ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Golf - 2022 Fall Schedule Announced

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

BO0A8523_copy.jpg

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. – The 2022 Seton Hall men's golf fall schedule was announced on Tuesday. The Pirates will participate in five events this fall.

The Hall will open the fall season for the fifth straight time with the Alex Lagowitz Memorial, hosted by Colgate University at Seven Oaks Golf Club in Hamilton, N.Y., Sept. 3-4. Last fall, the Pirates placed second in the 15-team field with a 13-ovber-par, 296-291-290-877. Among those returning in 2022, Wenliang Xie (Zhaoqing, China) and Wanxi Sun (Danville, Calif.) were 6-over-par and 8-over-par, respectively. The three-round event is named in memory of the son of Seton Hall assistant coach Ian Lagowitz. Alex played collegiate golf at Colgate.

At the end of September, the Pirates will play in a new event, the Dartmouth Invitational, Sept. 24-25. Hosted at Montcalm Golf Club in Enfield, N.H., the event will feature three rounds over two days of action.

Another new tournament will ring in October when the Pirates make the trip to Hampden, Mass. for three rounds of action at the UConn Invitational, Oct. 2-4, at The GreatHorse.

The Pirates will play the Georgetown Intercollegiate, Oct. 10-11, but won't have to travel far for the event this fall. The tournament is moving to Liberty National Golf Club in Jersey City, N.J. for the 2022 iteration. It will be the fifth straight fall competing in the event for The Hall. Last year, the Pirates placed eighth in the 12-team field. Sun tied for 21st place at 3-over-par, while Angus O'Brien (Barwon Heads, Australia) was 13-over-par.

Finally, Seton Hall will close out the fall season with the Daniel Island Invitational, Oct. 30-Nov. 1 at the Ralston Creek Course in Daniel Island, S.C. Last year, the Pirates won the talent-laden event, besting 19 other teams including national powers South Carolina, Florida State and Virginia with a 6-under-par, 282-282-294-858. Xie tied for second among 104 golfers with an impressive 3-under-par, 71-71-71-213. Sun tied for 21st at 3-over-par.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

White Steps Down as Pirates Head Coach​

0N6A7331_copy.jpg

After 18 years at the helm of the men's golf team, Clay White is moving on.​

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - Seton Hall Athletics announced on Wednesday that men's golf head coach Clay White is stepping down to pursue other opportunities. White had been at the helm of the program for the last 18 years and led the Pirates to the BIG EAST Championship in the spring.

"I want to thank Clay for his dedication to our men's golf program for nearly two decades," said Director of Athletics Bryan Felt. "Throughout his tenure, Coach White helped guide, develop and empower our student-athletes to be role models not only on the golf course, but in their personal lives. Thanks to him, our program is strongly positioned moving forward. We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors."

White's Pirates are coming off arguably the most-successful season in program history. For the first time in 22 years, Seton Hall won the BIG EAST Championship, besting tournament favorite Marquette by three strokes and defending champion Connecticut by 11 strokes. In all, the Pirates claimed the team title of four tournaments during the 2021-22 year and their 287.50 scoring average shattered the program record by more than three full strokes. The year culminated with the team's first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2001 and out-performed its seed, defeating six opponents, including a pair of top-35 opponents. The Hall finished the year with an 87 national Golfstat ranking, its highest ever. For his efforts, White and his assistant coaches were named BIG EAST Coaching Staff of the Year, and White earned Division I Northeast Region Coach of the Year honors.

"I want to thank Jeff Fogelson, Ginger Fulton and Kevin Sponzo for affording me the opportunity to be Seton Hall's head coach 18 years ago," said White. "It's been a fulfilling and exciting ride getting to know and coach so many impressive young men over the years. I'm proud of what we've been able to accomplish and knowing that I'm leaving the program better than I found it is extremely rewarding."

Overall, on White's watch, 19 Pirates have been named BIG EAST All-Conference, and twice a Seton Hall golfer has been named conference Player of the Year. Concerned with the overall maturation of the student-athlete, White has made it a priority of the program to continue to excel academically. Since 2004, the men's golf team has accumulated 106 BIG EAST Academic All-Star selections and has seen 21 Cleveland Golf All-America Scholars, and three BIG EAST Team Academic Excellence Awards.

Clay is striking while the iron is hot. Can't blame him.

Woman’s tennis coach Kevin McGlyn is capable replacement. Great golfer

Wish him well but why did he make his decision so late with the beginning of the school year so near. Feel bad for the returning players .
Why? Individual players have had their own golf/swing coaches for years. Clay isn’t teaching them to hit a draw.

They will be fine and in very good hands.

Reactions: HallX2
Very happy for him. Feel that we will get a good replacement. Really need to get someone like Al Small or Richard Distlerath. Two past coaches who won the BE and could recruit the Met area.

Pirates Name J.T. Harper New Men's Golf Head Coach​

Harper has spent the last three years as an assistant for the Pirates.​

Harper_Hired.jpg

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - Seton Hall Director of Athletics Bryan Felt announced on Friday the hiring of University alumnus J.T. Harper '15 as the new head coach of the men's golf program. Harper gets the promotion after serving as an assistant coach for the program for the last three years.

In addition to serving as an assistant coach at Seton Hall, Harper has been a teaching instructor at Canoe Brook Country Club since 2017, providing golf instruction and coaching to clients of all ages and abilities. He has also served as the Director of Junior Golf Operations at Canoe Brook for the last two years.

"J.T. has earned this opportunity through his hard work and dedication to the Seton Hall men's golf program as a coach, teacher and student-athlete," Felt said. "Coach Harper has a tremendous passion for the game and is someone who exemplifies high character and integrity. We are thrilled to have him lead our program moving forward."

Harper's coaching prowess was on full display this spring when Seton Hall won its first BIG EAST Championship in 22 years. The Hall won four tournaments in all during the 2021-22 academic year and culminated with a trip to the NCAA Tournament. At the marquee event, the Pirates out-played their seed, defeating several nationally-ranked opponents. For their efforts, Harper and the rest of the staff were named BIG EAST Coaching Staff of the Year.

"I could not be more excited to continue building this program as the new men's head golf coach," Harper said. "As a former player and assistant coach for Seton Hall, I have been passionate about this team's success for years. The opportunity to lead these young men fresh off a BIG EAST Championship is incredible, and I look forward to the challenge of continuing to grow after such a successful season. The talent on this team is outrageous, and I know these guys are going to work hard to let it show on the course. I'd like to thank Bryan Felt and the entire athletic department for this opportunity. My family and I are so grateful to be part of the Seton Hall community, and I can't wait to get started."

Harper played golf at Seton Hall from 2013-15 and was one of the top performers on the squad, sporting a 75.20 career scoring average. A two-time Cleveland Golf All-American scholar, he recorded a career-best 74.52 stroke average as a senior and collected two top-10 finishes. An Academic Merit Award recipient, Harper shot four sub-par rounds in 2014-15 and helped lead the Pirates to their first tournament victory since 2012, shooting a 3-over-par, 71-74-145 at the Navy Fall Classic.

Harper and his wife Denny currently reside in Morristown, N.J. with their three boys, Cade, Hudson and Barrett.

What people are saying about J.T. Harper

"I recruited J.T., he played for me, and I've had the privilege to watch him grow and mature as a young man and future coach. Knowing that J.T. is taking over the program, and that it'll continue the upward momentum under his leadership, certainly makes me feel better about my decision to leave. I'm incredibly proud of him, and couldn't be happier for the entire Harper family. They are Pirate blue through and through."
  • Clay White, former Seton Hall Head Coach

"When J.T. joined the program as an assistant coach a couple of years back his impact was instantly felt. Not only did he bring professional golf experience to practice and tournaments, but he also proved himself to be a true player development coach on and off the course. He was a major part in the championship run we had last year and I think everyone in and around the team are excited for the trajectory of the program with him as the new head coach."

"First and foremost, JT is a close friend and neighbor. He is a fantastic father and husband. He is a mentor to so many of our junior golfers at Canoe Brook, but every demographic of member has benefited from JT's presence at Canoe Brook over the last five years. His pedigree and upbringing in the shadow of Pebble Beach has groomed J.T. for a long career in golf. His relations with the golfing community in New jersey and the golf world at large will undoubtedly help Seton Hall compete at a high level moving forward and allow the Pirates to build on their 2022 BIG EAST Championship."
  • Reed Lansinger, Canoe Brook Country Club Director of Golf

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Logical choice and has the important benefit of having been with the program for the past three years and knows the returning players and if he is a solid recruiter as some have suggested his elevation to head coach could work out for the program .

Logical choice and has the important benefit of having been with the program for the past three years and knows the returning players and if he is a solid recruiter as some have suggested his elevation to head coach could work out for the program .
There never are guarantees in recruiting. But our greatest past success came with Al Small who was one of the best Met area amateurs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT