ADVERTISEMENT

New Jersey star Jaiden Glover the latest St. John’s coup for Rick Pitino

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

You have to go all the way back to 2001 and Elijah Ingram for the last time St. John’s landed a prized recruit from New Jersey.

There were some close calls over the years, including Isaiah Briscoe, Kyle Anderson and Luther Muhammad.

But, ultimately, the Garden State’s finest have opted to pass on St. John’s.

With the hiring of Rick Pitino, that is changing.

For the second time in three months, St. John’s has landed a top recruit from New Jersey.

Three months after four-star, top-35 guard Simeon Wilcher signed, his friend Jaiden Glover also has chosen the Queens school.

“Coach Pitino, just having all that NBA experience and the way he coaches,” Glover told The Post in an exclusive interview, when asked about the overriding factor in his decision. “He’s coached so many great players obviously in the NBA for a good amount of years and coached great college players.

“Coach Pitino really put his all [into recruiting me], brought me to MSG, showed me all the history. It was really dope. … I was always interested in St. John’s. It definitely helped with him being there. St. John’s, when I went there, it felt like home.”

The 6-foot-6 Glover, from The Patrick School, becomes the centerpiece of Pitino’s 2024 recruiting class.

The four-star, top-60 wing is joined by skilled Greek guard Lefteris Liotopoulos.

Both are expected to sign in November.

Wilcher, a one-time North Carolina signee, will be part of Pitino’s first roster this winter.

Glover profiles as a 3-and-D wing, one college coach familiar with him said.

Another described him as a “good athlete in space” who can create his own shot.

His best skill is his 3-point shot, and a major factor in his emergence over the last year.

He went from an unknown to one of the top players in New Jersey, building on a strong junior season with a fantastic spring and summer on the AAU circuit.

As a younger player, he was more of an athlete, but he’s become a really good 3-point shooter,” said Jay Gomes, the publisher of NJHoops.com and the premier prep talent evaluator in the state. “He can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim better than you would think. He’s not just a shooter, but that is his strength at this point. He’s also a pretty good passer. He was an under-the-radar guy, wasn’t overhyped as a young kid, but he kept getting better and better.”

Glover, a Newark native who grew up in Brooklyn, visited over the weekend, and felt the time was right to make his decision.

He also took an official visit to St. Joseph’s, and had a final eight that included Seton Hall, Creighton, Illinois, Villanova, Providence and Ohio State.

There were initially plans to visit some of those schools, but the timing didn’t work out with some and others backed off as it became clear he was leaning toward St. John’s.

The previous coaching staff, led by holdover Van Macon, recruited Glover and Pitino made it clear he was still a priority shortly after taking the job.

Associate head coach Steve Masiello had offered Glover a scholarship when he was coaching at Manhattan, so there was an existing relationship in place.

Before this past weekend, Glover was already drawn to the idea of attending St. John’s, based on the opportunity to play close to home and under an experienced coach like Pitino.

During the trip, Glover got to see how Pitino worked, the individual skill sessions he runs and his hands-on approach during practices. It matched what Wilcher had told him regarding his first few months with the legendary coach.

“I really liked how he coached when I was at their practice,” Glover said. “Five-on-five, he’s teaching within the scrimmage instead of doing drills and breaking it down. To me, that’s the best way to learn, which is in the game.”

The individual workouts also stood out. Pitino will put players through drills that teams use in NBA draft prep, separating them from team-wide practices.

“Just his knowledge of the NBA and how to get there and how to thrive there [impressed me],” Glover said.

Since taking over in March, Pitino has already had several major recruiting wins, particularly on the transfer market, landing Ivy League stars Chris Ledlum and Jordan Dingle.

He missed on his first big high school recruit in the spring when Mackenzie Mgbako of Roselle (N.J.) Catholic committed to Indiana, but he rebounded.

Wilcher and Glover are strong additions, especially when you consider the previous drought across the Hudson.

And the Red Storm now are becoming a viable option for top New Jersey prospects.

“Any time you’re getting kids in the top five of the state, it means they can play pretty much anywhere in the country,” Gomes said. “That’s two kids that are going to help win games, that are going to help your program. If they have success, it spurs more success for the future. Kids will say, ‘Hey, they went to St. John’s. I want to follow those guys.’ ”

International basketball prospect Sasa Ciani commits to Xavier​

Jonathan Givony, ESPN

International basketball prospect Sasa Ciani has committed to Xavier in the class of 2023, he told ESPN on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-10, 20-year old center brings significant international experience with the Slovenian national team, playing for their junior teams at five FIBA events and making his debut for the senior national team in February as part of the FIBA World Cup qualifiers. He averaged 12.3 points and 8.6 rebounds at the FIBA U20 European Championship in July.

Ciani's commitment could prove to be important as Xavier has lost two experienced projected frontcourt starters in seniors Jerome Hunter and Zach Freemantle to injuries this offseason. Both are currently out indefinitely and could potentially miss the entire season.

To counter that, coach Sean Miller has reeled in a trio of European frontcourt players over the past two months, starting with 6-7 Lithuanian forward Gytis Nemeiksa, who turns 22 next week, and followed by 6-10 Lazar Djokovic, a 19-year-old Serbian forward. Ciani will occupy the Musketeers' last scholarship.

Coming off an NCAA tournament Sweet 16 appearance in his first season back at the helm for Xavier, Miller has gone back to his international recruiting roots, an area he excelled in at Arizona with the likes of Lauri Markkanen, Benn Mathurin and Azuolas Tubelis, among others.

If Freemantle and Hunter are indeed out for the season, Xavier will need to replace its top six scorers from last season, returning just one rotational player in sophomore Desmond Claude. The Musketeers' season tips Nov. 6 with a home game against Robert Morris.

Jonathan Givony is an NBA draft expert and the founder and co-owner of DraftExpress.com, a private scouting and analytics service used by NBA, NCAA and international teams.

St. John's-Rutgers exhibition to aid Vitale Pediatric Cancer fund​

• Associated Press

NEW YORK -- St. John's and Rutgers will play an exhibition game for charity in October to benefit the Dick Vitale Pediatric Cancer Research Fund at the V Foundation.

Just more than two weeks before the college basketball regular season tips off, new coach Rick Pitino and the revamped Red Storm will host the Scarlet Knights on Oct. 21 at Carnesecca Arena on their Queens campus.

All proceeds from ticket sales will go to support innovative pediatric cancer research, St. John's said in a news release Monday.

"Personally, there is no better charity than helping pediatric cancer research through the Jimmy V Foundation," said Pitino, the Hall of Fame coach who is entering his first season with the Red Storm. "There is nothing more heartbreaking than seeing a young child suffer, so we are delighted to join with Rutgers to donate money from this exhibition to the V Foundation."

The 84-year-old Vitale, a longtime ESPN college basketball analyst, announced in July that he had been diagnosed with cancer for a third time. Vitale tweeted that he had surgery in Boston, and tests revealed he had vocal cord cancer. He said he would undergo six weeks of radiation treatments, and hoped to be ready to call games this fall.

For years, Vitale has been raising funds for cancer research. He helped friend Jim Valvano to the stage at the 1993 ESPYs, where Valvano delivered his famous "Don't give up" speech. Valvano died of adenocarcinoma less than two months later.

Valvano played at Rutgers in the 1960s before coaching underdog North Carolina State to the 1983 NCAA championship.

"We are excited to partner with Rick Pitino, Dick Vitale, and the Jimmy V Foundation," Rutgers coach Steve Pikiell said. "We are thrilled to help this great charity to push forward research to help any child facing pediatric cancer."

Rutgers and St. John's will play in the preseason for the first time since 2017, when the Red Storm visited The RAC for an exhibition game that benefited the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.

The last time the schools met in the regular season, St. John's won 84-65 at Rutgers in November 2018 as part of the Gavitt Tipoff Games pitting Big East against Big Ten squads.

"I am so thankful to St. John's Rick Pitino and Rutgers (head coach) Steve Pikiell to play an exhibition game to benefit The V Foundation for kids battling cancer," Vitale said. "All the dollars donated will go for pediatric cancer research. Personally, it means so much to me as I have dedicated myself for years with my (Dick Vitale) Gala for pediatric cancer research. We have raised $68.1 million thus far, but so much more is needed. Once again, a big THANK YOU to Coach Pitino and Coach Pikiell! You guys are AWESOME BABY!"

DePaul extends AD DeWayne Peevy's contract through 2027​

• Associated Press

CHICAGO -- DePaul and athletic director DeWayne Peevy have agreed to a contract extension through June 2027, the school announced Tuesday.

A longtime college athletics administrator, Peevy was hired in August 2020. The extension comes after the school recently announced plans for an on-campus basketball practice facility that it hopes will lift its long struggling men's program and help its women's team remain successful. The school also plans to give other athletic facilities an extensive makeover.

Peevy spent 12 years before his arrival at DePaul in Kentucky's athletic department, going from a role in media relations to deputy athletic director, and oversaw the Wildcats' powerhouse basketball program. He was the SEC's media relations director before that.

It is depressing. Which assistant will be thrown under the bus when Slick Rick finds a way to violate what’s left of recruiting rules? Who was the Louisville assistant who on his own procured prostitutes for players? Why will this time be different? If anything the paid players will be more emboldened.

Sean Miller threw his assistant Book Richardson under a much bigger bus than Pitino did with Andre McGee… but do you think Xavier fans/alumni care about that?

No because Sean Miller was a great hire in this dog eat dog world of college basketball and has the X rolling.

They realized Travis Steele did not have resume to compete with the biggest boys and moved on quickly. Smart decision by a smart and highly successful Xavier administration

It is depressing. Which assistant will be thrown under the bus when Slick Rick finds a way to violate what’s left of recruiting rules? Who was the Louisville assistant who on his own procured prostitutes for players? Why will this time be different? If anything the paid players will be more emboldened.

Sour grapes.

Did he do anything that was against the rules at Iona?

Sour grapes.

Did he do anything that was against the rules at Iona?
Not really sour grapes. Just a fair appraisal of his character and proclivities.

Iona was his “halfway” house. His behavior there doesn’t change his stripes.

Reactions: catholicman
There are no rules anymore

Don’t worry we will announce our NIL plans in Jan 24’
The announcement for the new NIL plans is becoming another practice facility announcement. Not good when you think about how long that took! Does anyone in South Orange believe in a marketing plan that is not driven by a hurry up and wait agenda? The university also uses a tag line of ‘where leaders learn’. Do they teach leaders to wait and see what everyone else does, analyze it for years and then pat themselves on the back for doing less than the absolute minimum? This is unreal. We can’t get out of our own damn way! We aren’t leaders by any stretch, we aren’t even followers. We just sit on the sidelines like spectators!

Reactions: thehall07
Sean Miller threw his assistant Book Richardson under a much bigger bus than Pitino did with Andre McGee… but do you think Xavier fans/alumni care about that?

No because Sean Miller was a great hire in this dog eat dog world of college basketball and has the X rolling.

They realized Travis Steele did not have resume to compete with the biggest boys and moved on quickly. Smart decision by a smart and highly successful Xavier administration
The catholic league hired 2 of the most stigmatized coaches. Their alums are thrilled. Holier than who?

The catholic league hired 2 of the most stigmatized coaches. Their alums are thrilled. Holier than who?
The basketball schools have always hired, or sought to hire, the best candidates for their basketball programs. Whether that be head coaches, or assistant coaches who have no business being at this level. Hell I recall reading that when Calipari was enormously toxic years ago and SJU was in desperate need of a HC that was a potential outcome if not for Louie C. squashing it because of his hatred for Cal emanating from the infamous rumor Cal supposedly started about Louie when he was an assistant at Pitt and Louie was still on the sidelines (O'Neill's Big East book, I believe, tells this story and it was one of crazier ones from those legendary Big East meetings back in the day).

Not really sour grapes. Just a fair appraisal of his character and proclivities.

Iona was his “halfway” house. His behavior there doesn’t change his stripes.

And if Shaheen gets a transfer is it because he tampered and texted the transfers mom over 1,000 times while the kid was enrolled at a different school? And he deserves a show-clause?

And if KW gets a big recruit is it because he bought that recruits HS coach and let his whole family Into Maryland?

Hey. I'm just going on they're past when it comes to recruiting.

Plus as other posters have pointed out. There are no rules anymore when it comes to recruiting.

And what you meant was he committed no violations at Iona.

It is sour grapes.

The thing that stings about losing Glover is the St. Pats connect… between Sha’s legacy, Kyrie spending the summers at SHU.

But understanding the pay for play environment, this was expected.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
And if Shaheen gets a transfer is it because he tampered and texted the transfers mom over 1,000 times while the kid was enrolled at a different school? And he deserves a show-clause?

And if KW gets a big recruit is it because he bought that recruits HS coach and let his whole family Into Maryland?

Hey. I'm just going on they're past when it comes to recruiting.

Plus as other posters have pointed out. There are no rules anymore when it comes to recruiting.

And what you meant was he committed no violations at Iona.

It is sour grapes.
Bingo. Not to mention that if it is about “throwing assistants under the bus” I bet the list of Pitino loyalists is as big as anyone in the country from the coaching ranks.

You think it has nothing to do with kids wanting to play for Pitino? I mean there were a million schools this kid could have landed at and no way is SJU out NIL’ing Ohio State, Creighton, Villanova etc
I agree. Pitino has tons more oomph than most coaches. He has both the goods, and the great line of BS. And I assume he has lots of money where his mouth is too.

Last edited:
Those schools were not even on his list.
I don't pretend to know the nuances and inner-workings of all this recruiting stuff, but the Post article above said all the schools I mentioned above were among those pursuing Glover:

"He also took an official visit to St. Joseph’s, and had a final eight that included Seton Hall, Creighton, Illinois, Villanova, Providence and Ohio State."

And I think it is naive to think that when these kids have been paid for years, the head coach is still not a major factor in where they land, since everyone is playing the NIL game (albeit with different "resources" available, although that's always been the case).

I don't pretend to know the nuances and inner-workings of all this recruiting stuff, but the Post article above said all the schools I mentioned above were among those pursuing Glover:

"He also took an official visit to St. Joseph’s, and had a final eight that included Seton Hall, Creighton, Illinois, Villanova, Providence and Ohio State."

And I think it is naive to think that when these kids have been paid for years, the head coach is still not a major factor in where they land, since everyone is playing the NIL game (albeit with different "resources" available, although that's always been the case).
Here was his final 4

Maybe we should just root for a St. John’s natty so Pitino will feel he has nothing left to prove and finally call it quits… I kid, I kid.

I don’t know why we pay head coaches millions anymore if that’s the case. Just get a huge NIL fund and have Dan coach the Pirates if the HC doesn’t really matter anymore.

I don’t know why we pay head coaches millions anymore if that’s the case. Just get a huge NIL fund and have Dan coach the Pirates if the HC doesn’t really matter anymore.
Lol still need a good coach. There have been many different teams loaded with 5 star recruits that came up empty.

It is about the money these days and about what Head Coach and staff gives me the best opportunity to get to the NBA and make even more money.

Pitino is widely considered one of the best player development guys ever. That appeals to guys ranked between 30 and 100 coming out of high school

He has sent a number of guys who weren’t exactly 5 star players to the NBA. Similar to the other slick guy who once coached Nova (Bridges, Hart, Brunson, Divincenzo) And they have made lots of money…..see Donovan Mitchell and Gorgui Dieng.

That is a big advantage he has over most coaches. It can’t be underestimated

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT