ADVERTISEMENT

New Jordan Walker highlights

Gonna be special. Just not right off the bat.

The talent is there. So is the fire. Just needs experience to compliment those attributes and become the total package.

Nice job by the staff getting Walker. And nice find by his agent Artie.

I am not going to freak out if he actually plays like he needs another year to excel. I am not gonna predict he is be roy.

But it is not my opinion that he isn't ready. I love this kids game. I love the space he creates to get off his jumper. I love that he realizes his job is to get his teammates shots, and that he fed serious big guys and shooters at TPS.

Whether he plays off the bench or becomes a starter, I think he will show he is ready day one to perform, and excel in the BE.

Last edited:
Awesome video. Kid is cocky and has a chip on his shoulder. Gotta love it.

Looks like in the last 15 seconds of the video, one of the people that came up to Walker was Isaiah Whitehead.

I am not going to freak out if he actually plays like he needs another year to excel. I am not gonna predict he is be roy.

But it is not my opinion that he isn't ready. I love this kids game. I love the space he creates to get off his jumper. I love that he realizes his job is to get his teammates shots, and that he fed serious big guys and shooters at TPS.

Whether he plays off the bench or becomes a starter, I think he will show he is ready day one to perform, and excel in the BE.
There's degrees of being ready. Usually its beneficial for young players coming into college to be put in a position to succeed. In other words not be forced to handle more than they are capable of handling.

And that goes double for by far the most difficult position on the court, PG.

So often we see players, good players, play too many minutes due to need and they get exposed.

The more time you're on the court the better the chance your weaknesses will come to light. On the job training in BB is not always in the best interest of the player.

If Walker proves that he deserves a lot of PT right off the bat then that will happen. But knowing Willard I think he'll take the safe approach with Jordan and ease him in unless Walker is just so good that is made impossible.

I don't think I am breaking any news with this simple comment. The Walker we see in November will not be the one we see later in the season.

I was watching these clips all morning. I love the last highlight of him using his quick step back to shoot a 3-pointer over 7-foot tall All American Nick Richards. If he can get his shot off over him, he can get it over anyone.

Only an all-star game and he excels in these types of events but the players were going at it pretty hard at times. By the way, a lot of his highlights were against unsigned Top 10 PG Tremont Waters. He was #1 on the Green team. Walker looked bigger, stronger and quicker than Tremont.

Reactions: Joe_T and Flnj86
Agree. How many guards did we see last year in the Big East who came straight from HS, were asked to be a primary playmaker right away, and excelled? I can think of two-and-a-half: Ponds, Howard and Baldwin, who wasn't asked to do much early because he had plenty of solid veterans around him but became that guy by year end.

There's degrees of being ready. Usually its beneficial for young players coming into college to be put in a position to succeed. In other words not be forced to handle more than they are capable of handling.

And that goes double for by far the most difficult position on the court, PG.

So often we see players, good players, play too many minutes due to need and they get exposed.

The more time you're on the court the better the chance your weaknesses will come to light. On the job training in BB is not always in the best interest of the player.

If Walker proves that he deserves a lot of PT right off the bat then that will happen. But knowing Willard I think he'll take the safe approach with Jordan and ease him in unless Walker is just so good that is made impossible.

I don't think I am breaking any news with this simple comment. The Walker we see in November will not be the one we see later in the season.

Ponds and Howard were both great, as was Lovett in his first season on the floor. I am not saying jordan will be like Sha and dre abd star from the start (and I am not saying he won't be.. ) but he will he a great weapon from the get go. As was Powell....maybe not starting but a kid who will look like a 4 yr contributor from game one.

Said it before, but I think Myles cale, Sandro and Jordan are undervalued as recruits.

Reactions: Bluebeard
That step back jumper looks like SUCH A WALK.

Yet it's never called. AAU or HS regular season or State Playoffs.

So it must be a legit move. So deadly though.

I was watching these clips all morning. I love the last highlight of him using his quick step back to shoot a 3-pointer over 7-foot tall All American Nick Richards. If he can get his shot off over him, he can get it over anyone.

Only an all-star game and he excels in these types of events but the players were going at it pretty hard at times. By the way, a lot of his highlights were against unsigned Top 10 PG Tremont Waters. He was #1 on the Green team. Walker looked bigger, stronger and quicker than Tremont.

"but the players were at it pretty hard at times". Unfortunately, in the video, there was minimal guard defense and no one defending under the basket. That must've been the reason why Walker was dribbling so high.

Here's a video of him in a real game...

Agreed. And I put Lovett in the class of immediate impact guys I was talking about earlier in the thread (transfers/JUCOs), because he sat a year as a redshirt/partial qualifier. Ponds and Howard were not the norm in my view going forward for most incoming freshman in the conference, and both also benefited in having other guys to lessen to play-making load out of the gate (Lovett for Ponds and Rowsey for Howard, as Howard's biggest impact was being a great knock down shooter, with Marquette relying on others to handle the ball for significant parts of games).

Ponds and Howard were both great, as was Lovett in his first season on the floor. I am not saying jordan will be like Sha and dre abd star from the start (and I am not saying he won't be.. ) but he will he a great weapon from the get go. As was Powell....maybe not starting but a kid who will look like a 4 yr contributor from game one.

Said it before, but I think Myles cale, Sandro and Jordan are undervalued as recruits.

"but the players were at it pretty hard at times". Unfortunately, in the video, there was minimal guard defense and no one defending under the basket. That must've been the reason why Walker was dribbling so high.

Here's a video of him in a real game...
I've seen dozens of his videos including several of these all-star street-ball type games. He played at Dyckman, Rucker and Hamilton Park many times last summer in similar games. These games are all about 1 on 1 match ups for the fans with absolutely no help Defense played.

The green team was trying to play defense on him and so was the guy who tried to block his shot on the fast break which is more than can be said for most of these games.

These games are nothing like real games so tough to evaluate but you can learn something about the skill level of the players. Although Walker played a lot last year alongside Aiken, no one really thought of him that highly (myself included) during/after the HS season. He had an OK UAA season but the first time I realized he took a big step forward and was a legit prospect for us to look at was when I watched him play at Dyckman this Summer.

I watched to see JQ, King, Nazi, Isaiah Washington, Sid Wilson, Richards, Moses Brown, Luther, etc but each time I came away saying 'damn this Walker kid can play!'. He went 1 on 1 vs JQ, IW, Marquis Nowell and other highly rated guys and it was apparent that the skill levels were very similar and that Walker was faster than all of them with the ball.

I'm very confident he's going to be a good offensive player eventually with my only real concern long-term being his defense. I'm hoping he will get a lot stronger and tougher on defense. It might take time but I don't doubt that he can improve.

This group of backcourt players as a whole might be as good as any except the 1989 team. Carrington, Powell, Cale, Walker and Gordon is a pretty dynamic bunch. I guess Cale belongs there??

Slim shot at one more?? I guess the group with IW, Carrington and Gordon is right there too??

Reactions: mbraue
Gonna be special. Just not right off the bat.

The talent is there. So is the fire. Just needs experience to compliment those attributes and become the total package.

Nice job by the staff getting Walker. And nice find by his agent Artie.
I watched one of the tapes against Hudson Catholic - Walker stole the ball several times against Quinerly. It was noticeable - maybe teammates threw some poor passes his way but Walker's quickness on defense stood out.

Reactions: Seton00
What is really interesting about Walker is how he has elevated his game. There was a video posted on his training. It could be the one with IW2 on it. In that video, he is being drilled with that side jump to get off his shot and in this video, he is executing that same drill in a game.

Walker is only going to get better. I don't see how he doesn't play 20 minutes a game. I think a lot of people do not want to set expectations with Walker and give him time to develop naturally. This is fine. However, I think he is too good not play major minutes and the fact that the team will just be better with him at the PG and Carrington at the 2G.

This group of backcourt players as a whole might be as good as any except the 1989 team. Carrington, Powell, Cale, Walker and Gordon is a pretty dynamic bunch. I guess Cale belongs there??

Slim shot at one more?? I guess the group with IW, Carrington and Gordon is right there too??

Wow that is pretty high praise considering you had Dehere, Caver, Hurley In 1993 and Dehere, Taylor and Caver in 1991. Don't forget Shaheen, Level Sanders and Rimas for two year is 1997 and 1998. As far as depth goes, don't forget the year we had Holloway, Rimas, Darius Lane and Ty Shine when we went to the Sweet 16. Most of the history of Seton Hall we have been spoiled with really good guards.

Reactions: Piratz
I agree that group of Dehere, Caver and Hurley is going to be hard to top also.

Put Terry in any of the good backcourts and that one is the best.

He and PJ could just not get along.

Carlesimo, who has become a Seton Hall lengend comes off as a nice guy on TV but trust me he was a task master. That's one coach you did not want to cross.

Saw him twice lay hands on Walker and then Dehere during games. And when I say lay hands I mean grab the player by the straps on his uniform and shake him violently. Thankfully neither game was on TV.

But one was and PJ got caught in the runway at the end of the first half when he pushed/punched Assaf Barnea in his back. I remember the shock in the national media about nice guy Carleismo doing such a thing. Little did they know.

When PJ got choked by Latrell Sprewell my only surprise was it didn't happen sooner. NBA players will not put up with what college players do.

Carlesimo, who has become a Seton Hall lengend comes off as a nice guy on TV but trust me he was a task master. That's one coach you did not want to cross.

Saw him twice lay hands on Walker and then Dehere during games. And when I say lay hands I mean grab the player by the straps on his uniform and shake him violently. Thankfully neither game was on TV.

But one was and PJ got caught in the runway at the end of the first half when he pushed/punched Assaf Barnea in his back. I remember the shock in the national media about nice guy Carleismo doing such a thing. Little did they know.

When PJ got choked by Latrell Sprewell my only surprise was it didn't happen sooner. NBA players will not put up with what college players do.

I remember the Assaf Barnea incident vividly. It was ugly.

PJ is a complex character. I know Ryan Ruocco really well, and he told me that when he was in his first year announcing for the Nets the nicest guy and the one who treated him with the most respect was assistant coach Carlesimo.

Jekyll and Hyde.

Could be the nicest guy you ever talked to or the polar opposite.

He was incredibly nice to the Booster Club and its members back in the day.

But one time I remember in a Q&A with said Booster Club at the Student's Center our own SnakeTom asked him the most innocuous question to start off and PJ went nuts on him. He then asked for the next question and none of us had the guts to raise our hands. :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: NYC Pirate
IMO, Caver is the one player that PJ did not make better during his career. Caver had so much talent and a natural gift for making the spectacular play. This was not the PJ way where he wanted fundamental basketball.

I remember one game the Hall is playing St John's and whipping them by 16 -18 points. Caver threw a bad alley top pass to Dehere and PJ went ballistic and took him out. PJ stunted Caver's natural flashy style to Caver's detriment. However, the one thing that really held Cave back was his outside shot. Everything else about Caver screamed NBA pro.

Reactions: Potbelly407
I remember the Assaf Barnea incident vividly. It was ugly.

PJ is a complex character. I know Ryan Ruocco really well, and he told me that when he was in his first year announcing for the Nets the nicest guy and the one who treated him with the most respect was assistant coach Carlesimo.
Barnea came in late in the first half, failed to box out the UNLV All American forward (Johnson?) who scored on an offensive rebound right at the end of the 1st half. Rather than being down 3 going into the locker room, SHU was down 5. PJ went nuts.

I took my son to watch Bryan in the jsbl a yr or so after he graduated. His first shot was a swish three from the top of the key. But that didn't continue. Pj was the wrong coach for him.

Barnea came in late in the first half, failed to box out the UNLV All American forward (Johnson?) who scored on an offensive rebound right at the end of the 1st half. Rather than being down 3 going into the locker room, SHU was down 5. PJ went nuts.
The Barnea push wasn't vs unlv, was it? I remember it as a BE game.

IMO, Caver is the one player that PJ did not make better during his career. Caver had so much talent and a natural gift for making the spectacular play. This was not the PJ way where he wanted fundamental basketball.

I remember one game the Hall is playing St John's and whipping them by 16 -18 points. Caver threw a bad alley top pass to Dehere and PJ went ballistic and took him out. PJ stunted Caver's natural flashy style to Caver's detriment. However, the one thing that really held Cave back was his outside shot. Everything else about Caver screamed NBA pro.

At one point didn't PJ also have Hurley to put into the game?

At one point didn't PJ also have Hurley to put into the game?
I remember a game at Walsh where he benched Caver and Hurley for Daryl Crist. He was a tough task master. That approach does t work well with all personalities - the art of tough love.

My first year of season tickets was 1991-2. I sat upstairs first row across from the Pirate bench. I could hear it today as I heard it then, PJ screaming BRIAN! I thought PJ was a Bobby Knight clone.

Reactions: Fishjam
I don't remember the team but I really don't think it was in a Big East game.
UNLV Elite 8 game in '91. It was the very last play of the 1st half. As the team is walking into the locker room, PJ ran up to Barnea, shoves him in the back and starts screaming at him. Caught on camera.

And yes this thread is about Jordan Walker!

UNLV Elite 8 game in '91. It was the very last play of the 1st half. As the team is walking into the locker room, PJ ran up to Barnea, shoves him in the back and starts screaming at him. Caught on camera.

And yes this thread is about Jordan Walker!
I remember him pushing Barnea on the way to the lockeroom halftime, just didn't think it was an ncaa team. But I will assume you are correct.

I had a friend who played for PJ at Wagner. He told me his parents loved PJ and was a charmer. But then the first day of practice hit and it was like the devil. Lol He also said that PJ got every ounce of talent out of every player on that team.

Yes, PJ was tough and he was not for every kid. But, he was a great coach. He never had the stud player that became an NBA star. He had hard working tough kids and made them the best player that they could be with the exception being Caver. And in the end, those players became a team by the end of the year and Seton Hall was always a threat in the Tournament.

Walker is going to be really, really good as long as he keeps his head on straight, works hard, and is a team player. Especially joining a veteran group ready to make a run. I also understand the sentiment to keep expectations low, keep it coachable, and so forth. We're going to see major growth in his game during the course of next season.

Just blend in, learn from the likes of Delgado, Carrington, Rodriguez, and Sanogo. Get them the ball. Learn the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT