds or something. As a a manager, not like flipping burgers or anything.”

Carton & Roberts” is simulcast on SNY, which also has a video content partnership with The Post.

Carton said that he advised Jastremski to say “NFL” instead of “National Football League” because “No one talks like that. [It’s] nails on a chalkboard.” Carton wanted Jastremski to “talk like normal people talk.”

Jastremski did not heed the advice, and years later it clearly left an impression on Carton – and Carton’s segment left a poor taste in Jastremski’s mouth.

On his Ringer podcast, “New York, New York,” Jastremski fired back.

“I don’t like going here with this stuff, ’cause I know this plays right into what this guy likes to do,” Jastremski said, as covered by Barrett Sports Media. “This is his M.O. This is what he’s done his entire career. It’s what he’s done for his entire career and he’s had success doing it. He lives for this stuff. But it really set me off. It set me off because I gotta see it on Barrett Sports Media while I’m on vacation. Like I wanna be bothered with this s–t, number one. Number two, it’s just tone-deaf, insulting, and flat-out rude every which way.

“Number one: going after people who work at McDonald’s? Who the hell are you to do that? Number two: You’re insulting a multi-billion dollar company where I work. I have a great job, a great platform, a great producer. I have two great jobs, I might add. And you’re insulting both of them. By the way, you’re on that network. Five days a week. And you’re insulting that network. How stupid are you? Taking shots at people of the network you’re on, I’m on. And I could tell you, it pays well. I do ok.”

Then Jastremski struck a personal blow.

“As for career advice? Guess what?” he asked. “I listen to legends. Bill Simmons, you ever hear of him? Worth a lot more than you. Mike Francesa? My boy Adam Schein? I listen to those guys. I’m not listening to a crook. So you know what? Go take a #$%&ing hike. How about that.”

In 2018, Carton was convicted of fraud in connection with a scheme in which he and two other men solicited money from investors to buy tickets using industry connections, and scalp them. Carton used the money in part to pay off gambling debts.

Carton served slightly over a year in prison, and was released in 2020. He returned to claim the top spot in sports in WFAN afternoon drive with Roberts, and now also hosts a morning show on FS1.

I used to be a fan of JJ, but part of what Carton is saying is true. If you follow JJ on Twitter his podcasts are extremely sporadic, and when he does put out content it’s usually as a 2-bit gambling hustler wannabe who never acknowledges that real downside of sports gambling.

It’s hard to believe he made the right choice leaving WFAN. Especially since he may have been given that afternoon drive slot.

As far as Carton goes, you know his act. His sports knowledge is limited, he does what he needs to get ratings and it works for the most part. I feel he’s more authentic than JJ at least.

Ringer is successful. Have no idea what that means for JJ compared to if he stayed in traditional radio. I liked him on Wfan and still listen at times on the Ringer.

Carton is what he is, but can’t take away that he gets ratings. He did in the morning and him and Evan are killing Kay and Company in the afternoon from what I read.

He gets ratings. Guess I am just old. But to me he is a whiny ahole who knows little about sports. Stopped listening to Boomer because of him.

He gets ratings. Guess I am just old. But to me he is a whiny ahole who knows little about sports. Stopped listening to Boomer because of him.
I didn’t like him at all in morning with Boomer, I do listen to him and Evan sometimes and find it usually entertaining. I think Evan being a sports geek is a good counter act to Carton’s minimal knowledge of sports.

Craig Carton’s response to John Jastremski in WFAN spat comes with warning​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Craig Carton played the “what did I do?” card and delivered a warning in the process.

This week, the WFAN afternoon drive co-host and former FAN talent John Jastremski have had a chippy back-and-forth. It began when Carton said Jastremski “shunned” his broadcasting advice and took potshots at his former colleague’s career. Jastremski fired back, saying he takes advice from people with better stature than a “crook” like Carton. Carton, claiming to hear about the specifics for the first time, wondered what he did wrong and said that he likes Jastremski before making a veiled threat.

Speaking on “Carton & Roberts” on Friday, Carton said that he had an “open door” to help Jastremski when the latter was getting started in his career.

What did I say, when I was relaying a story about trying to be a nice guy and a good co-worker and helping a young career blossom, when I went from telling that story, to all of a sudden, I guess [I’m seeing on Twitter], he’s calling me all these derogatory terms and telling me to eff off. Just walk me through it if I want to engage in this silly battle,” Carton said.

Carton was informed he’d joked that Jastremski — who left WFAN last year to host a New York centric podcast for Bill Simmons’ network at the Spotify-owned Ringer — was out of the business and working at McDonalds. Carton also intimated that Jastremski’s role on SNY — which airs a simulcast of “Carton & Roberts — was low-paid and not a special platform.

“Oh so I took a veiled little shot at him going to a podcast?” Carton asked, playing innocent. “So that’s the level of thin-skinned we all are now and insecure? … He attacked me and told me to eff off, and called me a crook, because I tried to help his career out? I thought from a career standpoint, being on WFAN was better than being on any podcast. That’s what we’re talking about? And I’m the bad guy?”

Carton also issued what amounted to a warning to Jastremski not to escalate.

“I like JJ,” he said, according to Awful Announcing. “But if you want to have a war, you’re picking the wrong guy.”

Carton invited Jastremski to come on the show and hash it out, but Jastremski was on vacation.

This all began when Carton took a shot at Jastremski’s relevance in the proverbial conversation, joking that he didn’t think Jastremski was still in the business anymore. Carton, who said sardonically that leaving WFAN “wasn’t the smartest career move,” joked that Jastremski was managing a McDonalds and was unimpressed with the SNY role: “You see lots of people on SNY, they pay like $30 a shift. Not a joke, $30 a shift.”

Carton said he advised Jastremski to say “NFL” instead of “National Football League” because “No one talks like that. [It’s] nails on a chalkboard.”

On his “New York, New York” podcast, Jastremski fired back at Carton.

“Number one: going after people who work at McDonald’s?” Jastremski asked. “Who the hell are you to do that? Number two: You’re insulting a multi-billion dollar company where I work. I have a great job, a great platform, a great producer. I have two great jobs, I might add. And you’re insulting both of them. By the way, you’re on that network. Five days a week. And you’re insulting that network. How stupid are you? Taking shots at people of the network you’re on, I’m on. And I could tell you, it pays well. I do ok.

“As for career advice? Guess what?” he asked. “I listen to legends. Bill Simmons, you ever hear of him? Worth a lot more than you. Mike Francesa? My boy Adam Schein? I listen to those guys. I’m not listening to a crook. So you know what? Go take a f–king hike. How about that.”

Carton served over a year in prison after he was convicted of fraud. Carton and two other investors had solicited investment in a plan to get tickets through industry connections and scalp them. Instead, Carton spent the money in part to cover gambling debts.

After an initial see-saw battle against “The Michael Kay Show” on ESPN New York, WFAN’s “Carton & Roberts” has solidified the top spot in sports in afternoon drive in New York.

Not really a fan of either guy here -- and I've only heard Carton's side to this point. By the same token I had no idea JJ had gone to The Ringer (and I generally keep up with this stuff), I figured he was still licking Francesa's boots.

IMO, both guys are right. Carton is a crook, though I give him credit for trying to make amends in his second act. In a world where gambling is an easy as going to McDonald's, he's serving as the cautionary voice for the potential spike in problem gambling.

Meanwhile, as I said I had no idea that JJ was working for The Ringer. Unless he's putting out regular content there, and it doesn't seem that he is from what I'm reading here, it's a step backward in my opinion. Oh, and Adam Schein is no legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT