ADVERTISEMENT

Latest "NIL is out of control" example

I saw a later post by someone indicating the $1.2m was not accurate.

Remember when a poster on here said Indianna had 7.5M to deploy this year and was going to assemble a crazy roster this year?

NIL is following the ridiculous growth in compensation that players in professional sports are receiving now and that growth will continue for the foreseeable future. Whether there is a solution for the colleges without deep pockets remains unclear but the schools with limited resources will struggle to compete.

CL: on another note, where are you hearing the two UCONN women portals are headed?
DeBerry appears to headed to Maryland. I would expect to hear something official within a week or two.

Betancourt's landing spot is unclear. Keep in mind that she was headed to junior college in Florida before UConn offered. She has made a huge jump. She returned to school at the start of last year noticeably more fit, so her work ethic is not in question. Though she could contribute at a high major program, I think she is would be a very nice piece for a mid major. Certainly, she could have a prominent role at a low major. She's definitely D1 talent.

DeBerry appears to headed to Maryland. I would expect to hear something official within a week or two.

Betancourt's landing spot is unclear. Keep in mind that she was headed to junior college in Florida before UConn offered. She has made a huge jump. She returned to school at the start of last year noticeably more fit, so her work ethic is not in question. Though she could contribute at a high major program, I think she is would be a very nice piece for a mid major. Certainly, she could have a prominent role at a low major. She's definitely D1 talent.
Liked Bettancourt and was surprised she didn't play more [ a little more] at the end of the season as Muhl was foul prone and Shade faded. I saw her as a very natural point guard.

Reactions: CL82
Liked Bettancourt and was surprised she didn't play more [ a little more] at the end of the season as Muhl was foul prone and Shade faded. I saw her as a very natural point guard.
I think that the quality of the people ahead of her in the rotation was a part of her difficulty in getting playing time. Muhl is a force of nature as a defender. It is tough to take her off the court.

Shade did fade at the end of the season. I don't know if that was just fatigue from experiencing the longer college season for the first time, the stress of being in more high profile games, or just getting more attention from the opposing teams defenders. Shade was a solid and enthusiastic defender, although prone to making freshman mistakes. She was also a threat from deep, which mandated her being covered out to the arc. That opened up the floor for the rest of the team.

A big part of Geno's offensive scheme is spacing. He essentially was running four out the whole season. Ines wasn't a threat from deep. Still, she's a quality kid and will be an asset wherever she ends up.

I’ll say it - I think the notion that we can’t question a player’s decision to transfer for more money is a lazy take. Yes, they are entitled to cash in on their skills, but I think many of these kids are being manipulated by seedy “agents” and handlers who see them as nothing more than a quick payday. Of course, that’s always existed but it’s 100x more pervasive now that it’s “legal”

I imagine there will be a 30 for 30 documentary 10-15 years down the road where many of the big name transfers of this era discuss how the money was gone within a year and they regret not having a school to truly go home to.

Reactions: buckfoston824
NIL is following the ridiculous growth in compensation that players in professional sports are receiving now and that growth will continue for the foreseeable future. Whether there is a solution for the colleges without deep pockets remains unclear but the schools with limited resources will struggle to compete.
There needs to be a cap of some sort, a way to set scaled player values. Otherwise small schools will never compete

Reactions: CL82 and SOpirate
There needs to be a cap of some sort, a way to set scaled player values. Otherwise small schools will never compete
Something of this nature will come eventually, but only when public opinion has shifted. Right now the NCAA/Conferences/Schools are in no position to act as public opinion is still strongly against them on account of having refused any sort of compensation for athletes over the years.

Reactions: buckfoston824
Oh I believe that was always the intended endgame on this. There is a slow squeeze of small colleges to price them out of D1 athletics.

Oh I believe that was always the intended endgame on this. There is a slow squeeze of small colleges to price them out of D1 athletics.
Goodbye to the young people who use athletics as a way to get free education at those small schools. When, not if, those schools shut down athletics because they can’t afford to be part of it a lot of young people will be straddled with student loans who could’ve used athletics to avoid that burden. Some may not even get to go to college.

The market will right itself --it may take 2 to 3 years
Schools will probably no longer be able to use the Kentucky "model" of over paying freshmen so a market will be created by the "smaller " schools offering benefit of starting

eventually people wont want to watch a much WORSE version of professional basketball. nobody has allegience to the team, and then fans don't care about the players. in the end it's just crappy pro basketball.

Reactions: da0987
The market will right itself --it may take 2 to 3 years
Schools will probably no longer be able to use the Kentucky "model" of over paying freshmen so a market will be created by the "smaller " schools offering benefit of starting
Last year, I thought the normalization would begin this year and that 23 was a feeding frenzy abberation. Boy ! was I dead wrong.

Most all fans care about putting a winning product on the floor, period. To quote our former President, Richmond could shoot someone on 5th Avenue (or whatever the quote is) and folks would rationalize bringing him back. Look at how the view of pay-to-play, fan-funded, NIL changed so rapidly for many here. It's why I never get the comments made about other programs or other coaches on stuff. Like the PDS posts.

Reactions: SPK145
eventually people wont want to watch a much WORSE version of professional basketball. nobody has allegience to the team, and then fans don't care about the players. in the end it's just crappy pro basketball.
Disagree to a fair extent. People have strong allegiances to their favorite school (usually one they attended). Often more than to pro teams. So they'll continue to root for their school like they root for pro teams. Which they will be. I can easily see it being the case that schools operate money sports teams that are fully separated from the actual schooling. So you can still wear your jersey and attend the games and get excited when you win and upset when you lose. The players will just officially not have to bother with going to class, taking tests, etc. I'm guessing this separation could also help with getting avoiding title ix roadblocks

Disagree to a fair extent. People have strong allegiances to their favorite school (usually one they attended). Often more than to pro teams. So they'll continue to root for their school like they root for pro teams. Which they will be. I can easily see it being the case that schools operate money sports teams that are fully separated from the actual schooling. So you can still wear your jersey and attend the games and get excited when you win and upset when you lose. The players will just officially not have to bother with going to class, taking tests, etc. I'm guessing this separation could also help with getting avoiding title ix roadblocks
The ridiculousness has to slow down at some point as most people will get tired of a financial return on investment of 0. It’s one thing for an owner to pay players at the professional level where there is a financial return, but this is completely absurd.

I’ll say it - I think the notion that we can’t question a player’s decision to transfer for more money is a lazy take. Yes, they are entitled to cash in on their skills, but I think many of these kids are being manipulated by seedy “agents” and handlers who see them as nothing more than a quick payday. Of course, that’s always existed but it’s 100x more pervasive now that it’s “legal”

I imagine there will be a 30 for 30 documentary 10-15 years down the road where many of the big name transfers of this era discuss how the money was gone within a year and they regret not having a school to truly go home to.
So said Slo MO about his choice of schools.

Although it was said without his future NBA earnings being an issue.

Goodbye to the young people who use athletics as a way to get free education at those small schools. When, not if, those schools shut down athletics because they can’t afford to be part of it a lot of young people will be straddled with student loans who could’ve used athletics to avoid that burden. Some may not even get to go to college.
Agree. That's what the "let the kids have some money" group is missing on this.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT