ADVERTISEMENT

Lefty is gone

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Hall of Fame college basketball coach Lefty Driesell dead at 92​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Legendary former college basketball coach Charles Grice “Lefty” Driesell has died at 92 years old.

The news was first announced by former Maryland congressman Tom McMillen, who played for Driesell at Maryland, on Facebook.

Driesell was most known for his time coaching Maryland from 1969-86, and also had head coaching tenures at Davidson, James Madison and Georgia State.

From 1986-88, he also served as Maryland’s assistant athletics director.

Driesell’s college head coaching record was 786–394, and his Terrapins won the NIT in 1972, the ACC Tournament in 1984 and the regular season ACC championship in 1975 and 1980.

Driesell coached four teams to the Elite Eight and four to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

He also won conference coach of the year honors seven times combined at his three other coaching stops.

He is the only coach in NCAA history to have been named Coach of the Year in four different conferences (Southern Conference, Atlantic Coast Conference, Colonial Athletic Association, Atlantic Sun Conference).

Driesell was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2018.

Driesell resigned from Maryland in 1986 after small forward Len Bias, who had been selected second overall in the NBA draft by the Celtics, died of a cocaine overdose.

Driesell was accused of instructing assistant coach Oliver Purnell to cover up evidence of drug use at the scene.

“If I told him to clean up the room, I don’t remember it,” Driesell told The Ringer in 2021. “I remember, I think, telling him to go and tell the players to come to my house. I might’ve asked him, ‘Did you clean up the room?’ Or ‘Did you see any drugs?’ But I don’t remember that. I don’t think that.”

“Hey, hold it, hold it,” he continued. “Say I did? So the freak what? He was in the hospital, they were going to find out if he was on drugs. Right? I mean, I never told him to clean out. I don’t think. I don’t know, maybe I did. But I wasn’t trying to hide that he was on drugs. Hey, everybody knew he was—the doctors were going to find out whether he was on drugs. I never told Oliver that, I don’t think. I think I told him to go over there and tell them to come to my house. Ask him.”

Driesell later added, “See, that’s what I don’t like about talking about this! To you or anybody else! I never— I loved Leonard Bias! If I thought he was on drugs, I’d have kicked his ass off the team. And—how the hell do I remember something 35 years ago?”

Other players who starred for Driesell at Maryland included Adrian Branch, Brad Davis, Albert King, Len Elmore, John Lucas and Buck Williams.

Driesell played center at Duke from 1951-54.

Hall of Fame college basketball coach Lefty Driesell dead at 92​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Legendary former college basketball coach Charles Grice “Lefty” Driesell has died at 92 years old.

The news was first announced by former Maryland congressman Tom McMillen, who played for Driesell at Maryland, on Facebook.

Driesell was most known for his time coaching Maryland from 1969-86, and also had head coaching tenures at Davidson, James Madison and Georgia State.

From 1986-88, he also served as Maryland’s assistant athletics director.

Driesell’s college head coaching record was 786–394, and his Terrapins won the NIT in 1972, the ACC Tournament in 1984 and the regular season ACC championship in 1975 and 1980.

Driesell coached four teams to the Elite Eight and four to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

He also won conference coach of the year honors seven times combined at his three other coaching stops.

He is the only coach in NCAA history to have been named Coach of the Year in four different conferences (Southern Conference, Atlantic Coast Conference, Colonial Athletic Association, Atlantic Sun Conference).

Driesell was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2018.

Driesell resigned from Maryland in 1986 after small forward Len Bias, who had been selected second overall in the NBA draft by the Celtics, died of a cocaine overdose.

Driesell was accused of instructing assistant coach Oliver Purnell to cover up evidence of drug use at the scene.

“If I told him to clean up the room, I don’t remember it,” Driesell told The Ringer in 2021. “I remember, I think, telling him to go and tell the players to come to my house. I might’ve asked him, ‘Did you clean up the room?’ Or ‘Did you see any drugs?’ But I don’t remember that. I don’t think that.”

“Hey, hold it, hold it,” he continued. “Say I did? So the freak what? He was in the hospital, they were going to find out if he was on drugs. Right? I mean, I never told him to clean out. I don’t think. I don’t know, maybe I did. But I wasn’t trying to hide that he was on drugs. Hey, everybody knew he was—the doctors were going to find out whether he was on drugs. I never told Oliver that, I don’t think. I think I told him to go over there and tell them to come to my house. Ask him.”

Driesell later added, “See, that’s what I don’t like about talking about this! To you or anybody else! I never— I loved Leonard Bias! If I thought he was on drugs, I’d have kicked his ass off the team. And—how the hell do I remember something 35 years ago?”

Other players who starred for Driesell at Maryland included Adrian Branch, Brad Davis, Albert King, Len Elmore, John Lucas and Buck Williams.

Driesell played center at Duke from 1951-54.
Tom Mcmillan. How quickly they forget. Lefty got him, was gonna build the UCLA of the east. That was a great team. RIP to the left-hander.

Last edited:
PJ offering Bryant's older brother (who never scored a point for the Hall) was the clincher.

Reactions: Piratz
Real ugly scene between him and PJ at CCA when Lefty was at JMU. Claimed there was an aggressive foul against one of his guys. The kid told the press it could have threatened his prospective acting career. Heated argument in the handshake line, and then Lefty pulled his team from the championship/runner-up awards presentation. Really made him look like a jerk. PJ said as much in couched terms. It was when we would play a four-team holiday tournament during the Dehere years.

Considering the debacle surrounding his firing at Maryland after Bias's death, he was fortunate to be admitted to the HOF. Of course, there will be little question of Pitino's anointment.

A person in an earlier generation that was heavily retaliated against to be forced out of a job. The Len Bias sudden death due to acute cocaine intoxication was a wakeup call to american culture in the mid 80s. This man lived another almost 40 years having to think what happened to his player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT