ADVERTISEMENT

New on NJ.com - Pat Hobbs - "The Downfall of an Athletic Director

This is very well-reported by Fonseca and Politi. I had also intuited the football program's coolness toward him, but this makes it quite evident. I think his instinct to push back and conduct his own search was the right one, but not if he was going to hire another Chris Ash. He probably knew he'd be spending down most of his capital if his own pick floundered, but they would've put a statue of him outside the stadium if he managed to break them of their Schiano dependency issues.

Reactions: TomD82
I'm not familiar with this part:

"His pitch was simple. He was the man who hired a pair of coaches, Greg Schiano and Steve Pikiell, who had turned basement-dwelling programs into contenders."

Reactions: SHUSource
I'm not familiar with this part:

"His pitch was simple. He was the man who hired a pair of coaches, Greg Schiano and Steve Pikiell, who had turned basement-dwelling programs into contenders."
Pikiell was a very good hire, and keeping him there has been impressive. The Schiano part of Hobbs' reasoning is confusing, though: He didn't want him, which mitigates the extent to which it accrues to him. On the other hand, since he has certainly not turned them into anything resembling a contender, his resistance to the hire seems like a neutral, or even a credit, to him.

I'd have just as soon left that part of my request for an increase!

Avarice nothing more. And it’s been the downfall of many. This guy has a highly stressful but well paid gig. He had in place the basis for success in the only two sports that matter. Yet his eyes wandered and like Caesar his enemies pounced.

Avarice nothing more. And it’s been the downfall of many. This guy has a highly stressful but well paid gig. He had in place the basis for success in the only two sports that matter. Yet his eyes wandered and like Caesar his enemies pounced.
Happens too often. People in power think they are immune to the ramifications of their actions. We can accuse “enemies” of pouncing but this was entirely self-inflicted.

High paid but most jobs that pay that coin are way more stressful.

Reactions: TomD82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT