ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of decency in women’s basketball this season dragged sport to new low

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Phil Mushnick

Well, kiss another sport goodbye.

The record will not show that this was the season when women’s Division I college basketball was disemboweled by the same win-at-all-costs illnesses — incivilities, recruiting ugliness and adults whose obnoxious school-granted self-entitlement is confused with coaching skill and praised by frightened media — but that’s to be expected. The record shows that “Steroids” Bud Selig was worthy of fast-track enshrinement in MLB’s Hall of Fame.

This women’s season didn’t feature the usual suspects doing their best to make matters worse: Geno Auriemma at Connecticut mercilessly running up the score or Rutgers’ C. Vivian Stringer, answerable to no one while recruiting from the very bottom of the barrel (including a criminal who was arrested for a violent crime against an RU student) as her path to media-applauded success, top-25 rankings and millions in taxpayer-funded salary.

What this women’s season featured was a widespread depreciation of the standards of minimal decency, especially as practiced by our major universities.

It began in early September, when South Carolina women’s coach, Dawn Staley, a black woman who’d already made it clear that she’s both publicly vulgar and driven by dubious racism claims to solidify her power, declared that her team was cancelling games with BYU (this season and next) over an alleged episode in a Duke-BYU volleyball game, after which a black Duke player, Rachel Richardson, claimed a BYU fan persistently hollered a racial slur at her.

BYU first apologized to Duke and the player, then followed through on its promised investigation. After that, BYU apologized to the banned-by-knee-jerk fan for jumping to an erroneous conclusion, as the investigation found no evidence of Richardson’s claim after reviewing game audio and video, court-side game commentary, security camera video and audio, and interviewing “more than 50” nearby spectators.

NCAA_Iowa_South_Carolina_Basketball_09931-c2bad.jpg

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley.
AP

BYU assistant athletic director Jon McBride: “From our extensive review, we have not found any evidence to corroborate the allegation that fans engaged in racial heckling or uttered racial slurs at the event. As we stated earlier, we would not tolerate any conduct that would make a student-athlete feel unsafe.”

Yet Duke and South Carolina’s Staley claimed that BYU whitewashed the episode and that the African-American women on Duke’s team felt threatened, thus they’d stand by the Duke player’s story.

That made little sense as there were 5,500 in the house for that game. Not one confronted the accused spectator to demand that he or she cease?

Of course, Duke’s claim and Staley’s decision to cancel the games with BYU made big news, while BYU’s post-investigation response made little-to-none. The media can always be relied upon to play selectively stupid on racial matters (see: ESPN’s firing of Doug Adler, the Duke lacrosse team rape hoax).

Staley, after her undefeated team lost to Iowa in the Final Four, reacted to the pregame characterization of her team as “a bunch of bar fighters” — a compliment for their relentless play on both ends — by claiming the characterization was racist.

Otherwise, I suppose, her habit of kicking teams when they were way down and out — 60-point and 70-point wins — didn’t bother her in the least. She did, however, against predominantly black Hampton, win by just 85-38.

The women’s regular season was strewn with the once unfathomable — punchouts, hair-pullings, kicks to downed players and handshake-line hassles. Outside of YouTube videos, the media indulged the decay.

1478553548.jpg

Kim Mulkey talks to a referee.
Getty Images

The NCAA final, only to the surprise of those who didn’t know better, was beyond ugly. Iowa, led by Caitlin Clark, whose self-smitten antics brought to mind Megan Rapinoe, versus LSU’s transfer All-Stars, including Clark-mocking 6-foot-3 star Angel Reese, a shipper from Maryland, and two, ahem, “graduate students.” LSU was guard Alexis Morris’ fourth stop, as she previously played for Baylor, Rutgers and Texas A&M.

In a final that featured zero sportsmanship, including demonstrations of highly personal rancor and taunts, LSU won — the latest malodorous feather in coach Kim Mulkey’s hat.

Mulkey became a must-get for LSU after her Baylor teams made Auriemma’s UConn stompers seem kind. She was the proud adult that produced 111-43 versus Arkansas State, 117-24 over McNeese and 136-43 over Northwest State, among other conquests. Thank you, and come again!

Naturally, the ugly final to an ugly season was rationalized and applauded on ESPN. Former NBAer Kendrick Perkins: “It’s competition! This is what the game is all about!”

2023-03-27T043308Z_406848726_MT1USATODAY20327044_RTRMADP_3_NCAA-WOMENS-BASKETBALL-NCAA-TOURNAMENT-SE.jpg

Iowa’s Caitlin ClarkUSA
TODAY Sports

Since when? You’ve got to act like a creep to play and compete at any sport’s highest level? Pure, pandering garbage. Would Perkins teach the kids in his life to make a basket, then immediately denigrate their opponents?

We’ll wrap this up with the wisdom of reader Mark Dantonio:

“If we knew that Clark was acting the fool for trash-talking and gesturing — which we did — and lowering her game to depths now seen as a low standard, why then would the young woman from LSU [Reese] intentionally go lower? Was there no one on the LSU side to say, ‘Please don’t respond. Keep it classy. Be the adult in the room’?

“Where was any adult in the room to do the right thing — and on a national stage?

“And so the LSU player decided to copy off the paper of the kid we all knew had the wrong answer on the test.”

And almost overnight, as if on cue, bad became worse.

2023-04-02T230119Z_547913405_MT1USATODAY20379611_RTRMADP_3_NCAA-WOMENS-BASKETBALL-FINAL-FOUR-NATIONA.jpg

Angel ReeseUSA
TODAY Sports via Reuters Con

So the most depressing and uncivil season in women’s college basketball history — all of it certified by college presidents, college coaches and media — has ended.

The only thing missing from the women’s season that the men’s season included was recruits carrying guns, plus a couple of murders.

Reactions: HALL85 and CaptBob
Nobody on the iowaa staff to tell their player to knock it off. Its trash talking and getting in each others heads. Have u ever heard what the men say?

Doesn't help the equal pay calls.A real turn off.Have to focus on building the brand in a positive way to generate fans.

By Phil Mushnick

Well, kiss another sport goodbye.

I get not liking the antics, but come on.. name a time when women’s college basketball was more popular. Van Lith announced she’s leaving Louisville and is going to end up with an absurd NIL deal wherever she ends up.

A bit premature to kiss the sport goodbye.

He is right. Staley is a jack-a_ _; and BYU deserved a public apology.

Clark and Reese seem fine with the trash talking because it adds more social media follower$ for each of them. I’m not a fan of the trash-talking, what-about-me antics, but clearly they are screaming for attention in a sport where the men get 500% more attention.

Phil did not say anything that is incorrect and quite frankly said things that others are afraid to write about.

Last edited:
Reactions: donnie_baseball
I get not liking the antics, but come on.. name a time when women’s college basketball was more popular. Van Lith announced she’s leaving Louisville and is going to end up with an absurd NIL deal wherever she ends up.

Is it the sport or is it that sex sells….what do Van Lith and Olivia Dunne have in common?

Meanwhile, the sport is more popular than it's ever been.

Cause and effect? Or a case where we shine a light on things that we previously brushed aside due to apathy?

And, yes, as noted above, a microcosm of society (and sports).

Is it the sport or is it that sex sells….what do Van Lith and Olivia Dunne have in common?

I’ll be honest that having attractive players helps but in my opinion, the sport itself has improved significantly. If it wasn’t a good product, people still wouldn’t watch.

For example, (from my view) Van Lith is more attractive than Clark but Clark was the one creating the buzz this year because of her basketball ability, not her looks.

Reactions: hinson32
If they werent the Havinder twins, nobody cared about WBB this season so it seems on the net LOL

Reactions: HALL85
I’ll be honest that having attractive players helps but in my opinion, the sport itself has improved significantly. If it wasn’t a good product, people still wouldn’t watch.

For example, (from my view) Van Lith is more attractive than Clark but Clark was the one creating the buzz this year because of her basketball ability, not her looks.
Clark and Reese were hyped by the networks and to their credit, they put on a show during the tournament. But let’s be honest, woman’s NIL is going to be primarily driven by looks.

Paige Beukers makes much more than either.

And Caitlin Clark is doing her best for her brand.

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-...-important-nil-deal-helps-food-banks-in-iowa/

Last edited:
I saw the headline and immediately thought this sounds like an article that Mushnick wrote. Shouldve bet the farm on that 1. Life is too short to be this bitter

Reactions: SHUHobbit09
I never really watched til the national title game, but are those twins any good or just looks driven ?

That’s not what he was talking about … goodbye in terms of its purity being gone.

Reactions: HALL85
They had hire ratings than most of the mens games brother.
I seriously doubt the women had higher ratings than MOST of the men's games.The womens ratings were up and LSU-Iowa had 10M viewers but the average number of viewers for the tournaments were men 9.5M and women 2.2M.

Last edited:
Reactions: donnie_baseball
Clark and Reese were hyped by the networks and to their credit, they put on a show during the tournament. But let’s be honest, woman’s NIL is going to be primarily driven by looks.

Paige Beukers makes much more than either.

And Caitlin Clark is doing her best for her brand.

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-...-important-nil-deal-helps-food-banks-in-iowa/

Beukers is an incredible player though. She was out most of this year because of an injury and was last years POY.

I'm not saying that their looks aren't a factor. Clearly they are, and will be a large part of their branding.
Clark's reported deals are old right now though. She's going to get some massive deals and deservedly so.

Beukers is an incredible player though. She was out most of this year because of an injury and was last years POY.

I'm not saying that their looks aren't a factor. Clearly they are, and will be a large part of their branding.
Clark's reported deals are old right now though. She's going to get some massive deals and deservedly so.
Clark has the same number of Instagram followers now as Hanna Cavinder after her epic performance (Hanna is the sister that averaged 3 ppg). If not for the controversial comments and memes Clark and Reese made, we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion. I’m sure they were smart to do that to capitalize on the NCAA and their brand because that behavior is what sells today.

Phil is and always has been a bitter man whose columns are showcases for his prejudices. imho he is worthy of being ignored.

Right, dismiss everything in his column out of hand. Nothing to see there. I'm no Mush fan, either, but he makes some hard-to-ignore points.

Do you really think that the dollars-and-cents aspect of it is what Mushnick was getting at?

Clark has the same number of Instagram followers now as Hanna Cavinder after her epic performance (Hanna is the sister that averaged 3 ppg).

Right. I agreed that looks will play a large part of the deals that the girls will be getting.

I seriously doubt the women had higher ratings than MOST of the men's games.The womens ratings were up and LSU-Iowa had 10M viewers but the average number of viewers for the tournaments were men 9.5M and women 2.2M.
It's not an apples to apples comparison given that many of the first weekend games were on Tru TV, TNT and TBS but it's not as outlandish as your think. The average viewers through the regional finals were 9.1 million.

Obviously not every game hit that average but I doubt many did above 10 million either. The ones that did were likely on CBS during the Saturday or Sunday time slots.

Consider the effect for a moment of the Women's Finals (10 million) and Semi-Finals (4.5 million on ESPN) on the Women's overall average and you can see the Men's Final Four helped push it's average up as well.

Reactions: setonball46
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT