ADVERTISEMENT

Online Trivia League @Shu09

SHUSA

All World
Jan 10, 2013
how on earth do you direct message on this platform? you can give me an email if youre comfortable. or take a 4 year web development course to crack this puzzle.

i will just give some details to this league.

Its called Learned League: https://www.learnedleague.com/

Some microsoft employee created this online trivia league and eventually quit to run it full time. There are hundreds of people in this league, some are even overseas. Some famous people have been in it too. There are four seasons in a year. about 2 months on and one month off. During the off months they still have some fun things. You are assigned a "rundle" which is a sub division within dozens of super division branches. There are around 30 or so people in your rundle. it changes every season as more people keep joining.

Each day during the season you play one of the people in your rundle head to head. You get 6 questions that are of various categories and difficulty. some days hard, other days easy. some days favor old people some days younger people. You must answer each question and assign points based on what you think the opponent will answer: 0,1,1,2,2,3. The zero you would want to assign to the easiest question, and the 3 to the hardest. When the results come out the next morning you hope you ended up scoring more points than the opponent. sometimes you can win answering only one question if they give you the 3. This league keeps data on EVERYTHING. Each question is tagged as a category and you can see your opponents historical numbers for each category. Rookies with no data are obviously harder to score. When you score the opponent you have to take into account how hard you think the question is, and what your opponents historical accuracy is. its pretty fun.

After the season if you place in promotion (top 3/4) you move up to a harder rundle in your division branch. if you are in the bottom you get relegated to the easier rundle. Rookies are placed in a rookie rundle and placed after their first season. sometimes you get placed above your weight class in the beginning. After your first year its $25 every year to play. its simply for fun. theres no glory or money to win. so if you arent looking for something fun to wake up to every morning maybe its not for you. i happen to think its great and i have something fun to talk about with my dad each day. because of this its all honor system. you could easily cheat but whats the point. its really fun when you nail a guess.

One rule : NO FORFEITS. ok, you can forfeit but its a bad look if you forfeit a bunch. and would make me look bad for referring you. Forfeit is when you dont submit that day you have basically till midnight to submit. You lose points for the match if you forfeit (i think its like 3 for winning and 1 for tie). I usually forget to submit once or twice a season. its not the end of the world but can be devastating to your relegation prospects (i never am close to being promoted lol)

The offseason has minileagues and one days. Mini leagues and one days are submitted by players and approved if good enough. They are all themed. A one day is 12 questions with 5 you designate as "money" questions. extra points. Minileagues are also themed and go for a week or two. People that participate in these are usually really good.

Right now it looks like theres a wait list. this is the first season theyve had a waitlist so it might not be that long a wait.

Here is an example of one of my games this season.

12lN9sy.png

And here is the data you get to help score your opponent

WhysOmy.png

Reactions: shu09
in that game above my opponent definitely paid too much attention to my historical stats, as im pretty terrible in literature. it trumped looking at the difficulty of the question itself.

even i know how that poem goes.

How do they guard against cheating? Anyone can look up anything on the internet these days.

How do they guard against cheating? Anyone can look up anything on the internet these days.
these people dont cheat. theres no reason to. only honorable trivia nerds even know about this league.

plus i find the most value trying to answer trivia every day as opposed to being promoted to a level where i get hammered every day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT