ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA presents tournament plans for 72, 76 teams

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

The NCAA has presented a plan to Division I conference commissioners that would expand the men's and women's basketball tournaments by four or eight teams alongside an option to leave each field at 68 teams, a source confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

The proposals were outlined to the commissioners this week by NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt and NCAA vice president for women's basketball Lynn Holzman, the source said. Under the proposal, expansion of the 68-team field included both four- and eight-team models. The NCAA would keep its 64-team bracket but would add play-in games involving the Nos. 10 through 12 seeds.

If the men's tournament expands, it is expected the women's tourney would as well. Yahoo Sports first reported on the proposals.

"It is appropriate to look at expansion, and we need to do that," ACC commissioner James Phillips said Thursday during the Associated Press Sports Editors summer conference. "We're looking at it."

Phillips didn't go into details on the proposal, which he said now "goes in front of the basketball committee, basketball oversight."

"When do you get to the point when the regular season doesn't matter?" Phillips said. "Modest expansion is something I would prefer."

There are many in college basketball who have said they believe the 68-team fields and three weekends of play are ideal, but pressure has grown to add teams and games to one of the most popular sports events on the U.S. calendar. Last year, the NCAA Division I board of directors approved recommendations that included allowing one-quarter of teams in larger sports to compete in championship events; in that scenario, the March Madness tournaments could expand to nearly 90 teams.

Sources told ESPN during this year's tournaments that ongoing discussions about expanding March Madness would result in no more than 80 teams for the men's event.

The NCAA is in the midst of an eight-year extension of its TV deal for the men's tournament worth $8.8 billion that runs through 2032. That would not be expected to change if a handful of teams are added.

More games would provide a small boost through ticket sales and merchandise, but the pool of money the NCAA uses to pay out conferences and member schools would essentially stay the same. What could change, however, is how that money would be divided up if the tournament broadens.

Expansion would also mean the men's tournament would have to find an additional site besides Dayton for its First Four games. The Ohio city already has games on Tuesday and Wednesday and wouldn't be able to host additional play-in games ahead of the tournament's traditional Thursday first round. Women's play-in games are at the same campus sites as the first two rounds of the tournament.

Expansion is largely backed by larger conferences, and smaller leagues do not want to lose the automatic bids that come with a conference tournament championship or face the prospect of always being slotted for the play-in games.

The earliest the NCAA tournament could expand would be the 2025-26 season, the source said. The NCAA basketball oversight committee meets next week, and the tournament selection committee has a meeting next month.

The men's tournament last expanded in 2011 when it went from 65 to 68 teams. The women's tournament went from 64 to 68 teams in 2022.

The women's tournament is coming off its most successful year ever that included a record audience of 18.7 million for the title game win by South Carolina over Iowa, the highest for a basketball broadcast of any kind in five years. It outdrew the men's championship game -- when UConn claimed its second consecutive title with a win over Purdue -- by nearly 3 million viewers. The women's tournament also had record attendance.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

hated-it-hate.gif

Just make it a clean 128 while you're at it. 7 rounds. Single elimination. If you're gonna just expand to a ridiculous number, go big or go home

Reactions: HALL85
Selection Sunday will be a four hour event.

“Ernie, what do you think of the Grand Canyon / DePaul playin game?”

Reactions: jmt6762
Can we please stop making plans to reward mediocrity, losers and participation trophy recipients? Leave that garbage to college football where it truthfully doesn’t belong either but where it has sadly found a home.
Go back to a 16 team bracket?

Selection Sunday will be a four hour event.

“Ernie, what do you think of the Grand Canyon / DePaul playin game?”
Filling out a bracket will be a 2 hour event killing interest of people who do it for fun and watch it only because they filled out a bracket. There’s such a thing as too much of a good thing. They’re getting greedy and I think greed will hurt the bottom line.

Filling out a bracket will be a 2 hour event killing interest of people who do it for fun and watch it only because they filled out a bracket. There’s such a thing as too much of a good thing. They’re getting greedy and I think greed will hurt the bottom line.
In all seriousness, I can see people using AI given the ridiculous number of teams. Instead of researching the teams, just have ChatGPT do it for you.

Can we please stop making plans to reward mediocrity, losers and participation trophy recipients? Leave that garbage to college football where it truthfully doesn’t belong either but where it has sadly found a home.
Only 12 teams make the playoffs in football.

Well, if the NCAAT doesn’t expand, what should we expect? Judging by the last bracket, fewer deserving mid majors and apparently fewer BE teams. The football 4 leagues clearly will continue to get all the teams they want in. Expansion is needed to keep bids open for conference champs and other deserving lower/mid major teams.

That’s fine but how many bowl games are there that are rewarding mediocrity and taking losing teams because all of the winning teams are playing somewhere else? There are waytoo many.
Most bowls are considered a consolation prize and are treated that way. Similar to the NIT. Starting this year only 12 teams get to be in the playoffs.

12/134 teams is 8.9%
68/351 is 19.3%
Oh man.

You really believe that more than 60 teams actually have a chance?

The whole purpose of the football playoffs is to negate the great upset wins by the smaller schools that happened years ago. The big dogs and good ol boys don’t want to lose to smaller programs.

When teams like Boise State would knock off Oklahoma and when Utah beat Alabama that was fun.

Now it can’t even happen.

The better question is:

How many different teams have made the NCAA since it was formed?

I can guarantee that over 100 of the 134 teams will never, ever see the football playoffs in the next 5 decades or more.

If they expanded the field to 19% like basketball more teams would get in. That is roughly 26 a year.

Oh man.

You really believe that more than 60 teams actually have a chance?

The whole purpose of the football playoffs is to negate the great upset wins by the smaller schools that happened years ago. The big dogs and good ol boys don’t want to lose to smaller programs.
The whole purpose of the football playoffs is to make more millions.

Well, if the NCAAT doesn’t expand, what should we expect? Judging by the last bracket, fewer deserving mid majors and apparently fewer BE teams. The football 4 leagues clearly will continue to get all the teams they want in. Expansion is needed to keep bids open for conference champs and other deserving lower/mid major teams.
The problem with that is that it really means more big conference teams making it and they continue to steal all the credits.

The whole purpose of the football playoffs is to make more millions.
Exactly. They’re betting no one wants to see Utah State against Michigan. Even if Utah state deserves to be there.

Squeeze the little guy out and just take money from the bigger fan bases’ eyeballs on games.

It’s what has me concerned about the NCAa tourney in the coming years.

Exactly. They’re betting no one wants to see Utah State against Michigan. Even if Utah state deserves to be there.

Squeeze the little guy out and just take money from the bigger fan bases’ eyeballs on games.

It’s what has me concerned about the NCAa tourney in the coming years.
Me too

In that never-ending parade of greed they are looking to fix something that isn't broken imho. The tournament now is as perfect a structure as any in other sports.
It's not pure greed. Per the article, there will be no additional revenue for the NCAA from the media contract.

It's because of the whining of the coaches (predominantly), the schools, and the conferences.

The problem with that is that it really means more big conference teams making it and they continue to steal all the credits.
Well, it’s not going to change if the NCAAT stays at 68. Expansion is the only chance to broaden out participation away from the football 4. I don’t like it but that’s reality.

I had the radio on in the background Sunday night & one of the announcers said he liked the idea because it would give a chance to a dominant mid major team that gets upset in their conference tournament but still deserve a bid. Little does he realize these extra spots are going to the P5 schools for the most part.

Reactions: Section112
I think they are comparing an ncaa bid to being bowl eligible. It seems to me that getting a bowl invite is the fb equivalent to we getting a ncaa bid in bb.
less so. just finish at .500 and you go bowling....not the case in basketball.

And...no one...and I mean no one, watches those wretched bowls that no one has heard of...including no in person fans. what a waste of time and money

They are already stealing OUR credits, to help pay for their sins of the past...

The "payments" from Conferences, should follow where the payments go to players from those same conferences. Pay for your success...

Reactions: Section112
less so. just finish at .500 and you go bowling....not the case in basketball.

And...no one...and I mean no one, watches those wretched bowls that no one has heard of...including no in person fans. what a waste of time and money
Not true, the ratings of the worst bowl games outdraw 95% of college basketball games. https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

1.4mm watched the NIT Championship game. The meaningless RU-Miami Bowl had 3.0mm viewers.

And that 1.4 million viewers was more than several 1st round NCAAT games.
Silly comparison since there's 4 NCAAT games on at a time for college baketball junkies to turn to.

I wouldn't debate ratings of football vs basketball in this country. Supporting basketball is just bringing a plastic knife to a gun fight. It is what it is in America. Low profile football games are bigger than a lot of very good basketball games.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT