ADVERTISEMENT

NY Giants picks

Giants didn’t want to ‘sit and wait’ to draft Aaron Robinson​

By Paul Schwartz

It was no secret the Giants wanted to select a cornerback in the first two days of the 2021 NFL Draft. They would have taken Patrick Surtain II or Jaycee Horn in the first round, but both were off the board, prompting the Giants to trade down.

Two rounds later, the Giants traded up to get one, moving from No. 76 to 71 in the third round Friday night to get Aaron Robinson from Central Florida.

“The value we had on Aaron, I just didn’t want to sit and wait,’’ general manger Dave Gettleman said. “He’s a press corner, and really fits what we do and who we want to be on defense.’’

Robinson started the past two years at Central Florida after transferring from Alabama. The Giants admittedly did not know much about him early in the process.

“I was sitting here through the pandemic, threw on the UCF tape and his instincts, his toughness and his tackling jumped out to me,’’ director of college scouting Chris Pettit said.

Two meetings with Robinson at the Senior Bowl went a long way toward the Giants giving him their stamp of approval.

“This guy’s got a good personality, he really lights up,’’ head coach Joe Judge said. “On the field when he makes a play his teammates immediately sprint to him, you can see he has a bond with his teammates.’’

The Giants see Robinson as a physical corner who can play in the slot, and perhaps on the boundary, as well. They have James Bradberry and newly signed Adoree’ Jackson as their starting corners, and Darnay Holmes, Sam Beal and Isaac Yiadom also are on the roster. The Giants liked Robinson enough to trade up for him.

“Thank those guys for believing in me,’’ Robinson said. “That just pushes me to want to get up there and work 10 times harder for some guys who believed in me.’’

DG has made some bad moves in Free Agency but his drafts are far from bad. I think Daniel Jones has a lot of talent. Second fastest QB in open field last year by statistics. Good arm. When he has time he accurate. He has had garbage talent on the line and at skill positions. Sheppard has been on and off the field last 2 seasons, Barkley more off, Tate was awful. Slayton after a surprising rookie year was disappointing, likely due to teams doubling him. Engram dropped more balls than I can count and many ended up in the defender's hands after the drop. The line did show improvement as the year went on and with drastic upgrade at the skill positions he should be able to get the ball out sooner. There were many players drafted the past few years in player rounds that contributed. Every team has misses like Baker which turned out to be innocent. Who else was a bust?
Reese was awful with the exception of one year.
Jones, Lawrence and Baker were all over drafted. Baker was a bust before he got into trouble. Beal is a bust and so is Carter so much that they tried to sign Leonard Floyd as an UFA who plays the exact position. The 33rd pick in a draft an OG has been beaten out by a 5th round pick ranked as the worst OG by PFF last season. He took a RB 2nd overall when most teams won't even draft one in the 1st round anymore. He drafted the worst OT so far in last year's draft. Yes, Slayton and BJ Hill 3rd and 5th round picks respectively can play some.

This guy is 15-33 with at least 10 losses in each season as GM of the NY Football Giants for a reason. Actually lots of reasons and his drafting is a big one of those reasons.

Last edited:
Loved the second round pick as it addressed a priority need and certainly got value with the 50th pick after trading down. I still believe the first and third round picks were not at a position of need as the O- L still looks woefully weak and should have been addressed before you get to the third day of the draft. With only a 4th round pick and two 6th round picks left a O-Lineman who can step in and start is unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry1992
IMO. Not addressing offensive line in first three rounds is mistake. Nice to have weapons at receiver but the quarterback needs time to throw. Hopefully, they can find a couple decent ones today to add some depth on line.

Reactions: TomD82
The truth is we just can't really evaluate yet. Also, you would think Joe Judge has to be onboard with these picks? Still some picks to be chosen and now you have to get lucky with an OL in later rounds. It does seem as if players Giants wanted were being picked off. Can't blame DG for everything. Maybe they could have gone with an OL at 20 and a WR in round 3? That is a good debate. The #2 pick was a guy they targeted and he could be that impact defensive player. His injury history was the only thing preventing a first round choice by a team.

The Giants have lost Tomlinson ,Zeitler Fackrell and Gallman.. They have retained Williams, added Golladay, Rudolph, Ross ,Booker, Odenigbo ,Fulton and Adoree Jackson. In the draft Toney, Ojulari and Robinson into the mix. Barkley and Carter returning from injury.

Another reach were Dave thinks he can show people how great he thinks he is.
This! Gettleman is always trying to prove how smart he is by making questionable picks that if they work he’ll be viewed as a shrew talent evaluator . If he just stuck to the basics his picks. would be so much better.

Reactions: SHU_Pirate1

Giants take pass rusher Elerson Smith in fourth round of NFL Draft​

By Paul Schwartz

The Giants stayed with their trend after the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft by adding to their defense, selecting defensive end Elerson Smith of Northern Iowa in the fourth round, with the 116th overall pick.

Smith is a pass rusher who burst on the scene in 2019 with 14 sacks, albeit at a lower level of competition than Power 5 schools. Northern Iowa’s fall season was cancelled and he opted out of the spring season to prepare for his Pro Day, the Senior Bowl and the draft.

A one-year starter, the 6-foot-6, 252-pound Smith has gained 50 pounds since 2016. He had long arms but a narrow lower body before filling out his frame.

In addition to his impressive 2019 sack total, Smith had 21.5 tackles for loss and five forced fumbles.

This is another case of the Giants looking for pass rush help after they took linebacker Azeez Ojulari from Georgia in the second round.

The two rookies will join a young group of edge rushers, including two players, Lorenzo Carter and Oshane Ximines, coming back from injury-filled 2020 seasons, and also Cam Brown, Carter Coughlin coming off their rookie seasons and free agent pickups Ifeadi Odenigbo and Ryan Anderson.

Smith marked the third straight pick the Giants have used on a defender, as they also took cornerback Aaron Robinson from Central Florida in the third round.

The Giants selected wide receiver Kadarius Toney from Florida after trading down to No. 20 in the first round.

How could the Giants not draft one O-Lineman but draft two defensive backs for their strongest and most effective unit , their secondary. Add to that they didn’t add an interior defensive lineman either which needed strengthening.

Grading every Giants pick in 2021 NFL Draft​

By Ryan Dunleavy

The Giants didn’t need the No. 2-overall pick or three first-rounders to make a splash in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Unlike the past three drafts of general manager Dave Gettleman’s tenure, the Giants didn’t act over-aggressive or defy the scouting consensus with bold picks.

This felt very much like a “let the board come to us” philosophy — and the Giants could be rewarded for it this upcoming season and in the future, after adding three extra picks in the 2022 draft.

Round 1, No. 20 overall: Kadarius Toney (WR, Florida)​

The trade back from No. 11 to pick up a 2022 first-rounder plus two other picks is an A+. The player? More of a B+ because of questions of whether he fits a playbook light on pre-snap motion, whether WR was the right fit after signing free agent Kenny Golladay, and some character and injury concerns.

Grade: A-

Round 2, No. 50 overall: Azeez Ojulari (OLB, Georgia)​

Another trade down from No. 42 netted a third-rounder in 2022. The Giants filled their biggest need with a pass-rusher who was in the discussion for pick No. 11 at one point. He led the SEC in tackles for loss, sacks and forced fumbles. He never missed a game at Georgia, though some teams were scared off by a recently diagnosed arthritic knee.

Grade: A+

Round 3, No. 71 overall: Aaron Robinson (CB, Central Florida)​

Rare five-year college player who began his career at Alabama. Robinson immediately will challenge 2020 fourth-round pick Darnay Holmes to start in the slot but can bump to the outside if necessary. He tackles more like a safety and will bump-and-run with receivers.

Grade: A

Round 4, No. 116 overall: Elerson Smith (OLB, Northern Iowa)​

It’s hard to figure why the Giants didn’t address the offensive line to start off Day 3, when three tackles and a guard went later in the fourth and they were staring at an 80-pick gap. Smith had 21.5 tackles for loss (14 sacks) and five forced fumbles in 2019 before the 2020 FCS fall football season was postponed due to COVID-19.

Grade: B

Round 6, No. 196 overall: Gary Brightwell (RB, Arizona)​

The Giants needed a young running back — none drafted since Saquon Barkley in 2018 — with special teams ability. Brightwell played on all four units in the past and cares about the “hidden yards.” Right up Joe Judge’s alley. Just 264 career offensive touches — 19 receptions — so he should have fresh legs entering the NFL.

Grade: B-

Round 6, No. 201 overall: Rodarius Williams (CB, Oklahoma State)​

Williams will turn 25 in the first month of the season and is the older brother of 2019 second-round pick Greedy Williams of the Browns. Like Robinson, he connected with the Giants at the Senior Bowl. Oklahoma State’s record-holder with 48 straight starts played a lot of man-to-man coverage and defended 33 passes. Not much special teams experience.

Grade: C

Overall draft class grade: A

Reactions: Section112
I haven’t said these words in a long time but I’m happy with the Giants draft. And 2022 has a ton of talent coming out and we’ve got some terrific picks for next year. They totally were thinking out of the box with Tony and got two edge rushers with serious potential and a corner that can fly and is tough. I get the offensive line worries but they spent a lot of draft capital last year on offensive lineman and they sound committed to developing those guys. Hope they are right. The other fact that is important is Judge has brought in some terrific coaches so hoping they coach em up. I like the focus on speed.

I haven’t said these words in a long time but I’m happy with the Giants draft. And 2022 has a ton of talent coming out and we’ve got some terrific picks for next year. They totally were thinking out of the box with Tony and got two edge rushers with serious potential and a corner that can fly and is tough. I get the offensive line worries but they spent a lot of draft capital last year on offensive lineman and they sound committed to developing those guys. Hope they are right. The other fact that is important is Judge has brought in some terrific coaches so hoping they coach em up. I like the focus on speed.
They are going to need to. But to me the OL coaches have been a carousel. And we both know how we feel about Garrett. The 2nd edge rusher was called a reach by walter football which is why I brought up reach. They must have drafted a dozen CBs the last 3 years I swear.

They are going to need to. But to me the OL coaches have been a carousel. And we both know how we feel about Garrett. The 2nd edge rusher was called a reach by walter football which is why I brought up reach. They must have drafted a dozen CBs the last 3 years I swear.
The key move this year is they brought in Pat Flaherty to help the new O line Coach Sale. That is huge. Pat Flaherty is the best o line coach the Giants ever had and known as one of the best ever in the NFL. Hopefully he can help with these young lineman. Degugliemo was a huge mistake by Judge and he knows and is trying to fix it. None better than Flaherty. Hope he can coach up these guys and teach Sale too. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Potbelly407
And let’s not forget they’ve been active in the free agent market for DB’s as well In addition to adding DB’s thru the draft.

CBs they drafted prior to this year have been a disappointment. Holmes has potential and played well down the stretch last year but he’s that 3rd CB in passing situations. Beal and Love may not make the team. Not enough speed.

NFL draft 2021: Biggest offseason questions​

New York Giants

What about the offensive line?

The Giants didn't draft an offensive lineman with any of their six picks. They now head into the season with some legitimate questions about each of the five spots. But as GM Dave Gettleman noted, the Giants "have a little more confidence in our offensive linemen than you guys [media] do." New York is counting heavily on last year's draft class, including tackles Andrew Thomas and Matt Peart and guard Shane Lemieux, making significant strides. If not, quarterback Daniel Jones could be in trouble. -- Jordan Raanan

Jordan RaananESPN Staff Writer​

The Giants did not address offensive line in the draft. GM Dave Gettleman: "It's really apparent that we have a little more confidence in our offensive linemen players than you guys do." They weren't going to take a player just to take a player. Value had to marry with need.

Dave Gettleman’s bold NFL Draft moves reveal his Giants plan​

By Paul Schwartz

Waiting a year, for anything, is not for the impatient among us.

Many of the seeds sown this past weekend by Dave Gettleman will not begin to peek out of the dirt until the 2022 NFL Draft, as the Giants cagily gained extra picks in the first, third and fourth rounds. In a win-now season up ahead, the general manager maximized future assets, and that is the sign of a team-first executive.

Gettleman’s “batting average’’ — the term used by co-owner John Mara — must continue to rise for the 70-year old to return in 2022, when those extra draft picks — akin to pure gold — are utilized or bundled and dealt. The Giants are 5-11 and 4-12 and 6-10 in Gettleman’s three years. Everyone in the organization believes they got it right with Joe Judge as head coach. It is time to win more than they lose, and how third-year quarterback Daniel Jones navigates through his critical third season and how much of a true playoff contender the Giants actually are — not the farce of the 2020 NFL East slog — determines whether or not Gettleman gets to leave on his own terms.

Yet Gettleman collaborated with ownership, Judge and the rest of the front office and determined not making a pick at No. 11, and then not making a pick at No. 42, were the smart plays.

“To be honest with you, it makes it fun knowing that we have all these opportunities to take players next year,’’ Chris Pettit, the director of college scouting, said.

Yes, next year. Are the Giants coming off a 10-7 season? Or 11-6? Did they make it into the playoffs or never come close? Gettleman creating the 2022 bonanza shows his primary consideration is the long-term health of the franchise and not the short-term impact on his job security.

Not that the Giants are playing the long game here. They were more aggressive in free agency than anyone expected them to be, throwing money around. They think the players they selected — wide receiver Kadarius Toney and outside linebacker Azeez Ojulari — after moving down in the draft are NFL-ready guys. Gettleman is not in self-preservation mode, but there is urgency coursing through the building to get the franchise where it needs to be.

“I felt we’ve had a very good roster-building season,’’ Gettleman said.

Now, as always, it comes down to the quality of the players. It is always about the players. Staying “true to our draft board’’ or, better still, “he was the highest-rated player on our board’’ is all fine and dandy, a bunch of sound and fury, signifying nothing. How effective and intelligent a team is in assembling its board is what separates the draft kings from the draft paupers.

Based on presumed value, the Giants may have pulled the greatest caper of the entire draft, getting Ojulari with the No. 50-overall pick, after trading back from No. 42. Are you kidding? A pass rusher with a solid first-round grade drops past the middle of the second round, the Giants get him and, with the trade down, they also procure an extra 2022 third-round pick via the Dolphins? Outrageously good.

But here’s the caveat: What is Ojulari? There were 49 players selected before he came off the board so we need to slow the roll on him being the next great sack artist. Is the arthritic condition in his knee going to limit him in any way? The Giants say no. Other teams say yes. Maybe Ojulari is the next great Nigerian menacer of quarterbacks for the Giants, following Osi Umenyiora, like Ojulari a second-round pick, taken 46th overall in 2003.

The immediate letdown when Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith were gone by No. 11 gave way to the possibility that the first trade down for Gettleman in 55 draft selections could bring back a haul and also Toney, a player the front office and coaching staff rate just a small notch below the two more heralded Alabama receivers. When the Giants are on the clock a year from now with the Bears’ first-round pick — could it be in the top 10? — the true impact of this maneuver will be felt and appreciated.

Is Gettleman all of a sudden Trader Dave, a sign Judge is now quietly and unofficially running the show? Of course not. The Giants do not pay general managers to serve as lackeys.

“From the day I got here we all worked together very well,’’ Judge said. “It’s been very open on both sides of the building. It’s just one building.’’

Gettleman: “I think that we have a great collaborative group going here. It’s not about me. It’s not about Joe. It’s about the New York Football Giants.

The general manager made bold moves for the present and his plan is to be around in the future, to reap the rewards of his handiwork.

Jones, Lawrence and Baker were all over drafted. Baker was a bust before he got into trouble. Beal is a bust and so is Carter so much that they tried to sign Leonard Floyd as an UFA who plays the exact position. The 33rd pick in a draft an OG has been beaten out by a 5th round pick ranked as the worst OG by PFF last season. He took a RB 2nd overall when most teams won't even draft one in the 1st round anymore. He drafted the worst OT so far in last year's draft. Yes, Slayton and BJ Hill 3rd and 5th round picks respectively can play some.

This guy is 15-33 with at least 10 losses in each season as GM of the NY Football Giants for a reason. Actually lots of reasons and his drafting is a big one of those reasons.
I can't judge him on record. He inherited a dumpster fire as far as talent. Like I said you're going to miss on some. I wouldn't call Hernandez or Carter busts. Keiper said if Jones were in this draft he'd have him as the #2 QB in this draft behind Lawrence. Meet here were clambering for Haskins who I believe is out of the league.

The key move this year is they brought in Pat Flaherty to help the new O line Coach Sale. That is huge. Pat Flaherty is the best o line coach the Giants ever had and known as one of the best ever in the NFL. Hopefully he can help with these young lineman. Degugliemo was a huge mistake by Judge and he knows and is trying to fix it. None better than Flaherty. Hope he can coach up these guys and teach Sale too. Fingers crossed.
Just asking, why was Degugliemo a mistake? I thought the line improved dramatically after he arrived. Last 6+ games the running game was very good. I know it didn't rub the original line coach well and let to his firing but teh line did get better.

Just asking, why was Degugliemo a mistake? I thought the line improved dramatically after he arrived. Last 6+ games the running game was very good. I know it didn't rub the original line coach well and let to his firing but teh line did get better.
It was a mistake IMO. In the last 6 games the Giants allowed 22 sacks (almost 4 per game). They scored an average of 14 points per game in the last 6 games. That is not progress. Columbo was actually making progress with this group but he was hard headed too. Deglugliemo is a controversial guy with a reputation who has not lasted very long at any of his stops. He was successful at the Giants in a previous stint but under guess who Pat Flaherty. The Giants O lineman did not like the fact that he tried to change their technique in mid-season and complained to Judge about it. Not a smart coaching move by Degugliamo to try and change their technique drastically midseason and a mistake by Judge to bring him in IMO. He was in such high demand from other NFL teams over the winter that he is now the line coach at Louisiana Tech.

Last edited:
Here’s the current list of O - Lineman on the Giants Roster:

Zach Fulton 30 with 8 years experience
Nick Gates 25 with 4 years experience
Hernandez 25 with 4 years experience
Shane Lemieux 23 with i year experience
Matt Peart 23 with 1 year experience
Chad Slade 28 with 3 years experience
Solder 33 with 10 years experience
Andrew Thomas 22 with 1 year experience
Ken Wiggins 32 with 8 years experience

I keep asking myself if that’s an O-Line that’s good enough to protect Jones , allow the Giants to use their improved offensive weapons and win the NFC East and right now my answer is no. If Gates, Hernandez , Lemieux , Peart and Thomas make significant improvement and Solder and Fulton play well then there is a chance for the Giants to win the NFC East but they need stability from the O- Line coaches from day 1 of the coming season and avoid the turmoil that existed last season as part of improving the O- Line play.

Fulton 11 sacks and 3 holding penalties last season. And as far as flconticello's post on inheriting a dumpster fire Getty is on record saying fix the OL and the Giants are ready to win. And he blew that big time with his first time fix. He told the owner the team was ready to win. Then last season he said we are as close as we have ever been to fixing the OL. Really, what happened to Hernandez who he said they had a 1st round grade on and what happened to Zeitler?

I believe I am fair with Gettlemen. He did do what is in the best interest of the Giants as he said he would when it came to moving down with 2 # 1, 3 and 4 picks next year. I just wish somebody else was making the picks

Here’s the current list of O - Lineman on the Giants Roster:

Zach Fulton 30 with 8 years experience
Nick Gates 25 with 4 years experience
Hernandez 25 with 4 years experience
Shane Lemieux 23 with i year experience
Matt Peart 23 with 1 year experience
Chad Slade 28 with 3 years experience
Solder 33 with 10 years experience
Andrew Thomas 22 with 1 year experience
Ken Wiggins 32 with 8 years experience

I keep asking myself if that’s an O-Line that’s good enough to protect Jones , allow the Giants to use their improved offensive weapons and win the NFC East and right now my answer is no. If Gates, Hernandez , Lemieux , Peart and Thomas make significant improvement and Solder and Fulton play well then there is a chance for the Giants to win the NFC East but they need stability from the O- Line coaches from day 1 of the coming season and avoid the turmoil that existed last season as part of improving the O- Line play.
Agree 100% they need stability in coaching. Also agree they missed big on O lineman in past drafts and even last year they should have taken 3 other guys instead of Thomas.

With that said you can coach these guys up and they can come together hopefully (no guarantees with high picks as well - see Erick Flowers). In 2007 and 2011 we had great O lines with very few high picks (Snee and Will Beatty - 2nd rounders). Other guys just got better at their craft like Diehl (5th round) and McKenzie (late third round) and Rich Seubert (undrafted free agent) and Petrus (5th round).

I bet the long-term plan internally is to win in a year or two even though no one will ever admit that outside of the walls so they are looking to build this team and win a few more games each year and manage the cap. Right now we have Thomas (first round), Hernandez (2nd round), Matt Peart (3rd round), Shane Lemieux (5th round), Nate Solder (free agent signed originally 1st round pick), Nick Gates (free agent). Probably more draft capital than our Super Bowl years. Those guys will probably provide 5 of our starters with Fulton possibly taking one spot too if Hernandez doesn't work out. That is a lot of draft capital and free agent money invested and Getty picked or picked up those guys. Even though they didn't grab an O lineman in the draft doesn't mean these guys can't come together as a line. Hopefully they do and don't forget when you are a GM or HC you are not going to admit within a year that these guys can't get the job done. They say they saw enough progress with the young guys that they want to still develop them. I hope they are right but I also see their POV in that they can't keep throwing draft picks at guys if they think the value isn't there. The 2022 draft is supposed to have much more line talent than this one did so maybe they had their eye on certain guys and they were gone?

We will know with Rashawn Slater in a year or so if that was a miss but getting a future #1 and Toney vs. Slater will be an interesting comparison to look at in a few years. I think the line is going to be better especially with Solder playing either RT or RG. Getting a little experience on that right side will help. Gates did better than I thought at center but he could move back to guard too potentially. Thomas has to show up and play better. Every team needs a solid LT but no way will they give up on him this early. Should be interesting. I see the Giants side and I see the fans side on this one. Frustrating to see how many years in a row the O line has not performed well. Hoping they got it right.

Extra picks in the draft , especially in the first , second and third round are valuable , but they have to result in getting quality players in each of those rounds with those picks. The most recent draft where the Giants had multiple first round picks was the 2019 draft when the Giants had 3 picks in the first round and used it on Jones , with the sixth overall pick , then Dexter Lawrence with the 17th pick and then of course Deandre Baker with the 30 pick and we all know how that turned out. Lawrence has been more then solid and the jury is still out on Jones but hopefully this year will validate his pick as the Giants franchise QB.

Extra picks in the draft , especially in the first , second and third round are valuable , but they have to result in getting quality players in each of those rounds with those picks. The most recent draft where the Giants had multiple first round picks was the 2019 draft when the Giants had 3 picks in the first round and used it on Jones , with the sixth overall pick , then Dexter Lawrence with the 17th pick and then of course Deandre Baker with the 30 pick and we all know how that turned out. Lawrence has been more then solid and the jury is still out on Jones but hopefully this year will validate his pick as the Giants franchise QB.
Yup! Baker - total bust and they gave up picks to move into the first round to get him. Wasted pick. Jones - fast, hard worker, has the talent but the jury is out. With more talent this year we should know what his future holds. Dex - big success but you won't see it in the headlines because he's a DT. Third highest rated second year defender. Great pick. So 1 out of 3 so far could get 2 out of 3 at best.

With Judge at the helm it will be interesting to see if Getty's picks got better in a year or two. Judge's influence paired with better coaching could make all these picks look better. I'm really interested in seeing the combination of watching Rashawn Slater (did we miss badly with him?), Giants O-line performance (improving or not?) and Toney's affect on our offense (can Garrett work him in and can Jones execute with more weapons).

It was a mistake IMO. In the last 6 games the Giants allowed 22 sacks (almost 4 per game). They scored an average of 14 points per game in the last 6 games. That is not progress. Columbo was actually making progress with this group but he was hard headed too. Deglugliemo is a controversial guy with a reputation who has not lasted very long at any of his stops. He was successful at the Giants in a previous stint but under guess who Pat Flaherty. The Giants O lineman did not like the fact that he tried to change their technique in mid-season and complained to Judge about it. Not a smart coaching move by Degugliamo to try and change their technique drastically midseason and a mistake by Judge to bring him in IMO. He was in such high demand from other NFL teams over the winter that he is now the line coach at Louisiana Tech.

Last 4 game wasn't Jones less than 100% and McCoy played at least 1 of those games entirely? I can't fault the line with that. The rushing numbers is what I was referring to.

Last 4 game wasn't Jones less than 100% and McCoy played at least 1 of those games entirely? I can't fault the line with that. The rushing numbers is what I was referring to.
Yes good point. And because of Jones health they had to rush the ball because they couldn't protect long enough to get the ball out. Improvement running but definitely not in pass protection. The fact remained the same that the new coach was not popular and Judge had a problem that he created by going at it with Columbo. Good news is it appears Judge learned his lesson and he's got a good young coach in there being mentored by one of the best which should help the O line long-term. If that was the biggest growing pains we had to endure with a young HC, I'll take it.

Reactions: flconticello
Yes good point. And because of Jones health they had to rush the ball because they couldn't protect long enough to get the ball out. Improvement running but definitely not in pass protection. The fact remained the same that the new coach was not popular and Judge had a problem that he created by going at it with Columbo. Good news is it appears Judge learned his lesson and he's got a good young coach in there being mentored by one of the best which should help the O line long-term. If that was the biggest growing pains we had to endure with a young HC, I'll take it.
Agreed. I am optimistic about the line this year. Soldier looked good with good coaching in NE. I think they'll be much improved and with the talent at the skill positions the ball will be able to come out quicker. Even when Jones had time last year it seemed that the receivers had zero separation and he was often forced to throw into tight windows. Our receivers were below average last season. Sheppard will be pushed by Toney this year. Slayton was never a #1 and should improve having Galloday likely now drawing the double and SB coming out of the backfield. If only Engram learns to catch we're in business.

Agreed. I am optimistic about the line this year. Soldier looked good with good coaching in NE. I think they'll be much improved and with the talent at the skill positions the ball will be able to come out quicker. Even when Jones had time last year it seemed that the receivers had zero separation and he was often forced to throw into tight windows. Our receivers were below average last season. Sheppard will be pushed by Toney this year. Slayton was never a #1 and should improve having Galloday likely now drawing the double and SB coming out of the backfield. If only Engram learns to catch we're in business.
Judge is big on mentoring and learning from vets. I think the Kyle Rudolph deal could turn out great for either Engram or to solidify the position for the Giants. If Rudolph can do either a) mentor Engram a bit to help him improve and become a real pro, or b) knock him out of the way and take over the position and be Jones security blanket, we will be a better team. If he can do both it would probably be too much to ask but a little competition is always a good thing and we have paired Engram with a bunch of journeyman TEs the last few years. Rudolph's presence alone should make Engram worry about his future with the Giants and come ready to play.

They only get A's if Fields & Wilson turn out to be great picks. If either suck that grade goes to a F- in a heartbeat.

Giants are finally on the upswing and have assets for 2022. They’ll have very good depth and competition at WR, TE, DL, and secondary. At LB and edge they have some unproven talent, but potential. We’ll see.

The biggest questions will remain the QB and the OL, however. Golladay, Barkley, Toney, Engram, whatever, mean nothing unless the QB takes the next step and demonstrates he can manage an NFL game properly and stop turning the ball over at a historic rate and that OL shows the young talent is legit. Simple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT