ADVERTISEMENT

Odds on # of days until Steele is fired

I actually like this for all parties. I hate Mack but he’s a good coach and successful in the Big East. Those football school jobs aren’t all they’re cracked up to be.

His father in law is a big booster, hence why he may survive, but yeah X is nowhere near what they were.

Reactions: dehere23
I know nothing on the subject but damn if I wouldn’t be irate. Huge collapse, tarnishing a brand over the last few years. Terrible performance with Scruggs and other returners.
Scruggs didn’t help there. We talk about some all league kids who just didn’t play as well as some thought they would but were still all league type players. And then there is Scruggs, who went from a preseason all league first team candidate to nothing at all. I said in another thread, might be the single biggest individual player disappointment when you consider his age and how long he’s been in the league.

I actually like this for all parties. I hate Mack but he’s a good coach and successful in the Big East. Those football school jobs aren’t all they’re cracked up to be.
Depends on the coach and job, right? It’s worked out for Holtman, Oats, Musselman etc.

Depends on the coach and job, right? It’s worked out for Holtman, Oats, Musselman etc.
Not saying it’s impossible. But for Oats and Musselman, they hardly left a Cush job in a major conference making good coin.

No doubt. It was an easy move for them.

If you asked Mack honestly he probably regrets it. He was getting paid well at X. Is from the area I believe. He was able to get teams there that were dance-locks and could make real deep runs in the right year.

I know nothing on the subject but damn if I wouldn’t be irate. Huge collapse, tarnishing a brand over the last few years. Terrible performance with Scruggs and other returners.

Serious question here. How would you feel about bringing Ewing back for another year?

If he blows out Cleveland State all is forgiven.
Nephew is an X alum and big fan: says they'd take Mack back in a NY minute.

Iona-Florida will be a good NIT tilt to watch.

Personally I would. He’s shown he can get players there. Retention has been the problem. He’s a first time HC so the 5-year period is fair to evaluate him, but he did make the NCAA last season. If it was a different guy I’d definitely move on. But what he means to the school and the league generally would cause me to give him another year. Plus at this point there isn’t an obvious candidate to replace him, at least I haven’t heard one. But I would tell him he needs to keep his kids around and kill it on the transfer front. Because he has as short a leash as possible Re: next season.

Agree. That's why I don't believe in legacy hires. Too hard to get rid of them at the appropriate time when things go south.

Reactions: dehere23
Agree. That's why I don't believe in legacy hires. Too hard to get rid of them at the appropriate time when things go south.
Especially when legacies are like him. There are legacies like Sha or even John Sheyer; and then there is the rare Ewing category.

According to Mack, he is taking next season off from coaching to continue enjoying the time left with his girls before they get too told (HS age or almost I believe). Said this after the Louisville debacle. For what its worth of course.

He also may be kryptonite atm until everything settles down with all the corruption he was involved with at Louisville.

Well, if you think about it, he certainly can’t do any worse in conference than he did this year! They can only go up from here!

According to Mack, he is taking next season off from coaching to continue enjoying the time left with his girls before they get too told (HS age or almost I believe). Said this after the Louisville debacle. For what its worth of course.

He also may be kryptonite atm until everything settles down with all the corruption he was involved with at Louisville.
I wouldn’t be surprised if LSU made a run at Mack since he has experience cleaning up NCAA sanctions mess. He just didn’t win enough to stay there. He won’t win enough at LSU either but he can get paid quite a bit for another 4 and out, even more than at UL. Good for him if he’s serious about taking a year off for family time but the crazy SEC money is hard to turn down.

Xavier has tons of talent.....I could win with that team and I would be a terrible coach.

He should be fired in 3 weeks.

And to add more pressure [to him] Xavier is picked by a lot to beat Cleveland State: about 14 points?

29-28 Xavier up 1 at he half at home vs Cleveland state. If they lose, it may be tomorrow.

Reactions: LBP43
29-28 Xavier up 1 at he half at home vs Cleveland state. If they lose, it may be tomorrow.
I like Steel but no way should a Big East Team trail this Cleveland State group - Not only embarrassing to Fans at Cintras but for the Big East

They survived a squeaker. Had they not, the announcement would have come this week. Attendance conveniently listed as NA.

Note to Kevin Willard.

I like Steel but no way should a Big East Team trail this Cleveland State group - Not only embarrassing to Fans at Cintras but for the Big East
Not unusual for a team on that kind of a streak. Think of teams that were left out of the dance and expected to get in and then mailed it in for the NIT.
Not defending just saying not surprised. It’s actually a small accolade that they in fact did hold in to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT