ADVERTISEMENT

Masters Week - The Sports World Best Brand

gonna like reading this. masters is oldschool, no gimmicks. refreshing nowadays. class.

Hope to make it there some day.
It’s a bit surreal. TV doesn’t do justice to the elevation from hole to hole. It’s a golf course that’s built really just for the tournament. It gets very little play otherwise. it’s so pristine it actually looks a little bit artificial.

The year I was there, there was a brutal storm that came through the night before with trees down and power failure in the area. Showed up at the course and there wasn’t a pinecone on the ground. There is also a system of pipes and vents that run under the entire course. Sucks excess moisture out after rain and even provides aeration to the turf. If it’s quiet you can hear the humming of the motors underground.

definite bucket list item that’s worth it.

Reactions: SHallguy2 and shu09
It’s a bit surreal. TV doesn’t do justice to the elevation from hole to hole. It’s a golf course that’s built really just for the tournament. It gets very little play otherwise. it’s so pristine it actually looks a little bit artificial.

The year I was there, there was a brutal storm that came through the night before with trees down and power failure in the area. Showed up at the course and there wasn’t a pinecone on the ground. There is also a system of pipes and vents that run under the entire course. Sucks excess moisture out after rain and even provides aeration to the turf. If it’s quiet you can hear the humming of the motors underground.

definite bucket list item that’s worth it.

Yeah, they pull out all the stops there.

I went to a practice round about 15 years ago.

• 85 is right about the elevation changes. TV does not capture it.
  • There is an "buried elephant" in one of the greens ( I can't recall which). TV does show show the undulation.
  • TV does not do justice to the Azaleas on 13.
  • Magnolia drive is on a lousy looking retail/hotel/office road.
  • The back of the driving range has a net is up against the road
  • The food was cheap. I remember getting a sandwich for $2. Hotel white bread. Wrapped in wax paper.
  • The 16th green is small. On practice day, they skip the ball across the water after they take their regulars shots. Cheers are loud for whoever puts it on the green. I think someone had a hole in one one year.
  • The clothing is reasonably priced and not available on-line.
  • I saw three blades of grass that were out of line.
  • The members walk around with their green jackets.
  • All TV cables are buried.

On separate note, my DW and I were at Innisbrook last week and played the Copperhead (a.k.a. The Snake Pit) Thursday after the Valspar tourney. The stands and things were still up. Pretty cool to hit into the greens when they are surround by bleachers.

Reactions: Hallsome
Yes, food is insanely cheap. The bathroom attendants are the most polite people I have ever met… Lol.

I remember seeing three maintenance workers walking together and one had one of those devices for picking up litter. They bent over and saw a cigarette butt, surrounded it and picked it up like it was radioactive.

it’s got a little bit of a Disney World feel. Pirata is right…The street in front of the golf course is a two lane road with cheap strip malls on the other side.

The police force has a pretty sweet deal. During the Masters they serve as limo drivers and supporting the offsite hospitality centers. They probably make more money that week and they do in the entire year on the force.

Reactions: Pirata
I flew into Atlanta the week of the Masters a few years back. The line for a car at National was an hour, with people basically fighting over each car that became available. Finally a nice big Dodge Ram became available, nobody wanted it, so I had a comfortable ride back to NJ a few days later. That tournament is no joke with the demand people have to attend.

The dream is to attend the Final Four and then head to Augusta for the rest of the week. Jim Nantz does that every year! Maybe when we make it under Sha I'll pull out all the stops to get into ANGC.

This is the best week in sports. Usually have opening day baseball this week too.

Reactions: Hallsome and SHUSA
The dream is to attend the Final Four and then head to Augusta for the rest of the week. Jim Nantz does that every year! Maybe when we make it under Sha I'll pull out all the stops to get into ANGC.

This is the best week in sports. Usually have opening day baseball this week too.
maybe the booster club will run something if it ever happens

Reactions: shu09
Thanks for that share. The numbers are staggering for the hourly merchandise sales, including the 65% mark-up. I learned something that adds to the "brand' piece I penned.

Augusta is in a league unto their own.

My understanding is that annual dues are handled by tallying the expenses for the prior year and then send a bill to each member. You pay or leave.

I believe some of the memberships are automatically/highly traditional. For example, I think the CEO's of certain corporations automatically are extended an invitation. When Bethlehem Steel existed their, CEO's were members. I suspect the company paid for everything. One such member, Lewis Foy, was also a member at Saucon Valley CC in Bethlehem. The folklore is that he extended an open invitation to the other members who wanted to play Augusta. The catch was that you had to fly him down and back on a private jet (and not a small one) the same day and then take everyone to dinner with carte blanche on the wine and cognac, etc. I don't know if anyone ever took him up on it or if the folklore is true.

Regarding the $200M, I think there is a point in wealth where incremental money has little value. It is just a number on a piece of paper, whereas the value of the alternative is far more attractive. It's like the saying goes, "you don't want to be the richest person in the cemetery".

Another interesting story is that there are only 30 local members; the vast majority are out-of-town, and mostly CEO legacy type memberships. Years ago, I knew Vernon Loucks, CEO of Baxter International was a member and he would invite select healthcare customers to play, flying them in, etc.

Also believe, a member just can't go there for lunch or dinner. You only can dine if you have a reservation to play.

It's a course like no other with unique traditions.

Reactions: Pirata
and a fun fact the co founder refused to let black people go on site unless they were caddies and ended up killing himself on the course! good thing theyve left those traditions out

At age 83, Roberts had been in ill health for several months with cancer, and had a debilitating stroke. On September 29, 1977, a year after stepping down, Roberts killed himself via a self-inflicted gunshot on the banks of Ike's Pond at Augusta.

Kinda like Hemingway.

Reactions: SHallguy2
and a fun fact the co founder refused to let black people go on site unless they were caddies and ended up killing himself on the course! good thing theyve left those traditions out
A very lame post in my opinion.

The club was founded in 1930. The south was still segregated.

Woman had only been voting for 10 years at that point. The US army did not desegregate until 1948.

Segregation in schools didn't stop until 1954. Civil rights act didn't come until 1968.

Baseball didn't desegregate until 1947. Football 1946. Tennis 1940.

Augusta was a private club. Many clubs didn't allow Jews up until the '70s and beyond.

We still have disparity in women's salaries and corporate America.

There's still more work to do but it's a bit lame to go the racism route with any of these organizations. They all evolved in their own time and we're getting to where we want to be. Yes it should have been done sooner and should have never happened in the first place but history is history.

I prefer to celebrate the good in these organizations.

Reactions: HALL85

Woman had only been voting for 10 years at that point. The US army did not desegregate until 1948.

Segregation in schools didn't stop until 1954. Civil rights act didn't come until 1968.

Augusta was a private club. Many clubs didn't allow Jews up until the '70s and beyond.

There's still more work to do but it's a bit lame to go the racism route with any of these organizations. They all evolved in their own time and we're getting to where we want to be. Yes it should have been done sooner and should have never happened in the first place but history is history.

Like Condi Rice being a member.

how is it lame? its facts. this was the 70s/80s. its one of the handful of items on its wikipedia page. it is what it is.

how is it lame? its facts. this was the 70s/80s. its one of the handful of items on its wikipedia page. it is what it is.

They're a private club, can invite whoever they want.

Yes, very lame. Everyone should be invited as a member!!!
not sure what you mean by that irrelevant statement. sounds like youre trying to twist things.

anyway, pretty gnarly the guy shot his head off on the course.

es, very lame. Everyone should be invited as a member!!!

Your home is private. Are you suggesting that everyone should be invited in?

Side question: Is adding 3 exclamation points to your post necessary. Does it make your point more valid somehow?

Your home is private. Are you suggesting that everyone should be invited in?

Side question: Is adding 3 exclamation points to your post necessary. Does it make your point more valid somehow?
I was as usual being sarcastic
Sorry

I'm bummed that I missed that. I am also very sarcastic.

I was reared on Mad Magazine.

My favorite segment was "snappy answers to stupid questions". Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT