ADVERTISEMENT

JP Pelzman

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
One of the worst days recently in my life occurred less than 2 short years ago when we all lost one of the very best sports writers in the Metropolitan area, JP Pelzman.

JP became more than just a co-worker here at Rivals. He became my friend as we talked 3,4 5 times a week about sports topics and the like.

JP was a humble man and it wasn't until his death that I found out about his academic career prior to his becoming a sports writer. Truthfully I should have known as whatever topic I brought up he was proficient. Yet, until I met his sister, who took care of all the arrangements and spoke with her did I find out why he was he was so respected and successful.

In his honor as we all missed him, evident at the church proceedings where in a coffin we all saw JP for the last time was a literal parade of local media members led by Jerry Carino, probably his best friend as they worked together for decades. As you can imagine Jerry was as distraught as I when we spoke sharing the news. It was almost immediately thereafter that Jerry decided on a way to honor his buddy and that was to create the annual J.P. Pelzman Media Award, given at home in the last game of the year to the Pirate who best deals with the media in the post game.

Tyrese Samuel won the initial award last year and Dre Davis won it last night. Two obvious winners as they both epitomized the ideals that everyone in Pirate Nation would be proud of.

GIR6CoZXMAAHd0f

It still breaks my heart that JP is gone. But I can't tell you how much it means that Jerry did what he did, not only with this award but ensuring that the Rock would hang a special plaque where JP sat in the media room writing his post game articles.

Two superstar writers but friends first and foremost....

GIR9xOlWAAA0lJI

RIP JP, you will be forever missed.

There is always one writer who asks the first question in the post game. That is obviously as it should be Jerry C. No one in that room epitomizes more what SHU sports writing is all about. But prior to that, even Jerry took a step back and JP was always given that honor. And believe me over the years some of the very best local metro media members frequented that room.

Call it what it was, the JP/Jerry show. And now one of the two greats is missing. But thanks to his friend he'll still always be recognized. Davis never met JP nor will future Pirate players. But his name will always be remembered by the recipient of the above reward.

There is always one writer who asks the first question in the post game. That is obviously as it should be Jerry C. No one in that room epitomizes more what SHU sports writing is all about. But prior to that, even Jerry took a step back and JP was always given that honor. And believe me over the years some of the very best local metro media members frequented that room.

Call it what it was, the JP/Jerry show. And now one of the two greats is missing, but thanks to his friend he'll still always be recognized. Davis never met JP nor will future Pirate players. But his name will always be remembered by the recipient of the above reward.
And jerry had a fabulous post game article that every shu fan should read. we are a very tiny school in the grand scheme of things, in a flooded market, but its amazing to have such genuine talent cover the school

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...l-locks-up-ncaa-tournament-berth/72879081007/

Reactions: Halldan1
Imagine me learning from JP and Jerry how to comport myself in a situation without any training at all when I got my first media pass.

I had no idea what to expect and of course never in my life had any proper training to do what I do now. But almost as soon as I started to work on this site Jerry introduced himself to me at a basketball event and told me to hang with him and he would teach me the ropes. This coming from a person I never met in my life.

Years later I got to know JP and he mentored me in writing stories for the Trove. I could never write like either of these two giants in the industry but the joy I took in doing so was because of each of these two friends.

I count myself blessed to know both JP and Jerry. Two special people in my life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT