ADVERTISEMENT

Nova home court looks 1/3 full

Are you surprised by this? I'm not. For a program like Nova, the NIT is an utter disappointment. 20+ years ago, maybe even 10+ years ago, it had some draw. In this era, different story.

There were certainly enough there to hear some boos at the end.

VCU ran a crucial inbound play and had a run out or two in the last minute that made them look silly.

Reactions: Section112
I’d rather UConn save the league and watch nova fans suffer.

Kyle Neptune is entering his final season at nova unless he can turn it around.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I was rooting for Nova but pondering how Nova could have pounded us so badly in philly. Their offense is putrid at times.

VCU looked really good. They have four or five players with 7+ foot wing spans. They played very good defense.

A bunch of spoiled rich kids were not interested in going !!!!
Place was very empty, but lets not make it like we drew 8,000 to our NIT game. Were probably more people at Nova game than SHU game. Granted SHU probably could have sold more seats if not capped by the extremely small capacity of Walsh.

Let’s call it like it is, the NIT is a joke now, I pull for the leagues success but in all honesty no one cares about the NIT anymore. Used to have some appeal, but it’s gone now

Reactions: dehere23 and SPK145
I love Nova the team. Their success if good for my team. And I cringe at how SHU fans would be seen by others if we were coming off the success they had under Jay.

Let’s call it like it is, the NIT is a joke now, I pull for the leagues success but in all honesty no one cares about the NIT anymore. Used to have some appeal, but it’s gone now
I think it's a little bit like Santa Claus: If you believe in him, he's still real.

Everyone knows what the NIT has become, but if you get two teams who want to compete pitted against each other, and enough fans to show up and create some atmosphere, then it matters. It's not the NCAAs, but it's a chance to feel good about the end of the season and (assuming any roster continuity, a very fluid thing) even build a foundation for next year.

Even once the NCAAs begin in earnest, I'll keep caring until Seton Hall is sent home. I'd love to win it.

I think it's a little bit like Santa Claus: If you believe in him, he's still real.

Everyone knows what the NIT has become, but if you get two teams who want to compete pitted against each other, and enough fans to show up and create some atmosphere, then it matters. It's not the NCAAs, but it's a chance to feel good about the end of the season and (assuming any roster continuity, a very fluid thing) even build a foundation for next year.

Even once the NCAAs begin in earnest, I'll keep caring until Seton Hall is sent home. I'd love to win it.
I am with Source. For me, winning the NIT would be great. Not as good as making the NCAAs. But next best thing.

I agree for the most part but having our game on ESPN2 was a definite+. It was a very entertaining game & both teams played hard. Also, I'm sure Reynolds & the big guy from St Joe's made some serious NIL coin after their performances.

I agree for the most part but having our game on ESPN2 was a definite+. It was a very entertaining game & both teams played hard. Also, I'm sure Reynolds & the big guy from St Joe's made some serious NIL coin after their performances.
It‘s like the playoffs in sports like the NHL. If your team isn’t playing, then most people tune out. I even pay little attention to baseball by the time the World Series comes along.

It comes down to if you want to watch, watch… and if you don’t, then don’t.

Yes but does that preclude commentary on Nova?
Just that it’s college basketball and it can happen to just about anyone.

I’m okay with the NIT, but one thing I would never do is bet on any of the games. Beyond unpredictable.

Honestly who watched it other than shu fans, st joes fans? Mid majors are the only ones who care and it’s an exhibition in reality…

I know many here are taking joy at Nova's struggles. But we should all remember it was the Wildcats that saved the Big East for many years.

We owe them for that.
During tournament time we should all want to see every Big East Team do well. Everyone benefits then, we need to remember that.

Reactions: radecicco
I’d rather UConn save the league and watch nova fans suffer.

Kyle Neptune is entering his final season at nova unless he can turn it around.
In a sport dominated by public schools with unlimited (free) money, It's important to see a small private Catholic school succeed at an elite level. A proof of concept that it's possible for a school like Seton Hall to be successful.

If it's just UConn that is elite, it just strengthens the narrative that you need to be a state/football school to be successful in basketball.

I would go as far to say it's exponentially more important for a school like Nova to carry the torch of the league.

In a sport dominated by public schools with unlimited (free) money, It's important to see a small private Catholic school succeed at an elite level. A proof of concept that it's possible for a school like Seton Hall to be successful.

If it's just UConn that is elite, it just strengthens the narrative that you need to be a state/football school to be successful in basketball.

I would go as far to say it's exponentially more important for a school like Nova to carry the torch of the league.
I agree 100% with you. I just really don’t like nova fans. but that narrative is true and will remain true outside of the 1 off Catholic schools with big time money

I agree 100% with you. I just really don’t like nova fans. but that narrative is true and will remain true outside of the 1 off Catholic schools with big time money
Oh man, don't get me wrong. I hate Nova. They are the bully on the block that has been stealing our lunch money for years. However, I also recognize that they saved the BigEast and it's extremely important for them to remain nationally relevant/elite.

Honestly who watched it other than shu fans, st joes fans? Mid majors are the only ones who care and it’s an exhibition in reality…

Have you seen the thread of all the pissed off fans that couldn't get tickets? Just because you're not a fan doesn't mean everyone agrees with you.

Have you seen the thread of all the pissed off fans that couldn't get tickets? Just because you're not a fan doesn't mean everyone agrees with you.
The place seats 1300, relax with that, and not everyone needs to agree with me and that’s fine.. but the tournament isn’t what it used to be, which is why you have multiple teams rejecting invitations and having players sit out on teams that were playing. Then you have the top teams no show because they don’t care and lose because you have the mid majors playing like it’s their Super Bowl…

Reactions: Gohall129
You have certain fanbases that are excited, I want them to win and I’m watching and pulling… but the tournament is a shell of its former self and only a very small fraction of people even realize it’s going on… but with teams rejecting invitations and players not playing in it like what you had with providence… the whole tournament is a joke…

Reactions: Gohall129
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT