ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Kennard

PKT_SP13

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2016
Declared for the draft today. I wonder if this hurts or helps our chances with Duval. That roster is going to have some serious turnover from this year to next.

I would think that would make Duke push for Duval that much more.

Kennard is great. But will his game translate to the NBA? That's the million dollar question.

Reactions: Pirate6711
I think this was expected so not that big a deal. The decisions of Grayson Allen and Frank Jackson will be much more meaningful regarding Duval
And what do you think the ideal outcome is? I've gone back and forth with this time and time again and I can't decide what I'm pulling for. My gut tells me that Grayson goes and Jackson stays. The cupboard would be pretty dry at that point.

Honestly I'm not sure if the turnover is a good or bad thing. Playing time opens up but with all these new faces you know it's going to take a while for things to gel. Would you want to go to a team where there are a lot of new pieces and you don't know how you will fit, or go to a team who is set except for that one piece?

And what do you think the ideal outcome is? I've gone back and forth with this time and time again and I can't decide what I'm pulling for. My gut tells me that Grayson goes and Jackson stays. The cupboard would be pretty dry at that point.

I think you want them both to stay. Duval would still play but it creates a crowded back court with them and Gary Trent Jr. I don't know if either are mocked for first round this year but who knows. Saw this on twitter though regarding Allen:

I would think that would make Duke push for Duval that much more.

I am not certain that Duke pushing harder for Duval is going to make much difference. He knows everyone wants him.

As many have said, Duval, is not really worried about competing for PT. But I think it goes without saying that the PT at Duke is going to be less than elsewhere with all the top 25 recruits they have.

Come to Pirate land and take us along with you to stardom..be the straw that stirs the drink( ala Reggie ). Come and play in front of family and Pirate fans that will be your fans forever.

Ceratinly Duke and Kansas would put him in the spot light.

But if our core players all return, and you add Duval and Cale to the mix, I assume we can at least make it to the Sweet Sixteen. That would get him the recognition he wants to audition for the NBA. I am sure he knows all that.

The clear lesson for college coaches today is that you never stop recruiting because of the players transferring epidemic whether they be an underclassman or a graduate senior and players leaving sooner then expected to turn pro or some unexpected departure . If you were to go back to the beginning of this season we had 12 of the 13 players on ship who were underclassmen plus Jones , a graduate senior thus we had one ship to give for the 2017 class and that was taken by Cale's commit to us and on its face our 2017 recruiting was complete. Since then we've had two players announce they were transferring in Singh and Soffer; one player quit the team in Thomas and one player dismissed from the team in Carter. Thus you now had 4 open spots and because they were unexpected it becomes a more difficult task to fill those spots with quality talent.

Declared for the draft today. I wonder if this hurts or helps our chances with Duval. That roster is going to have some serious turnover from this year to next.
With or without an agent?

Ceratinly Duke and Kansas would put him in the spot light.

But if our core players all return, and you add Duval and Cale to the mix, I assume we can at least make it to the Sweet Sixteen. That would get him the recognition he wants to audition for the NBA. I am sure he knows all that.

If I were a player going for my one and done year the last thing I want is to play next to Grayson Allen. Enjoy getting your headlines stolen with every infantile trip and meltdown coming Grayson's way. Even a good year would be eclipsed by 10 second clips of unsportsmanlike conduct followed by tears and teammates huddling around. It's more embarrassing than a nut punch as far as I'm concerned (though two or three nut punches might pull ahead in the coverage)

Reactions: Section112
If I were a player going for my one and done year the last thing I want is to play next to Grayson Allen. Enjoy getting your headlines stolen with every infantile trip and meltdown coming Grayson's way. Even a good year would be eclipsed by 10 second clips of unsportsmanlike conduct followed by tears and teammates huddling around. It's more embarrassing than a nut punch as far as I'm concerned (though two or three nut punches might pull ahead in the coverage)
Good call. Conversely, the dynamic with the Pirates next year will be all positive for him, surrounded by experienced veterans who are also solid kids with an outstanding reputation in college hoops world.

Good call. Conversely, the dynamic with the Pirates next year will be all positive for him, surrounded by experienced veterans who are also solid kids with an outstanding reputation in college hoops world.

One fear is that even with Angel's return we have a short bench, particularly in the front court. Duke and Kansas can roll deep with 4 or 5 star kids.

Didn't seem to hurt Tatum too much this year...

Good point about not wanting to Play with Allen. I can see pros and cons with Allen returning, but that could be one of the former. Wonder if Duval has that in mind when he's constantly talking about waiting to see what players come and go before deciding.

Didn't seem to hurt Tatum too much this year...

Definitely not from a draft perspective. I was speaking only about media narrative. I'm not in any way saying him going to Duke will hurt his draft prospects, that would be a stupid argument on its face. At SHU he would be playing with a lot of kids that are just straight up workhorses. You aren't going to need a nanny or safety blanket for the more... fragile personalities.

Glad I can say that with confidence about the current team.

Reactions: shufan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT