ADVERTISEMENT

Last Dance Done

Gretzky kinda had Messier to play that motivator role. That team was also loaded with really good players on their own so I’m not sure how much they needed to be pushed. They won a Stanley cup two years after Gretzky left.
Gretzky was just so naturally gifted and loved by everyone of his teammates. As you said Messier was the master motivator.

Reactions: hbkmyr
Gretzky kinda had Messier to play that motivator role. That team was also loaded with really good players on their own so I’m not sure how much they needed to be pushed. They won a Stanley cup two years after Gretzky left.
5 hockey hof outside of gretzky drafted in early sather years messier coffey karri fuhr andersen

Someone had mentioned Tiger as being a bad dude and the GOAT in golf (maybe), but I can juxtapose that one with one of the nicest guys ever in tennis and that’s Roger Federer—prolly the GOAT. (And I’ve met and spoken to him off the court and can confirm his nice guy attitude isn’t an act).

Reactions: Section112
Someone had mentioned Tiger as being a bad dude and the GOAT in golf (maybe), but I can juxtapose that one with one of the nicest guys ever in tennis and that’s Roger Federer—prolly the GOAT. (And I’ve met and spoken to him off the court and can confirm his nice guy attitude isn’t an act).
Tiger was influenced by jordan...he jordan and barkley pre barkley/jordan beef would play private table/room blackjack at mgm grand and that is where tiger started his prowl with all the women

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
in the conversation of all time goats across all sports its gretzky. no debate. gretzky by a mile and hes a good guy.

its just absurd how next level gretzky was. guy has cheating level stats

Said many times that there is no correlation between athletic prowess and great character. Jordan is, in my opinion, the greatest player ever, as debatable as it is.

As a person? He’s an also-ran. Couldn’t be less interested in hearing another word about him.

Please let sports begin again....

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/michael-jordan-wasnt-able-to-intimidate-robert-parish/

Michael Jordan wasn’t able to intimidate Robert Parish

By Ted Holmlund

May 20, 2020 | 3:48am

MORE ON:
THE LAST DANCE

Ex-Bulls teammate: Michael Jordan is a liar, documentary was 'B.S.'

The Chicago Bulls nightmare that followed Michael Jordan leaving

I delivered Michael Jordan's pizza and he's wrong about food poisoning

Karl Malone wanted no part of 'The Last Dance'

One NBA Hall of Famer didn’t wilt under Michael Jordan’s verbal abuse.

Some fans may forget that Robert Parish, of Boston Celtics fame, played one season with Jordan, winning a title with his “Airness” in the 1996 season, his only season with the Chicago Bulls and the final one of his 19-year NBA career.

But that didn’t stop him from getting the Jordan treatment, which was often discussed during different segments of the 10-part “Last Dance” documentary that concluded on Sunday.

In a 2012 interview with ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan, Parish told an anecdote about a run-in he had with Jordan while he was a member of the Bulls.

In one of his first practices with Chicago, Parish committed a blunder on one play and was amused to find Jordan jawing at him just inches from his face.

“I told him, ‘I’m not as enamored with you as these other guys. I’ve got some rings too,’ ” Parish recalled. “At that point he told me, ‘I’m going to kick your ass.’ I took one step closer and said, ‘No, you really aren’t.’ After that he didn’t bother me.”

The Hall of Fame center — who was part of the Big 3 with Larry Bird and Kevin McHale that led the Boston Celtics to titles in 1981, 1984 and 1986 — also said he preferred Bird’s leadership style over Jordan’s.

“What set Larry apart from Magic (Johnson) and Jordan was he wasn’t an in-your-face leader like they were,” Parish told MacMullan. “He had too much respect for us. If you weren’t having a good night, he was more inclined to encourage you, or not say anything at all.”

Parish, who averaged 14.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game during his career, played in just 43 games for the Bulls that season, but still picked up his fourth ring.

A good read on Michael Jordan the person is a book called when nothing else matters. Honestly I hope there’s more to Michael than just being the greatest, but I’m not sure anyone, including Michael himself, has been able to portray that in any form.

When Nothing Else Matters

The Last Dance was sooo damn good. I may watch it again. I never liked MJ and the Bulls but the show was really entertaining.

Whats with Jordan's eyes they look yellow.

I thought it was good, I personally think people get on Jordan too much. If Jordan was on the Cav's do you think that JR Smith would have know the situation he was in the finals? The pressure that he brought to his teammates was just tough love. I guess that doesnt translate in todays generation. Other then a few players they all seem to respect him for it in retrospect.

They talk about his lack of politics, but I think his lack of politics and thoughtful professionalism help guide a generation for race relations and showed people how to act. Although he is known for being cheap hes always donating to charities.

The gambling... I can see that as a flaw.

The infidelity... I can see that as well. Then again, you look at any celebrate and most of them have issues with staying together. Not saying its an excuse but his day to day experiences wtih people is not normal.

... but the overall body of work the guy seems like a class act.

Big Jordan hater I see
Me, i group up a huge knicks fan, he screwed my fandom over 4 times, i also dislike reggie miller...i respect their accomplishments but dont have to like them. He is a cheap tipper, womanizer, who gambled heavily and was excellent at hoops good for him

Me, i group up a huge knicks fan, he screwed my fandom over 4 times, i also dislike reggie miller...i respect their accomplishments but dont have to like them. He is a cheap tipper, womanizer, who gambled heavily and was excellent at hoops good for him

Cheap tipper? Read the link I posted. He gave a ball boy his Flu Game shoes because he said he would ("worked hard for them"). That ball boy sold them in 2013 for $104,765. That's a pretty good tip.

And as good as Jordan was, the bulls had very quality, complimentary parts on all 6 rosters and another top 5 player in the game the whole time.
Horace Grant was a big time PF 91-93 for them and then you had Kukoc/Rodman 96-98 always serviceable centers that were good passers for the offense and could shoot out to 12 feet. So this idea that it was all Jordan is not true. A lot of it was Krause and his front office team, having Tex Winters and someone like Jackson who could be tempered as head coach. Jordan was a big time player in money spots and I give him full credit but those teams were quite good. I mean 93-94 bulls took knicks to a game 7 in ecsf.

Cheap tipper? Read the link I posted. He gave a ball boy his Flu Game shoes because he said he would ("worked hard for them"). That ball boy sold them in 2013 for $104,765. That's a pretty good tip.
I dont dispute his charitable efforts

I don't think a ball boy qualifies as a 501(c)(3). People often hate on MJ, and some criticism is valid. I hate the "owe you" mentality though, and that is not limited to people's opinions on MJ.

Reactions: thehall07
I don't think a ball boy qualifies as a 501(c)(3). People often hate on MJ, and some criticism is valid. I hate the "owe you" mentality though, and that is not limited to people's opinions on MJ.
He is notoriously bad with gratuity...its out there, again he was big time on court player in money time

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/michael-jordan-irks-bulls-jerry-reinsdorf-with-last-dance-take/

Michael Jordan’s ‘maddening’ Bulls dynasty take irks Jerry Reinsdorf

By Howie Kussoy

May 20, 2020 | 11:55am

MORE ON:
THE LAST DANCE

The Michael Jordan pizza conspiracies are getting out of control

Jordan's intimidation tactics didn't work on this Hall of Famer

The Chicago Bulls nightmare that followed Michael Jordan leaving

“The Last Dance” was a fun trip back in time. But the docuseries dominated by Michael Jordan’s point of view left out so many details of the 1990s Bulls dynasty.

At the conclusion of the final episode — after owner Jerry Reinsdorf said it would have been too expensive to bring back the core pieces — Jordan calls it “maddening” that the roster was decimated after winning a sixth title in eight years, claiming that the key players could have been brought back on one-year deals and that he never had a conversation with Reinsdorf about why the team was broken up.

Perhaps the past two decades have blurred the legend’s memory.

“I was not pleased. How’s that?” Reinsdorf told NBC Sports Chicago about Jordan’s remarks. “He knew better. Michael and I had some private conversations at that time that I won’t go into detail on ever. But there’s no question in my mind that Michael’s feeling at the time was we could not put together a championship team the next year.”

Reinsdorf said the biggest reason is because Jordan wouldn’t even have been able to play when the next season started.

“The thing nobody wants to remember, during [the] lockout, Michael was screwing around with a cigar cutter, and he cut his finger,” Reinsdorf told ESPN. “He couldn’t have played that year. He had to have surgery on the finger, so even if we could’ve brought everybody back, it wouldn’t have made any sense.”

Jordan claims he wouldn’t have suffered the accident — one month before the lockout-shortened season began — if he believed he was coming back. Fueled by an ongoing feud with general manager Jerry Krause, coach Phil Jackson determined it was time to step away.

“I asked (coach) Phil to come back. Phil said no. Michael said I won’t play for anybody other than Phil,” Reinsdorf said. “I met with Michael on the 3rd of July of that year and I said to him, ‘We’re in a lockout. Who knows when we’re going to play? Why don’t you wait until the lockout is over and maybe I can talk Phil into coming back?’ And he agreed.

“When the lockout was over, I still couldn’t talk Phil into coming back.”

When Jordan mentions in the final episode how nearly everyone would have been willing to come back for a chance at a fourth straight title, he acknowledges bringing back grossly underpaid wingman Scottie Pippen would have been a challenge, with the Hall of Famer — who repeatedly asked to be traded out of Chicago — finally a free agent.

“OK, let’s take that hypothetical. Scottie had Houston offering him a multi-year contract,” Reinsdorf said of Pippen’s five-year, $67.2 million offer from the Rockets. “You think he would’ve turned that down to come back for one year? I don’t think so.”

While Pippen had multiple productive years left, Reinsdorf, 84, points out the rest of the aging roster was on its last legs.

“Dennis Rodman had gone beyond the pale. As it turned out, he played 35 games after that,” Reinsdorf said. “Luc Longley was on his last legs. If we had brought that team back, they were gassed. Michael had been carrying that team.”

Doubt will always exist about when the dynasty should have ended. Reinsdorf, though, said there should be no debate about the game’s greatest player of all-time.

“This is history. It makes for fascinating stuff,” Reinsdorf said. “And ‘The Last Dance’ obviously should establish in the mind of any person with normal eyesight that Michael was beyond a doubt the greatest of all-time. In my mind, anytime anybody wants to talk to me about comparing Michael to LeBron (James), I’m going to tell them to please don’t waste my time.

“I’m really pleased it showed how great Michael was to people who hadn’t seen him play. I’m truly tired of people trying to compare LeBron to Michael when it’s not even close. They should try to compare LeBron with Oscar Robertson or Magic Johnson. Michael was so head-and-shoulders over everybody, and that really came out in this documentary. He was a phenomenon. We may never see another like him.”

Reactions: hallstorm
https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/scottie-pippen-livid-at-michael-jordan-for-last-dance-portrayal/

Scottie Pippen ‘livid’ at Michael Jordan for ‘Last Dance’ portrayal

By Justin Terranova

May 20, 2020 | 11:10pm

MORE ON:
THE LAST DANCE

Bulls owner irked by Michael Jordan's 'maddening' dynasty take

The Michael Jordan pizza conspiracies are getting out of control

Jordan's intimidation tactics didn't work on this Hall of Famer

“The Last Dance” appears to have turned Michael Jordan’s most important teammate against him.

According to an ESPN Radio host, Scottie Pippen is “livid” and “so angry” with how he was portrayed in the Bulls docuseries that detailed the dynasty through Jordan’s eyes.

Jordan called Pippen selfish in Episode 2 for delaying ankle surgery until right before the 1997-98 season forcing him to miss the first couple of months during a bitter contract dispute with general manager Jerry Krause. Jordan also took a vague shot at Pippen’s struggles in Game 7 of the Bulls loss to the Pistons in the 1990 Eastern Conference final, which were due to a migraine.

“[Pippen] felt like up until the last few minutes of Game 6 against the Jazz [in the 1998 NBA Finals], it was just ’bash Scottie, bash Scottie, bash Scottie,’ ” David Kaplan said on his ESPN 1000 “Kap and Company” show in Chicago.

Pippen’s alleged feelings come a day after Jordan was slammed by Horace Grant, who was a part of the team’s first three-peat.

“[He] puts this lie out that I was the source behind [Sam Smith’s “The Jordan Rules” book],” Grant said. “Sam and I have always been great friends. We’re still great friends. But the sanctity of that locker room, I would never put anything personal out there. The mere fact that Sam Smith was an investigative reporter. That he had to have two sources, two, to write a book, I guess. Why would MJ just point me out?

“It’s only a grudge, man. I’m telling you, it was only a grudge. And I think he proved that during this so-called documentary. When if you say something about him, he’s going to cut you off, he’s going to try to destroy your character.”

Legit question: what friend does he have from his time in the league?

Grant and Pip got beef with him.
He's still got animosity toward Isiah Thomas from those playoff battles.
He's got animosity with Barkley because Chuck is critical of MJ as an owner.

As I've said, you can be the G.O.A.T and an a-hole at the same time

Reactions: SHUSource
As I've said, you can be the G.O.A.T and an a-hole at the same time

Screen-Shot-2019-04-09-at-12.56.10-PM1.png

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Whats with Jordan's eyes they look yellow.

The yellow could be jaundice or some sort of liver dysfunction. Not surprising considering Jordan was not exactly a beacon of health the way he ate and drank and kept late hours.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/25/michael-jordan-criticized-again-in-the-last-dance-aftermath/

Michael Jordan criticized again in ‘The Last Dance’ aftermath

By Greg Joyce

May 25, 2020 | 3:57pm

“The Last Dance” is over, but critiques of its main character are not.

Former NBA player and ESPN analyst Kendrick Perkins became one of the latest to speak out on how the ESPN documentary shed light on Michael Jordan bullying his teammates, who were often left being negatively portrayed at his expense.

“When you look at ‘The Last Dance,’ the whole documentary, it made Michael Jordan look like a superhero, and it made everybody else look like a villain,” Perkins said last week on ESPN’s “The Jump.”

“Michael Jordan broke every player code imaginable… Some of the things he was saying with Scott Burrell, saying that he was in the club every night,” said Perkins, who did not play with Jordan during his career. “Talking about what Horace Grant said about guys doing drugs, everyone except for him (Jordan). And then, ‘The Last Dance’ hurt Scottie Pippen. People today are looking at Scottie Pippen like a selfish individual.

“At the end of the day, ‘The Last Dance’ was to praise Mike — which it should have been — but you didn’t have to tear down other people to praise your greatness, because your greatness alone speaks volumes for itself.”

Pippen was reportedly “livid” with how he was depicted in the 10-part docu-series, which highlighted how he delayed his ankle surgery ahead of the 1997-98 season because of a contract dispute and refused to enter the final play of Game 3 against the Knicks in the 1994 playoffs due to the shot not going to him.

Grant has also slammed Jordan, calling him a “snitch” for talking about his teammates getting caught up with cocaine, weed and women when he was a rookie. Burrell, meanwhile, took a verbal beating from Jordan in old clips throughout the documentary, though he has since come out and praised Jordan as a teammate.

“There’s certain things, as a player, that you’re supposed to take to your grave with you,” said Perkins, who won a championship with the Celtics. “I don’t care if it was 50 years down the line. … When you go to the arena or you go to the practice facility, to a lot of athletes, that’s your sanctuary. You’re able to go and talk about different personal problems and that’s not supposed to go nowhere.”

I don't like Perkins as well as any one associated with that last Celtics team for their treatment of Ray Allen. And since Perkins puts himself as this flag bearer of sacrifice and respect to team...

That said, he's saying what so many (non-Jordan/Bulls fans) are saying about how Jordan basically made sure he looked great at the expense of others.

The rest of my thoughts are more diarrhea of the mouth and incoherent so I'll leave it at that

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/michael-jordan-on-tape-i-didnt-want-isiah-thomas-on-dream-team/

Michael Jordan on tape: I didn’t want Isiah Thomas on Dream Team

By Mollie Walker

May 26, 2020 | 10:10am

MORE ON:
MICHAEL JORDAN

Michael Jordan seems to have ticked off a lot of people

Michael Jordan accused of more lies in 'Last Dance'

Craig Ehlo regrets big mistake while guarding Jordan on 'The Shot'

Teenage Kobe Bryant's attitude toward Michael Jordan was 'so different'

A portion of ESPN’s 10-part documentary series “The Last Dance” explored the prolonged tension between Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas, digging in to the infamous walk-off game and Thomas curiously being left off the 1992 Olympic Dream Team.

Over the years, Jordan denied having any involvement in Thomas not making the Dream Team, the first American Olympic team to feature active NBA players.

But sportswriter Jack McCallum revealed a past interview with Jordan on his podcast “The Dream Team Tapes” that tells a much different story.

“[Selection committee member] Rod Thorn called me. I said, “Rod, I won’t play if Isiah Thomas is on the team,”” Jordan can be heard saying in a past interview. “He assured me. He said, ‘You know what? Chuck (Daly) doesn’t want Isiah. So, Isiah is not going to be part of the team.”

In the documentary, which concluded on May 17, Jordan expressed how disrespected he felt when the Detroit Pistons left the floor in the 1991 playoffs without shaking the Bulls’ hands. When producers asked Thomas about it in the doc, he said he thought “all of us would make a different decision” if given a do over.

Thorn recently denied that Jordan had anything to do with the decision to leave Thomas off the team.

But the disrespect evidently stayed with Jordan. Thomas was a worthy choice for the Dream Team, which ended up featuring legendary players like Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson and Jordan.

McCallum pointed out that some could argue that Jazz star John Stockton was just as good as Thomas, but that it wasn’t the most legitimate argument. All signs pointed to Jordan’s personal feelings as the reason why Thomas was omitted from the team.

“Please, in the year of our Lord 1991, there was no one who was going to pick Isiah Thomas over Michael Jordan. It’s that simple,” McCallum said.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
This production , whether you label it a documentary or a tribute or a combination of both was hyped big time before it was aired and it drew huge audiences as high as 6.1 million viewers for the first two episodes and 5.8 viewers for the other episodes , which no doubt was enhanced by the lack of other sports available on tv. Jordan and whoever was involved from his side , surely should have recognized that his criticism of his teammates and the newly disclosed tape of him keeping Thomas off the dream team would not only generate considerable commentary but would put him in a bad light and portray him as a miserable human being.

Yes Michael Jordan was a great basketball player but that’s all he was , not a good teammate , a backstabber , untrustworthy and the saddest thing of all is that he doesn’t care about how his comments impacted others .

Everyone knows that Jordan didn't (doesn't) like Isiah. Clearly he wasn't the only one.

But this is largely much ado about nothing. Based on the quote in the article the decision to omit Thomas from the Dream Team had already been made before Thorn approached Jordan about playing.

It's fair to say Jordan lobbied to keep Thomas off the team but if there were others in a decision making role (Chuck Daly) who had already made that call, then Jordan can plausibly deny that he had nothing to do with it.

You can argue that those in the decision making process knew Jordan wouldn't play if Thomas was included and thus made that decision before they reached out to Jordan but the way it reads above gives Jordan that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT