ADVERTISEMENT

Kim English

And Sha never contacted another teams player prematurely?
He was punished for it, which must make the current free-for-all even more galling to him. But maybe he just made friends with player's mother. Might not have actually done anything dishonest, just against the rules.

I would like to think some still have integrity.
I don’t think it’s a matter of integrity. There are no rules anymore essentially. You can still have integrity on how you mentor, teach, and develop these young kids as a coach, while at the same time engaging in the same recruiting process that everyone does these days.

I didn’t think Sha had any less integrity when he got caught breaking the recruiting rules. He was an assistant trying to get players because that’s what most assistants do and how they show value.

He was punished for it, which must make the current free-for-all even more galling to him. But maybe he just made friends with player's mother. Might not have actually done anything dishonest, just against the rules.
Let’s not be naive. Kids are being contacted well before the season ends and the portal opens. Handlers want to get paid and coaches will use any back channel available. With no rules and little punishment it’s kill or be killed.

I’d be highly skeptical that everything fell into place with Middleton after he entered the portal.

It appears PC found themselves a keeper
The irony of PC is that they always seem to have a "keeper" who then leaves to go elsewhere. That's part of the PC coaching complex, which is very real. The documentary that was recently done about Cooley's departure gets into this with fan commentary. Go through their history, this is a program that had Pitino, Barnes, Gillen who all left to go to the NBA or other high major programs, and then of course Ed Cooley was viewed as the ultimate "keeper" long term, and we know what happened there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT