ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day

Turiddu

All Big East
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
As a former chaplain, I am aware of the ultimate sacrifices made by so many that have worn the uniform. I honor their lives and we must continue to care for those that have lost a beloved family member. In addition, I would like to remember some of my favorite Pirate fans that have passed. Fordham 57, 49ers, and Pirate Sal were the most loyal fans and special persons. They were truly “show up people” who never abandoned the ship regardless of how the Pirates were doing.

I first met Paul in the lobby one cold winter night waiting for the gates to open. I was immediately struck by this gentle giant, and we quickly became fast friends. Despite his ongoing medical issues, he did everything possible to attend games and the board was an emotional lifeline when he could no longer be physically present.

Frank was a bigger-than-life personality who owned every room he entered. He loved fine food, great Italian red wine, and a good belly laugh. Despite the fact that he was a Fordham grad he had an undying commitment to the Pirates.

Sal was the glue for the Pirate Booster Club and no task was too difficult when it came to supporting the Pirates and their fans. His detailed list to make the away trips most enjoyable was legendary. Shaheen was his favorite player, and he was buried with a Seton Hall hat that had the number 10 on it.

They are all physically gone but the imprint of friendship and kindness are legacies that continue. May they rest in peace, and may we never forget what gifts they were in our lives.

As a former chaplain, I am aware of the ultimate sacrifices made by so many that have worn the uniform. I honor their lives and we must continue to care for those that have lost a beloved family member. In addition, I would like to remember some of my favorite Pirate fans that have passed. Fordham 57, 49ers, and Pirate Sal were the most loyal fans and special persons. They were truly “show up people” who never abandoned the ship regardless of how the Pirates were doing.

I first met Paul in the lobby one cold winter night waiting for the gates to open. I was immediately struck by this gentle giant, and we quickly became fast friends. Despite his ongoing medical issues, he did everything possible to attend games and the board was an emotional lifeline when he could no longer be physically present.

Frank was a bigger-than-life personality who owned every room he entered. He loved fine food, great Italian red wine, and a good belly laugh. Despite the fact that he was a Fordham grad he had an undying commitment to the Pirates.

Sal was the glue for the Pirate Booster Club and no task was too difficult when it came to supporting the Pirates and their fans. His detailed list to make the away trips most enjoyable was legendary. Shaheen was his favorite player, and he was buried with a Seton Hall hat that had the number 10 on it.

They are all physically gone but the imprint of friendship and kindness are legacies that continue. May they rest in peace, and may we never forget what gifts they were in our lives.
Bravo!

Amen, Great Post Turiddu.

Thanks for your insight, Father! I will continue to pray for you and more vocations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT