ADVERTISEMENT

Here you go

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

resize

Groundbreaking Scheduled for Summer 2023

South Orange, N.J. - Seton Hall is proud to formally announce its plans to construct a new state-of-the-art Basketball Practice Facility for student-athletes, a major renovation to enhance the student experience for a new generation of Pirates.

Located within the Richie Regan Recreation & Athletic Center on the South Orange campus, the Basketball Practice Facility will include a new basketball court, locker rooms, lounges, offices, sports medicine room, strength and conditioning room, film room and more. The creation of the basketball facility also includes enhancements to women's basketball facilities.

Seton Hall plans to direct meaningful resources to this effort, including private philanthropy and a portion of bonds secured at historically low interest rates. The University has already received several generous donations, including from Pat Murray and Mary Ann Pfaff Murray, Jim O'Brien and Family, Al Frungillo and Family, Joseph Torcivia and Family, and Bruce Tomason. Seton Hall will continue to prioritize building-fund contributions in the coming months.

Seton Hall University has been implementing a 10-year master plan to dramatically improve athletics and recreational facilities for the entire community. The department of Athletics and Recreation has transformed its facilities to ensure student-athletes are able to compete for championships while enjoying their campus experience. This includes the renovation of historic Walsh Gymnasium completed in 2021 which now provides a better experience for women's basketball and women's volleyball student-athletes and fans. Seton Hall strives to ensure their intercollegiate athletics and recreational programs reflect the mission and goals of the University with quality opportunities and programs that enable all student-athletes to maximize their personal potential.

"The Pirates are a unifying force on our campuses, bringing our community together to share our collective pride. The new training facility will help them climb in the rankings, attract talented recruits and give fans worldwide new reasons to cheer," said Joseph E. Nyre, Ph.D., president of Seton Hall.

In the past decade, men's basketball has enjoyed tremendous success and has built a reputation as one of the best programs competing in one of the best basketball conferences in the nation. This includes five NCAA Tournament appearances and two BIG EAST championships and a national ranking as high as No. 8. Building a dedicated basketball practice facility will go a long way toward preserving the program's status as a national brand. The construction of the facility will also free up space within the Recreation Center to begin making enhancements to women's basketball's facilities. The women's basketball program has competed in either the NCAA Tournament or WNIT seven of the last 10 years and won a BIG EAST championship in 2015.

"Our practice facility project marks a new era for Seton Hall basketball, an era that will build upon the tremendous success our basketball programs have had over the last decade," said Bryan Felt, Director of Athletics & Recreation. "With the new practice facility and the enhanced women's basketball facilities within Walsh Gymnasium, we strive to equip our student-athletes with the resources they need to flourish at the highest level of college basketball and compete for conference and national championships."

The University has contracted with Cannon Design, the architect for recent projects such as Virginia Tech's baseball stadium, Maryland's football practice facility and Southern Indiana's basketball arena, and plans to break ground in Summer 2023.

"A strong Athletic program really helps to build pirate pride and an affinity for Seton Hall. It really promotes school spirit and unity," said Monica Burnette, Ph.D., Vice President of Student Services.

Agreeing with that sentiment is Shaheen Holloway, Head Coach of Men's Basketball, whose first season ranks as the best in program history among Seton Hall's rookie head coaches, winning the most overall, BIG EAST games and earning a national postseason berth in the NIT. Holloway, a McDonald's All-American and star Pirates point guard, returned home to The Hall following his historic run as head coach of Saint Peter's, leading the Peacocks into the 2022 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight. Now he is pushing for the resources to help his student-athletes be champions in the classroom, champions on the court and champion leaders in the community.

"We're in a new era of Seton Hall basketball, and with that we need to bring out the best in our players," said Holloway. "The new basketball practice facility is very much needed so that we can continue to recruit and develop players capable of helping our program win at the national level. I'm eager for the Pirates family to get behind us, get behind this project and help us win in this new era."

Women's basketball has also been winning at the national level with multiple national postseason berths and top-six finishes in the BIG EAST Conference under head coach Anthony Bozzella, who boasts the highest winning percentage (.599) of any Seton Hall women's basketball coach. His program will see significant upgrades to its Walsh Gymnasium spaces when the practice facility is complete.

"The new basketball practice facility will open significant space for our program and provide us with a tremendous opportunity to modernize and expand our current footprint around Walsh Gymnasium," said Bozzella. "It's a capital improvement that will undoubtedly advance the student-athlete experience for both programs."

"We are very grateful for the enthusiastic response from benefactors who share Seton Hall's vision and value its forward-leaning strategy," said Jon Paparsenos, Vice President for University Advancement. "We are not yet there. Additional support from alumni and friends will be essential to delivering a Practice Facility of the highest caliber to our campus community."

Interested in learning more about the project or making a lead gift to the Basketball Practice Facility fund? Please contact Josh Azer, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Development at joshua.azer@shu.edu.

We’ll thought out release of the official statement regarding the construction of the practice facility with plenty of renderings both inside and outside of what it will look like. Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see any start date for construction to begin other then “ latter in the year.”

Look where it’s being built. The south east corner of Walsh. This doesn’t even touch the field house (which is where the students workout and shoot hoops). For those concerned about cannibalizing “regular” student space, this is *not* a new 80,000+ sqft building you see at other colleges. This is a renovation of the existing auxiliary gym and a slight bump out on that rear corner. Rest assured nothing is being taken away from the student body.

Look where it’s being built. The south east corner of Walsh. This doesn’t even touch the field house (which is where the students workout and shoot hoops). For those concerned about cannibalizing “regular” student space, this is *not* a new 80,000+ sqft building you see at other colleges. This is a renovation of the existing auxiliary gym and a slight bump out on that rear corner. Rest assured nothing is being taken away from the student body.
Perhaps I am just missing something. From the artist renditions, the practice facility will wrap around the existing fieldhouse. Wouldn't they be commandeering the back half of the fieldhouse for the practice courts?

I apologize if I am sounding ignorant here but I cannot wrap my head around where the practice court will be.

Perhaps I am just missing something. From the artist renditions, the practice facility will wrap around the existing fieldhouse. Wouldn't they be commandeering the back half of the fieldhouse for the practice courts?

I apologize if I am sounding ignorant here but I cannot wrap my head around where the practice court will be.
Someone like Halldan probably has a bit more knowledge on this but looking at the illustration at the top of this thread, it looks like they are building around the existing structure, much as was done when the Rec Center was built around the existing Walsh Gym. If that's the case, there will be little no impact on the footprint of the Rec Center.

Basically, the new structure begins where the buses are sitting in the illustration and runs around the corner past the two cars and ends after that third section at the rear of the building.

I believe, based on what I see in the rendering above that the practice court would lengthwise in that middle section in the back of the building where the cars are parked.

Reactions: Halldan1
Congratulations to everyone who was able to get this vision to the point of breaking ground. When will this facility be ready by? 2025?

Someone like Halldan probably has a bit more knowledge on this but looking at the illustration at the top of this thread, it looks like they are building around the existing structure, much as was done when the Rec Center was built around the existing Walsh Gym. If that's the case, there will be little no impact on the footprint of the Rec Center.

Basically, the new structure begins where the buses are sitting in the illustration and runs around the corner past the two cars and ends after that third section at the rear of the building.

I believe, based on what I see in the rendering above that the practice court would lengthwise in that middle section in the back of the building where the cars are parked.
So the new practice court is basically the bolt-on attached to the rear of the Rec Center?

No, it’s not by the field house. It’s going to wrap around the opposite side along the backside of Walsh gym.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
It looks like a skinny house being bolted to the corner of the field house wrapping around the back of Walsh. The high cost doesn’t appear to be amenities as much as it’s structural to suspend this bolt on with open space below it.

Sucks being land locked.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
It looks like a skinny house being bolted to the corner of the field house wrapping around the back of Walsh. The high cost doesn’t appear to be amenities as much as it’s structural to suspend this bolt on with open space below it.

Sucks being land locked.
agreed, plus hyper inflation around construction costs over the past decade adds insult to injury. Spending $50M in 2023 is not the same thing $50M in 2015.

By comparison Providence’s facility would cost close to $70M if built today, Georgetowns likely $100M+.

The project now has a price tag of nearly $52M. But from what I have seen and what I have been told it will be well worth the cost.

It's the price that must be paid to compete at the DI level.
100% agree. I think it’s important to note you said “D1 level” (not P5, BigEast, high major, etc.). For instance, *Fairfield* just spent $51M on a basketball facility. *NJIT* spent $102M on an athletic complex about 8 years ago (would cost ~$140M to build today). These investments aren’t unique to huge sports schools - it’s across the entire D1 level.

Personally, I think this spending is completely out of control but if you want to compete with your peers you have to do it.

Last edited:

Sucks being land locked.
Too bad we couldn’t buy up the houses right behind the rec center. Would have killed two birds with one stone! Would expand our footprint and would have gotten rid of the people who were pissing and moaning who delayed this project for more years than I’d like to remember!

100% agree. I think it’s important to note you said “D1 level” (not P5, BigEast, high major, etc.). For instance, *Fairfield* just spent $51M on a basketball facility. *NJIT* spent $102M on an athletic complex about 8 years ago (would cost ~$140M to build today). These investments aren’t unique to huge sports schools - it’s across the entire D1 level.

Personally, I think this spending is completely out of control but if you want to compete with your peers you have to do it.
Interestingly Fairfield is Jesuit was founded in 1942 has a nice campus with a view of the sound and an endowment about 40% larger than ours. And they play in a one bid league.

Interestingly Fairfield is Jesuit was founded in 1942 has a nice campus with a view of the sound and an endowment about 40% larger than ours. And they play in a one bid league.
Could they replace UConn? Just kidding....

Facility looks great does anyone know if there will be donation options for sponsoring a ball rack or other types of equipment?

Reactions: HallX2
Could they replace UConn? Just kidding....

Facility looks great does anyone know if there will be donation options for sponsoring a ball rack or other types of equipment?
There were some links on the pages with people to contact. Unfortunately no goal amount was given and sponsorship amounts for donations weren’t mentioned. Neither was a completion date.

There were some links on the pages with people to contact. Unfortunately no goal amount was given and sponsorship amounts for donations weren’t mentioned. Neither was a completion date.
Sounds about right. They need more time to organize the fundraising ! /s

I think if we had 200 acres like Fairfield our current state would be much different (i.e. larger endowment, improved facilities/infrastructure, student life, etc.). It's difficult to build a $51M basketball facility when the town won't allow it, you can't build contemporary dorms if you have nowhere to build them, etc.

The decisions the diocesan priests made 100 years ago are negatively impacting the university today. The Jesuits seemed to have a better vision for the future and running schools.

I think if we had 200 acres like Fairfield our current state would be much different (i.e. larger endowment, improved facilities/infrastructure, student life, etc.). It's difficult to build a $51M basketball facility when the town won't allow it, you can't build contemporary dorms if you have nowhere to build them, etc.

The decisions the diocesan priests made 100 years ago are negatively impacting the university today. The Jesuits seemed to have a better vision for the future and running schools.
I think you’re right. But the endowment issue can’t be blamed on the campus. Look at the Johnnies. Bigger enrollment I know but an endowment approaching 3x ours.

No, it’s not by the field house. It’s going to wrap around the opposite side along the backside of Walsh gym.
The pictures show it as the back corner of the field house basically being bumped out. Same side of the building as the softball field.

I think you’re right. But the endowment issue can’t be blamed on the campus. Look at the Johnnies. Bigger enrollment I know but an endowment approaching 3x ours.
I think you can make an argument that there is a correlation. Larger campus allows the school to invest in infrastructure that enhances the overall student experience and attract top tier students. A great undergrad experience results in involved alumni base.

The “five whys” method is a great exercise to find the root cause to a problem. In my opinion many of the schools challenges can be directly tied back to lack of land.

I personally believe that SH did the best it could given the limitations that it had to work with beginning with a very small footprint to build on, an ingrained opposition by the local municipal authorities to any project that the University wanted to undertake and limited financial resources .

Reactions: radecicco

Those that have been asking how they can help or why isn't Seton Hall reaching out to us, well here you go.​

Hit the link below to donate.

Help Us Lift the Pirates to the Next Level​

To realize this vision we need your support, and thanks to several generous donors we are making great strides.

Josh Azer

Interested in learning more? Making a gift? We would love to hear from you! Please send us your name and contact information, and we will be in touch soon.

-Josh Azer, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Development
Thank you for your support!

Go Pirates!
Name*
First Name*

Last Name*

Email*

Phone
Affiliation*
Alumnus/AlumnaPirate Blue FanFaculty/Admin/StaffParentStudentFriend

Reactions: TrueBlue1989

Those that have been asking how they can help or why isn't Seton Hall reaching out to us, well here you go.​

Hit the link below to donate.

Help Us Lift the Pirates to the Next Level​

To realize this vision we need your support, and thanks to several generous donors we are making great strides.

Josh Azer

Interested in learning more? Making a gift? We would love to hear from you! Please send us your name and contact information, and we will be in touch soon.

-Josh Azer, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Development
Thank you for your support!

Go Pirates!
Name*
First Name*

Last Name*

Email*

Phone
Affiliation*
Alumnus/AlumnaPirate Blue FanFaculty/Admin/StaffParentStudentFriend

That’s not outreach! That’s a link on a website. The internet is filled with them. Do you believe everyone with a link to donate to some cause is reaching out to you?

Outreach is a direct mailing at a minimum (not a bulk email many will miss or not even open). Outreach is a phone call. Outreach is inviting your donors and season ticket holders to an event where you present your plans and goals and ask those people face to face for their support and financial contributions to the cause where those individuals can ask questions face to face and get answers. (I won’t hold my breath that any of this will actually happen because that’s just not the way the university rolls).

Yes, people should use the link and donate, I’m not saying they shouldn’t. I already have donated to this cause and will again in the future but a link on a website is not outreach.

Reactions: SHU Advisory
For me, I DON'T NOT WANT direct outreach. Not anymore with direct outreach overload. I know who I want to give money to.

The email I just received from SHU is 20 times more likely to get action from me than a phone call or direct mail.

Takes all kinds.

For me, I DON'T NOT WANT direct outreach. Not anymore with direct outreach overload. I know who I want to give money to.

The email I just received from SHU is 20 times more likely to get action from me than a phone call or direct mail.

Takes all kinds.
Then maybe the thing to do would be to ask people the best way to contact them, allow multiple options, and respect everyone’s wishes. Not all options will work for all people and what works for one may piss off someone else.

The Trove will soon be interviewing Mike McBride and Mike Frungillo. We will have pertinent info from them. Info I will post here for those that want to help.

We are also working with Mike Walsh to possibly have an interview with him as well.

No one is being forced to donate if they wish not to. But the time of excuses are at an end. It's now in our hands if we have the means and the desire.

Reactions: Turiddu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT