ADVERTISEMENT

NY Giants something happening here?

The Giants are 52-93 (.359) over the past 9 seasons with 8 losing seasons spanning 4 HC’s and 2 GM’s. They are now on their 5th HC and 3rd GM in this 10th season in the wilderness. My God.

Further, they are 22-59 (.271) over the last 5 in seasons in particular, which I believe is the worst mark in the NFL over that span. They haven’t even been a .500 for a single week since 2016, 6 years ago.

I mean, I have no idea what we’re even watching. Almost impossible to make any assessments right now with yet another new regime. Go win some real football games, play competitively. That’s the start.

Closing the talent gap that exists with the Giants roster will not be easy nor accomplished quickly. They have to get it right in the draft especially with their high picks and get lucky and land starters with a couple of their lower round picks as well. Another key element is to correct the problem they’ve had with their cap space and not overpay for the free agents they do sign like Gettleman did with Golloday .
One thing that will help with that last part is the salary cap rose by more than $25 million this season. It is projected to continue to climb by double digit millions for the next several years.

The counter to that, of course, is that salaries across the league will continue to rise.

Reactions: Piratz
Still a significant lack of talent and depth on this team and lots of injuries. I'll believe it when I see it. Winning in this league is hard and right now its impossible to say where the Giants are after watching the 2nd and 3rd teamers.
They do have an incredibly easy schedule…so that’s gotta help.

One thing that will help with that last part is the salary cap rose by more than $25 million this season. It is projected to continue to climb by double digit millions for the next several years.

The counter to that, of course, is that salaries across the league will continue to rise.
And Schoen is doing the right thing by using this season as the reset.

Let’s not forget that Schoen also cleaned house by replacing many of the scouts and other personnel involved in the talent evaluation departments and we should hopefully see better results with the draft and free agency signings. Still think drafting Robinson with the 43rd pick in round 2 was a mistake because I don’t believe he was a top 50 talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratz
Let’s not forget that Schoen also cleaned house by replacing many of the scouts and other personnel involved in the talent evaluation departments and we should hopefully see better results with the draft and free agency signings. Still think drafting Robinson with the 43rd pick in round 2 was a mistake because I don’t believe he was a top 50 talent.
They get the benefit of the doubt until they reach for a bust. We don’t know what Robinson is yet.

He did that after the draft so you might not see that in Yr 1. Agree on Robinson hopefully we are wrong. Also was upset they traded down instead of getting a solid CB at the top of the 2nd round but it could have been cap reasons?

He did that after the draft so you might not see that in Yr 1. Agree on Robinson hopefully we are wrong. Also was upset they traded down instead of getting a solid CB at the top of the 2nd round but it could have been cap reasons?
Good point on the Giants trading down.

Good point on the Giants trading down.
They had zero cap room. They are still struggling with only 5 million for the remainder of the season. They’re stuck with Galloday who’d been awful because it costs them more to cut him that keep him. They had a choice, trade down on one of the top 10 Picks or trade down later in the draft. I was upset during the draft too that they didn’t draft a strong DB or the safety out of Georgia that feel like a rock.

They had zero cap room. They are still struggling with only 5 million for the remainder of the season. They’re stuck with Galloday who’d been awful because it costs them more to cut him that keep him. They had a choice, trade down on one of the top 10 Picks or trade down later in the draft. I was upset during the draft too that they didn’t draft a strong DB or the safety out of Georgia that feel like a rock.
Spotrac has the Giants cap space at $900,000 for 2022 .

Nothing is happening with Davis Webb as he was cut today. Quincy Roche is another surprise cut as he is better than O Shane Ximines if you ask me. Galloday is a disgrace another bad FA from Gettlemen where he was only bidding against himself. Wandale Robinson was a reach pick for sure he though they did trade back to get him. I don't think much is happening here for a few more seasons I don't think, but hey maybe they can be this year's Bengals!

Nothing is happening with Davis Webb as he was cut today. Quincy Roche is another surprise cut as he is better than O Shane Ximines if you ask me. Galloday is a disgrace another bad FA from Gettlemen where he was only bidding against himself. Wandale Robinson was a reach pick for sure he though they did trade back to get him. I don't think much is happening here for a few more seasons I don't think, but hey maybe they can be this year's Bengals!
Gettlemen put us in a deep hole that we are trying to dig out of. Had to be the worst GM ever in football .

Reece was bad. Somehow Gettlemen was even worse. Not a good track record for roster building and cap management. When GMs are worried about losing their jobs, they sign bad free agents and screw the team with the cap moving forward. Happens time after time and owners let it happen.

Based on what I'm reading I wouldn't be surprised if Webb is brought back. In fact, according to The Athletic, he's almost certain to be back in some capacity.

There are some injured players who had to be on the 53-man before they could be placed on IR and be eligible to play this season. I don't think Daboll convinced Webb to turn down an assistant job with the Bills only to screw him in the end.

Reece was bad. Somehow Gettlemen was even worse. Not a good track record for roster building and cap management. When GMs are worried about losing their jobs, they sign bad free agents and screw the team with the cap moving forward. Happens time after time and owners let it happen.
Not defending Gettleman but he did build a super bowl team in Carolina. He was a disaster here but he’s far from the worst GM ever. Reese won a Super Bowl but he inherited most on the team from Acorsi. He basically added Bradshaw and Boss who never did anything anywhere else.

Reactions: Burnsly
Not defending Gettleman but he did build a super bowl team in Carolina. He was a disaster here but he’s far from the worst GM ever. Reese won a Super Bowl but he inherited most on the team from Acorsi. He basically added Bradshaw and Boss who never did anything anywhere else.
You could say the same about Gettlemen - he inherited many of the players in Carolina too. He was hired in Jan of 2013 and they went to the Super Bowl in 2015. Many of his stars were there before he got there. Cam Newton, Lue Kuechly, Josh Norman, Jonathan Stewart, Greg Olsen, Mike Tolbert and more were all there way before he got there. His success there was improving their O line and in three years helped their salary cap. He was no magician and took over a team with a solid QB at the time who was in the prime of his career.

Reactions: TomD82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT