ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit - Assane Mbaye

Offensively challenged (scored 26pts last season) but his strengths are obvious. Saw he was offered by Manhattan College but no recruiting profile online otherwise. I don't think he is getting NIL and I doubt he will see much playing time but great to have him knowing he 7'3, and look forward to see Sha develop him, at least for a 1 season. Welcome Assane.

Last edited:
Is this going to be the starting 5? Is he a recruit for the future? We need a wing with length that can create his own shot from the perimeter along with a PG. The height is a good thing with this recruit.

Well, we need bodies, especially some with height. He certainly meets that requirement. Looking forward to seeing how Sha develops him. Welcome aboard the Pirate Ship, Assane.

Reactions: ShoreGold
Definitely a project but the potential is there. You can't teach height and he looks like a legit 7'3 who can actually move his feet. Needs to put on weight to play at this level but I think he has much more upside than Ozdogan had. Neither of them had much of a recruiting profile but Sha obviously believes he can develop bigs..let's see how this turns out

Definitely a project but the potential is there. You can't teach height and he looks like a legit 7'3 who can actually move his feet. Needs to put on weight to play at this level but I think he has much more upside than Ozdogan had. Neither of them had much of a recruiting profile but Sha obviously believes he can develop bigs..let's see how this turns out
I doubt Mbaye sees more playing time than Arda who had way more basketball and profressional experience. We shall see.

I don't think this one is about Year 1, but more Year 2, 3 and 4 (a possible rarity in this day and age if it happens).

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Welcome aboard, Assane! We love our St. Patrick's players here at the Hall! Work hard in practice and be a good teammate! Your highlight video demonstrates that if your potential can be unlocked, and I am sure that Coach Sha has a plan, you can definitely be a significant contributor to the Pirates going forward! Good luck next year!

Let's be honest here. Being 7'3" means most of the time you'll be able to reach up and shoot over practically everyone you face. The offensive work that needs to be done will not be rocket science.

Let's be honest here. Being 7'3" means most of the time you'll be able to reach up and shoot over practically everyone you face. The offensive work that needs to be done will not be rocket science.
Not comparing him at all but Zach Edey (who also picked up the game late and was a 3-star recruit) is an inch taller so that supports your point. Having good hands gives him a big advantage. Offense will take time. Intriguing as he got a lot better as a senior.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Not comparing him at all but Zach Edey (who also picked up the game late and was a 3-star recruit) is an inch taller so that supports your point. Having good hands gives him a big advantage. Offense will take time. Intriguing as he got a lot better as a senior.
His offense looks non existent. Best case scenario is Fab Melo

Chier Ajou was an inch shorter and ….

Ultimately it comes down to individual skill development that can go either way. It’s almost like having a lottery ticket.

Chier Ajou was an inch shorter and ….

Ultimately it comes down to individual skill development that can go either way. It’s almost like having a lottery ticket.
True…it’s a crap shoot, and not to get into comparisons at this point but Ajou was like 24 when Willard signed him. At this point he’s third on the center depth chart so low expectations.

True…it’s a crap shoot, and not to get into comparisons at this point but Ajou was like 24 when Willard signed him. At this point he’s third on the center depth chart so low expectations.
Third on the depth chart, but unfortunately the depth chart at the 5 is 3a, 3b and 3c without a starter and backup.

EHE would have been ahead of all these guys and the hope was that he would be backing up a new center.

I doubt Mbaye sees more playing time than Arda who had way more basketball and profressional experience. We shall see.
Oh yea I don't disagree. I don't think Mbaye sees the floor much if it all this season unless during blowouts. He's a ways away physically and even basketball wise from competing in the BE But again, I love the height and the fact that he can actually move well. He seems very mobile for a 7'3 guy

Reactions: Flnj86
Well considering Ozdogan played 52 minutes and only appeared in 20 games, the bar is not high.

Reactions: chickenbox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT