ADVERTISEMENT

New Jordan Walker highlights

I had a friend who played for PJ at Wagner. He told me his parents loved PJ and was a charmer. But then the first day of practice hit and it was like the devil. Lol He also said that PJ got every ounce of talent out of every player on that team.

Yes, PJ was tough and he was not for every kid. But, he was a great coach. He never had the stud player that became an NBA star. He had hard working tough kids and made them the best player that they could be with the exception being Caver. And in the end, those players became a team by the end of the year and Seton Hall was always a threat in the Tournament.

Those are usually the ingredients required to be successful when it comes to coaching major sports. These types obviously have talent, expertise, and a plan which is not compromise, fueled by an ultra-high level of competitiveness and passion, bordering on obsessive-like worth ethic, but also have to be a people person to lead.

PJ was all of those things. Some of it spilled over at times, like every great coach.

Last night Paul O'Neill was in the booth for Yankees-Reds. He was similar to this. One of the genuinely nicest guys (and this even comes through on his broadcasts), but also incredibly driven and a perfectionist as a player on the field that spilled out on innocent water coolers, lol.

PJ coached the frosh team at Fordham after frosh were eligible to play varsity (I guess this was about 1974.) . No serious hoop players were on the team. A good friend of mine, the soccer goalie, played along with a few of his friends who played baseball. My friend had no issues with him. A couple of the baseball players would go ballistic if you mentioned his name. fwiw

Lots of coaches are tough as nails, but after the kids graduate, a real affection seems to exist. I hope that was the case with our guys...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT