ADVERTISEMENT

Last Dance Done

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
Good distraction the last 5 weekends, a bit underwhelming overall...imagine this though any major athlete blowing off reporting to practice in the postseason only to be seen on pro wrestling in prime time...in the social media age 24 hour cycle that would be so crazy

Reactions: Hallsome
I enjoyed it. I used to watch all the NBA playoffs and loved watching Jordan back then. You just knew he was going to get hot when the game was on the line. He was as close to automatic when his team needed it as any other player I've ever seen. I remember the playoffs with the Pistons, Celtics, Knicks and Pacers. Those series were almost always better than the actual Championship games. The Jazz finals were fun because watching Stockton and Karl Malone was terrific (those two had such chemistry) but you knew somehow Michael was going to get it done. I liked the fact that is was a mostly basketball-focused series.

So many sports stories now are about hardships (true or made-up) and all that stuff - everyone seems to have a story. I really liked that this focused mostly on the games and players and personalities surrounding the players and not all that other stuff that is overdone with today's media IMO. It was a sports series focused on arguably the best player ever in the NBA. It met it's objectives for me.

Underwhelming!?!
Yes this was too closed off...they should have touched on the jvg calling Jordan a con man...also the Jordan shot to win the finals game in 97 comes after league mvp karl malone missed 2 fts with game tied and 8 seconds left after pippen told him the mailman doesnt deliver on sundays...
I will give props for showing the rodman media escape, dicaprio and sandman cameos and the piano scene in hotel room. One other thing Ahmad Rashad was too close to Jordan.

Yes this was too closed off...they should have touched on the jvg calling Jordan a con man...also the Jordan shot to win the finals game in 97 comes after league mvp karl malone missed 2 fts with game tied and 8 seconds left after pippen told him the mailman doesnt deliver on sundays...
I will give props for showing the rodman media escape, dicaprio and sandman cameos and the piano scene in hotel room. One other thing Ahmad Rashad was too close to Jordan.
Disagree. They probably got Jordan's approval on a lot of this but the tradeoff was that also got them access to his comments and opinions. That was a good tradeoff IMO.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I enjoyed it. I used to watch all the NBA playoffs and loved watching Jordan back then. You just knew he was going to get hot when the game was on the line. He was as close to automatic when his team needed it as any other player I've ever seen. I remember the playoffs with the Pistons, Celtics, Knicks and Pacers. Those series were almost always better than the actual Championship games. The Jazz finals were fun because watching Stockton and Karl Malone was terrific (those two had such chemistry) but you knew somehow Michael was going to get it done. I liked the fact that is was a mostly basketball-focused series.

So many sports stories now are about hardships (true or made-up) and all that stuff - everyone seems to have a story. I really liked that this focused mostly on the games and players and personalities surrounding the players and not all that other stuff that is overdone with today's media IMO. It was a sports series focused on arguably the best player ever in the NBA. It met it's objectives for me.
It was heavily regulated and biased when the lead subject is also creative control.

I watched it but wasn't blown away by it. Jordan was clearly a superman on the court, but I saw enough of him in this series to tell me he is a pretty big a*hole as a person. That diminished my enjoyment of the series a bit. And as NYShoreguy points out, Jordan and his production arm were behind it all so we were only going to see what he would allow. So this was entertainment, not journalism. But during these times of no sports it was a most welcome presence.

MJ was great. But it would have been great if he ever faced a REALLY GREAT team in the finals. MJ in a laker/celt 80s type matchup would have been awesome. (Almost as good as the original!!)

I have not watched one second of any sports channel stuff or any sports replays since this craziness started. I have gone cold turkey. fwiw.

Surprised at how little I am actually missing it. Not even any SHU dvrs.

Reactions: shupat08
I watched it but wasn't blown away by it. Jordan was clearly a superman on the court, but I saw enough of him in this series to tell me he is a pretty big a*hole as a person. That diminished my enjoyment of the series a bit. And as NYShoreguy points out, Jordan and his production arm were behind it all so we were only going to see what he would allow. So this was entertainment, not journalism. But during these times of no sports it was a most welcome presence.
Agree that it was a welcome series at a time with no sports. There were still some major things that came out that not many knew about like the Rodman hotel thing and the flu game wasn't really the flu. I think there was enough of that to make it interesting. I enjoyed it because it brought me back to a time when I cared about the NBA and I liked the game more then. There were also more personalities. Was it bias from Jordan's POV sure. But I'd rather have his bias than a journalist who wasn't there. Take your pick.

The big question is what was in the glass on the side table next to MJ’s chair, bourbon or scotch?

MJ was great. But it would have been great if he ever faced a REALLY GREAT team in the finals. MJ in a laker/celt 80s type matchup would have been awesome. (Almost as good as the original!!)

I have not watched one second of any sports channel stuff or any sports replays since this craziness started. I have gone cold turkey. fwiw.

Surprised at how little I am actually missing it. Not even any SHU dvrs.
91 Lakers downside
92 blazers vet squad
93 suns barkley kj majrle
96 sonics were damn good 60 plus wins
97 and 98 jazz were damn good

Probably knicks and pacers were toughest teams to get by in that era from jordan and bulls to make finals...96 magic all were hurt by postseason and were done when shaq left i compare the magic to bo jackson for a short arc of time amazing output but situation could not be sustained...98 pacers were right there mark jackson had a brutal last 6 min of 98 ecf game 7

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I've watched five episodes so far. No spoilers please as I'm really excited to see if the Bulls can actually win that sixth straight title. :)

"Last Dance" has been a solid watch so far. I honestly hadn't planned to watch it but the lack of anything new sports related and a lot of the hype the show has gotten pushed me towards it. Granted it's mostly through Jordan's prism but that's fine. I think what I've seen has been a fairly balanced telling.

I did see the end of the Showtime program about DC HS hoops, and saw my fave MJ picture ever, right after the Big Smooth hit that jumper to beat UNC in the finals...

Reactions: Johnny Biggs
I've watched five episodes so far. No spoilers please as I'm really excited to see if the Bulls can actually win that sixth straight title. :)

"Last Dance" has been a solid watch so far. I honestly hadn't planned to watch it but the lack of anything new sports related and a lot of the hype the show has gotten pushed me towards it. Granted it's mostly through Jordan's prism but that's fine. I think what I've seen has been a fairly balanced telling.
Krause has been buried and reinsdorf comes off an an unaware owner. I read an oral history of the 98-99 team this morning...i believe they had 13 wins lockout season kukoc far away best player on roster had a payroll of 27 mil...98-99 had better profit margin than the last dance season...must have made reinsdorf quite happy

Krause has been buried and reinsdorf comes off an an unaware owner. I read an oral history of the 98-99 team this morning...i believe they had 13 wins lockout season kukoc far away best player on roster had a payroll of 27 mil...98-99 had better profit margin than the last dance season...must have made reinsdorf quite happy

Krause was poorly portrayed even back then and I think it was clear he wanted more credit for that championship run than he received. He pushed Jackson out the door needlessly and that set the chain of dominos falling.

I understand bringing the entire group back might have been financially untenable and I'm not sure they had another championship run left in them but in hindsight how much worse would they have been going forward? They won 15, 17, 21 and 30 games in the first four full seasons after the breakup after which Krause retired and then won 23 the next year.

Krause was poorly portrayed even back then and I think it was clear he wanted more credit for that championship run than he received. He pushed Jackson out the door needlessly and that set the chain of dominos falling.

I understand bringing the entire group back might have been financially untenable and I'm not sure they had another championship run left in them but in hindsight how much worse would they have been going forward? They won 15, 17, 21 and 30 games in the first four full seasons after the breakup after which Krause retired and then won 23 the next year.
Krause probably the first modern day gm to use pick protections in trades...they reloaded with artest fizer williams crawford curry chandler brand just too much spinning, injuries and head coaches to get through....reinsdorf should take on more blame on payroll and harmony although he feels white sox 05 chip more impressive than anything bulls

I’ve mostly enjoyed TLD with the inside looks and interviews from all involved. As a Knicks fan, I absolutely hated Jordan at the time and The Jordan Rules. But I learned to appreciate his accomplishments later on.

I always knew Jordan was a win-at-all-costs player, but boy does this shed light on how high of a degree that was. He would do anything to win and teams just hated each other back then. I miss that. It made the NBA the NBA.

The one thing Jordan has made clear is he pretty much has no regrets about any of his behavior and decisions. That’s a bit of a turn-off.

That being said, the man left absolutely nothing on the table during his playing days and seized every opportunity brought his way. He made the most of of the teammates given to him and pushed them to their extremes. Refreshing.

I’ve mostly enjoyed TLD with the inside looks and interviews from all involved. As a Knicks fan, I absolutely hated Jordan at the time and The Jordan Rules. But I learned to appreciate his accomplishments later on.

I always knew Jordan was a win-at-all-costs player, but boy does this shed light on how high of a degree that was. He would do anything to win and teams just hated each other back then. I miss that. It made the NBA the NBA.

The one thing Jordan has made clear is he pretty much has no regrets about any of his behavior and decisions. That’s a bit of a turn-off.

That being said, the man left absolutely nothing on the table during his playing days and seized every opportunity brought his way. He made the most of of the teammates given to him and pushed them to their extremes. Refreshing.

i'd love to see pro basketball return to the style of that era. For me the series ws terrific because it reminded me of the days when my kids and i could marvel at MJ, the greatest player of our time. The games were so inspirational that we'd go out and shoot hoops after each one. Mom was always the high scorer.

I don’t know about that. The dude literally started to cry one episode when he was reflecting on what an asshole he was to his teammates.

More or less, my sentiments. To put it more succinctly, it is possible to be the G.O.A.T. and an a-hole at the same time. He was the ultimate competitor but there's a lot of stories that have come out about next level douche-bagging (like the story about not allowing Horace Grant to eat).

Btw, if you want a fun quick listen, the head of a mutual fund, John Rodgers, Jr. was interviewed about beating Jordan 1-on-1

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=12563086&src=desktop

More or less, my sentiments. To put it more succinctly, it is possible to be the G.O.A.T. and an a-hole at the same time. He was the ultimate competitor but there's a lot of stories that have come out about next level douche-bagging (like the story about not allowing Horace Grant to eat).

Btw, if you want a fun quick listen, the head of a mutual fund, John Rodgers, Jr. was interviewed about beating Jordan 1-on-1

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=12563086&src=desktop
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that being an a-hole may simply be a fundamental requirement for being a GOAT in sports and many other endeavors.

I don’t know about that. The dude literally started to cry one episode when he was reflecting on what an asshole he was to his teammates.
It would have been nice to hear him say that he may have been a little extreme, but instead he said he feels justified for pushing his teammates. Phil Jackson had to reel him in at times for his behavior. MJ doesn’t apologize for it.

Most guys will look back on their careers and have a different view since they’re no longer in the middle of it. He doesn’t. It doesn’t seem like his competitiveness has diminished one bit. At his age, it’s admirable and strangely pitiful at the same time; thus the turn-off to me. And he’s said he would do it exactly the same way all over again if he had the chance.

My point is, he really doesn’t need to defend anything. He is the greatest.

It would have been nice to hear him say that he may have been a little extreme, but instead he said he feels justified for pushing his teammates. Phil Jackson had to reel him in at times for his behavior. MJ doesn’t apologize for it.

Most guys will look back on their careers and have a different view since they’re no longer in the middle of it. He doesn’t. It doesn’t seem like his competitiveness has diminished one bit. At his age, it’s admirable and strangely pitiful at the same time; thus the turn-off to me. And he’s said he would do it exactly the same way all over again if he had the chance.

If only he was half as competitive as a basketball team owner

Reactions: JRSlim2284
The goal of sports is to win championships. Jordan won 6. I could care less about whether he was a jerk while doing.
It’s not unsimilar to people who try to knock Eli for going 9-7 in a year he won a super bowl.

I think the Bulls went through a lot of good teams in the eastern division that when it came to the finals it was a anticlimactic. However, the Jazz was a very good team and the Sonics were as well. What the series did touch on were the big time shots that were made by the supporting cast such as Paxson, Kerr and even Buelcher. As great as Jordan’s performance was, his real ability to get the top performance out of his teammates was probably the most incredible attribute he had. Without those key shots, no way does The Bullls win 6.

I think Jordan is by nature a demanding person, but keep in mind the ass kicking he took for all of those years before they won the championships. To some extent, you had to have that attitude back then if you wanted to overcome the likes of the Pistons and win championships. Even when they were winning, the Knicks were a real physical team that they had to overcome.

Michael was the best assistant coach Phil Jackson could have ever had and Phil knew it and also knew when to reel him in a little. But I bet Phil let him go most times because Michael was all about winning and doing what it takes.

Tiger may be one the biggest aholes to ever walk the earth but he's probably the GOAT too. Jack might have something to say about that and Jack is a nice guy now but wasn't necessarily when he was winning all those tournaments either. Lots of stories about how competitive he was and a lot of Palmer fans hated Jack for it. Tough to be the GOAT and a nice guy at the same time - not many have mastered that mix (Ken Jennings was a great example though - lol).

Michael was the best assistant coach Phil Jackson could have ever had and Phil knew it and also knew when to reel him in a little. But I bet Phil let him go most times because Michael was all about winning and doing what it takes.

Tiger may be one the biggest aholes to ever walk the earth but he's probably the GOAT too. Jack might have something to say about that and Jack is a nice guy now but wasn't necessarily when he was winning all those tournaments either. Lots of stories about how competitive he was and a lot of Palmer fans hated Jack for it. Tough to be the GOAT and a nice guy at the same time - not many have mastered that mix (Ken Jennings was a great example though - lol).
100% agree. With all the credit that went to Tex Winters, Jordan was really all Jackson needed. It’s why I think Jackson never did take the Clippers opening or other rebuild teams because he didn’t want to be without having the best players in the game.

I think Jordan was a pretty authentic guy and still is today. I don’t think of him as a bad dude at all. I am just surprised there isn’t any film of him showing appreciation toward his teammates. He probably did/does, but they didn’t film any of it.

As for nice guys in sports, I don’t know enough about Gretzky off the ice, but he seems like a pretty good dude. Joe Montana seemed to be pretty nice. And Mike Trout today seems like a good guy.

Granted, Trout hasn’t won any team championships yet. Maybe it’ll change him. Ha.

100% agree. With all the credit that went to Tex Winters, Jordan was really all Jackson needed. It’s why I think Jackson never did take the Clippers opening or other rebuild teams because he didn’t want to be without having the best players in the game.

I think Jordan was a pretty authentic guy and still is today. I don’t think of him as a bad dude at all. I am just surprised there isn’t any film of him showing appreciation toward his teammates. He probably did/does, but they didn’t film any of it.

As for nice guys in sports, I don’t know enough about Gretzky off the ice, but he seems like a pretty good dude. Joe Montana seemed to be pretty nice. And Mike Trout today seems like a good guy.

Granted, Trout hasn’t won any team championships yet. Maybe it’ll change him. Ha.
Jordan longtime womanizer...notice not one peep in 10 episodes on Juanita and all his kids from that marriage barely had speaking parts the last night of episodes

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Jordan longtime womanizer...notice not one peep in 10 episodes on Juanita and all his kids from that marriage barely had speaking parts the last night of episodes
Yes I am fully aware of that one. I didn’t want to bring it up.

He was known not only to prefer “bigger” blondes, but also to go after those women who were with someone already.

Mr. Competitive in every facet.

Was that the point of the show ???? It was about Jordan’s and the Bull rise to win 6 championships, this wasn’t some investigative journalism piece it was Entertainment.

Gretzky kinda had Messier to play that motivator role. That team was also loaded with really good players on their own so I’m not sure how much they needed to be pushed. They won a Stanley cup two years after Gretzky left.

Reactions: thehall07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT