ADVERTISEMENT

Meet the Mets

Diaz picks up Alonso after missing the pop up in foul ground. Alonso picks up the team in the 9th. Lindor might be best player who plays defense. As someone who loves defense I can’t wait to watch a series with Lindor and Turner.
turner who? trae turner? he's terrible on defense

Tonight has to be the greatest Mets victory since Last Monday in Atlanta.

LFGM

Tom K
Your two stars hitting HRs like those two. Doesnt get any better than that. I can still remember the exciement of the Kirk Gibson homer. Hell, I can still remember running around the house when Maz beat the Yankees. My poor 90 year old great Aunt Rita thought I had lost my mind lol...kinda

His range has been excellent his entire career and still is.
hes one of the worst defensive players in the league and his range is terrible. he gets to almost no balls. so many errors. its been a huge issue his entire time on the phillies. alec bohm is even better than him.

Reactions: SHUSource
hes one of the worst defensive players in the league and his range is terrible. he gets to almost no balls. so many errors. its been a huge issue his entire time on the phillies. alec bohm is even better than him.
This is true. He's been a big disappointment in the field. He turns the double play nicely, though.

This is the one Phillies contract I sort of regret (aside from Taijuan Walker, which is obvious). Trea is still a terrific hitter, but I can't see a guy with his frame hitting like that for most of the contract. It'll be interesting to see how Aiden Miller develops, since they seem set on him at shortstop. I'd love someone to push Trea to second base, but then they'd have to spin off Stott (who is about as good as you can bet at second) for something.

This guy has terrible range, sure.

Oof...never realized he was this bad.

Trea Turner is a bad shortstop. Demonstrably bad. Analytically bad. Empirically bad.

Edmundo Sosa is an excellent shortstop. Entering this weekend’s series in Baltimore, he has 95th-percentile range, a strong arm, and, unlike Turner, uncanny instincts. He can hit a bit, too.

Sosa has done everything to earn the Phillies’ starting shortstop job. Turner has done everything to lose it.

Turner was the second-worst defensive shortstop in the major leagues in 2023, according to Baseball Savant. He was, at times, the absolute worst shortstop in the major leagues in 2022. He spent this spring working on his defensive shortcomings, and he improved over 2023; he now merely is well below average, matching his 2022 performance level.

Frankly, he hasn’t been very good for the last five years.

Look, I like Turner. I think he’s a valuable player.

But Turner should not be playing shortstop. Not on a team with one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. Not on a team with championship aspirations.

Reactions: SHUSA

This guy has terrible range, sure.
lol one play? he has statistically been one of the worst fielders for years. negative dwar for years. i watch every single game and he gets to almost no balls that arent hit right to him. and the ones hit to him are an adventure ever time.

phillies are absolutely looking to moving him to second at some point.

They pull a rabbit out of their hat to keep the season alive twice in 4 days. Now they just announced Kodai Senga, who pitched 1 game all year and left that game after re-injuring himself, is starting game 1.

This is true. He's been a big disappointment in the field. He turns the double play nicely, though.

This is the one Phillies contract I sort of regret (aside from Taijuan Walker, which is obvious). Trea is still a terrific hitter, but I can't see a guy with his frame hitting like that for most of the contract. It'll be interesting to see how Aiden Miller develops, since they seem set on him at shortstop. I'd love someone to push Trea to second base, but then they'd have to spin off Stott (who is about as good as you can bet at second) for something.
IIRC when the Phillies signed Turner, their thinking was at some point sooner than later, he and Stott would switch positions. I believe the other possibility discussed with Turner (even going back to his Nats days) was a move to center field.

I don't see a ton of the Phillies but I am surprised to see that Turner is as poor defensively as he rates. I've always thought of him to be solid.

Bottom line. Enjoy him for the next decade.

pretty par for the course on shuhoopsfan. watches one thing on tv one time and cements his opinion, which of course is the exact opposite of reality. not just baseball unfortunately.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
IIRC when the Phillies signed Turner, their thinking was at some point sooner than later, he and Stott would switch positions. I believe the other possibility discussed with Turner (even going back to his Nats days) was a move to center field.

I don't see a ton of the Phillies but I am surprised to see that Turner is as poor defensively as he rates. I've always thought of him to be solid.

being the worst fielder on the phillies is a really really hard thing to do. Castellanos i think has worse rankings but shortstop can't be hidden 90% of the time as seen by his team leading errors.

pretty par for the course on shuhoopsfan. watches one thing on tv one time and cements his opinion, which of course is the exact opposite of reality. not just baseball unfortunately.
I can give you tons of videos of Turner showing off the range. I’m not taking some stupid mathematical formula for range. I’ve seen him get to a ton of baseballs in the hole and up the middle.

being the worst fielder on the phillies is a really really hard thing to do. Castellanos i think has worse rankings but shortstop can't be hidden 90% of the time as seen by his team leading errors.
This might be a shock but SS is hard. All 4 NLDS teams are led in errors by their SS. Lindor is a stud defensively despite leading his team in errors. Guardians and Royals were also led in errors by their SS. That guy Witt’s pretty darn good too despite his team leading errors.

What a game. First you have the Brewers going back-to-back with electric HRs to take the lead, then that all-time comeback in the 9th by the Mets. Postseason baseball at its finest. And that after Game 2 when the Brewers again were drilling homers to take the lead.

The Lindor AB to start the 9th in Game 3 was a thing of beauty too. Staying alive fouling off pitches to earn that walk; that type of bat control and plate coverage is part of the game that's a lost art. A real craft. Critical to get that leadoff man on down two. Polar Bear deserved a moment.

Good for the Mets and their fans. Exciting stuff.

The Lindor AB to start the 9th in Game 3 was a thing of beauty too. Staying alive fouling off pitches to earn that walk; that type of bat control and plate coverage is part of the game that's a lost art. A real craft. Critical to get that leadoff man on down two. Polar Bear deserved a moment.
This is the exact thing I told my brother as it was happening. I said once Lindor walked, they would tie. It completely set the tone and made Williams have to think a little about him at first and the middle of the Mets lineup was due.

But I didn’t think they’d score 4.

The Mets had been swinging from their heels most of the game and didn’t even manage to get into any deep counts—and this with the Milwaukee starter primarily throwing a four - seam fastball mostly.

My two Philly friends are lamenting the Turner acquisition. He’s been a decent hitter, but they both say how horrible on defense he is. And they’re not too happy about his crazy contract.

And those are Philly fans talking.

He’s just a poor defender by any means—eye test of fans and the multiple defensive metrics.

Got to challenge Harper at 4-3. Worst scenario is a tied game. They created a bigger inning. He probably wasn’t going to hit another. The Mets are doing great and now they finally go home.

That was my impression, too, seeing him in small chunks with the Nats. But when you watch him every day, you see the glaring holes. Look, I wanted him here and I'm glad he is -- he's been much more good than bad -- but the contract is unlikely to age well. I think you're correct about he and Stott switching positions -- Stott came up as a shortstop, after all -- but he's become such a good second basemen that it would be hard to move him off the spot. I suppose there is a chance Trea adapts well there, too. He is a tremendous athlete, which is why he can produce the occasional stellar moment in the field, so maybe playing second would disguise his lack of range. But even then, his glove is just unsteady. He boots balls right to him.

That was my impression, too, seeing him in small chunks with the Nats. But when you watch him every day, you see the glaring holes. Look, I wanted him here and I'm glad he is -- he's been much more good than bad -- but the contract is unlikely to age well. I think you're correct about he and Stott switching positions -- Stott came up as a shortstop, after all -- but he's become such a good second basemen that it would be hard to move him off the spot. I suppose there is a chance Trea adapts well there, too. He is a tremendous athlete, which is why he can produce the occasional stellar moment in the field, so maybe playing second would disguise his lack of range. But even then, his glove is just unsteady. He boots balls right to him.
The contract won't age well in part because of the "trick" of adding years to lower the annual average. This is done because the luxury tax is based on AAV rather than actual salary. Also, deferred money doesn't count at all so if Turner were deferring $100 million of the total, it would be saving the Phillies $10 million a year towards the cap calculation.

The other reason teams do these deals is because of the way analytics value productions. We all know that none of these guys are "worth" $30 million per year but there is a site that creates value based on production and the best players are producing twice that much or more.

Teams will happily take five or six years of that type of production and live with the diminishing returns after that. The calculus is either they will have won a championship or two to justify the spend or they will have other players making up for that inevitable dropoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT