ADVERTISEMENT

"Offers...." ?

MBF72

All World
Sep 15, 2003
I have some questions about this.

If we "offer" a prospective player, and he accepts, are we committed to him?

It seems as if we have more offers out at any one time than actual scholarships available? Is that accurate? Is it possible for more kids to accept our offers than spots we have open?

How does a school rescind an offer?

When Gordon committed to us late, I thought he had offers from IU and other big Midwestern schools, yet did he end up with us. Someone said those offers were given after his sophomore year, but taken off the table later.

Thanks.

I think school has to accept verbal commitment and if the school is honorable it will continue to honor it not like harbaugh did when he came to Michigan.

I have some questions about this.

If we "offer" a prospective player, and he accepts, are we committed to him?

It seems as if we have more offers out at any one time than actual scholarships available? Is that accurate? Is it possible for more kids to accept our offers than spots we have open?

How does a school rescind an offer?

When Gordon committed to us late, I thought he had offers from IU and other big Midwestern schools, yet did he end up with us. Someone said those offers were given after his sophomore year, but taken off the table later.

Thanks.
Offers come in all shape and sizes. Some come with contingencies others for imm approval.

Most schools offer 30, 40, 50 'ships knowing they have but a few to give out.

Reactions: statenman
I think school has to accept verbal commitment and if the school is honorable it will continue to honor it not like harbaugh did when he came to Michigan.
An offer is for the player to know that the school is interested in him.It's not more than that. Nothing is binding and a coach isn't obligated to have to accept a verbal. We had a kid who was offered, I'll assume, on an official visit last week, who from what I've read wanted to verbal to the coach, and it wasn't accepted. Nothing wrong with this, as I'm sure this happens all the time.

Reactions: Section112
Most of them ----if schools offer 30 or 40---- seem similar to a high school senior getting deferred from a college. The college says we want you, but only if the people really want don't choose us.

I appreciate the clarification. I thought they were bigger deals than they obviously are.

Like dating 10 women at once and figuring out which one is worthy of marrying.

It's similar to that Seinfeld episode with the rental car. "You take the reservation but you don't always hold the reservation. "

Reactions: Bluebeard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT