More problems for Maryland

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

University of Maryland basketball coach suspended after prostitution bust

By Jenna Lemoncelli

shingler.jpg

Bruce Shingler on the Maryland sidelines on Jan. 6, 2022
Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

University of Maryland men’s basketball assistant coach Bruce Shingler was hit with a 30-day suspension, the school announced Wednesday night, following an October arrest on charges of soliciting a prostitute.

According to the documents obtained by The Baltimore Sun, Shingler, 40, responded to a website advertisement for “women seeking men,” which was posted by an undercover detective for a Prince George’s County police special assignment team.

On Oct. 14, the detective that posted the ad received a text from Shingler, the documents state, and eventually told the coach to contact her when he arrived at a Holiday Inn in Largo.

According to court documents, Shingler confirmed he wanted to engage in sex upon entering the hotel room, and exchanged a fee of $80. When Shingler gave the detective the money, she alerted the arrest team.

Shingler is currently awaiting a trial date scheduled for Feb. 28. He could face a maximum sentence of one year in prison for charges on soliciting a prostitute, and/or a $500 fine under Maryland state law.

Maryland said, via the school paper, that Shingler was suspended due to a “violation of his employment agreement.”

Maryland’s interim head coach Danny Manning would not comment further on the situation following the team’s 94-87 win over Northwestern on Wednesday night.

We’re just trying to keep our head above water and move forward,” he said. “We’ll see how it plays out as we continue down this path.”

Manning added that he has yet to appoint an assistant to replace Shingler after everything happened “pretty quickly.”

Shingler, a Maryland native, mentioned his wife in a statement when he was introduced as an assistant in June.

“On a personal note, Maryland is home. I grew up a Terp attending games at Cole Field House. My mother lived right across the street from campus. My wife, Lauren, went to St. John’s College High School. We can’t wait to get to campus and hit the ground running,” he said.

Shingler and his wife, Lauren, have a son, Giovonni, and two daughters, Brooklyn and Savannah.

Before his hire at Maryland, Shingler previously spent five seasons as an assistant at South Carolina, where he helped the Gamecocks reach the program’s first Final Four appearance in the 2016-17 season.

Shingler also an assistant at Towson from 2012 to 2016, and had stints at Morgan State and Kansas State.

It should be but this technique has withstood scrutiny. Murder and mayhem in the streets but they have time to rent hotel rooms and bust folks for sex.
It always disedifies me that law enforcement seldom goes after the purveyors of prostitution and the human traffickers. (Donald Trump, btw, did a great job in taking down human traffickers and rescuing trafficked children and young adults.) Having lived and done ministry in many tough neighborhoods, it became apparent that law enforcement was getting kickbacks or bribes from big prostitution enterprises in those places. Entrapping and arresting a few "johns" from time to time seems more like a public relations move to create the illusion that law enforcement is actually doing something to stop the problem.

It should be but this technique has withstood scrutiny. Murder and mayhem in the streets but they have time to rent hotel rooms and bust folks for sex.
My guess is because they are offered a fine to not contest it and the people entrapped are already embarrassed and just want it to go away. If given the choice of a small fine or hurting a lawyer for thousands to fight it I’m guessing most go with option A

Reactions: walshtrips
I agree that this is a waste of taxpayers money and police resources that could be much better used elsewhere to help protect people who desperately need it. Baltimore has an itty bitty problem with violent crime...for goodness sakes did anyone see The Wire!

BTW, looking at the details of the story..."and exchanged a fee of $80."...wow, talk about a low rent rendezvous! Come on Bruce! How desperate can you be? You ain't gonna get a SI Swimwear model for $80...just a whole lot of humiliation.

Exactly! Legalize prostitution, regulate it, and tax it. This may help to reduce human trafficking and increase revenue.

Had this been solicitation of a minor, than the John has to be taken down.

Exactly! Legalize prostitution, regulate it, and tax it. This may help to reduce human trafficking and increase revenue.

Had this been solicitation of a minor, than the John has to be taken down.
It’s onlyac matter of time. It will start like drugs in CA where they are distributing needles to addicts. They’ll in the interest of public health distribute condoms. 🙄

Reactions: SHU_Pirate1
It’s onlyac matter of time. It will start like drugs in CA where they are distributing needles to addicts. They’ll in the interest of public health distribute condoms. 🙄
Lots of D1 basketball programs already have…

Pitino is taking notes. cant upgrade the school without having the hooker situation accounted for.

Rob a store clerk in NYC with a knife and you get a misdemeanor. Solicit sex in MD and you get 1 year in prison. Can this madness get any worse? Rhetorical question.
No one is going to jail on a solicitation charge. That’s the max and people just get probation.

Quite frankly, prostitution should be legal. This ridiculous vestige of our puritanical past needs to go. I agree legalize it, regulate it and ensuring healthy providers and tax it. Get it away from crime organizations.

Reactions: SHUSA
No one is going to jail on a solicitation charge. That’s the max and people just get probation.

Quite frankly, prostitution should be legal. This ridiculous vestige of our puritanical past needs to go. I agree legalize it, regulate it and ensuring healthy providers and tax it. Get it away from crime organizations.
Prostitution should never be legalized. It is abuse. All prostitutes are trauma survivors, virtually all of whom were victims of sexual abuse in childhood.

Prostitution should never be legalized. It is abuse. All prostitutes are trauma survivors, virtually all of whom were victims of sexual abuse in childhood.
i bet my life savings you would respond. good to know theres still some consistency in the world.

btw, do you think Only Fans is prostitution? those people arent abused, they just love making money with their assets in a free market.

i bet my life savings you would respond. good to know theres still some consistency in the world.

btw, do you think Only Fans is prostitution? those people arent abused, they just love making money with their assets in a free market.
You might be surprised. Exhibitionism is often a sign of sexual abuse trauma from youth or childhood. Some do not realize it until they realize they need therapeutic help.

I disagree. Adults making a decision with what they want to do should be lawful. It’s their own choice. Perhaps you should be more concerned with what caused them to go into prostitution and that is the abuse that happened as a Child.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT