ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions

Ok, so then doesn't it have the potential to be a pretty solid hire given the parameters he may be dealing with??

Read the Trove
Of course it has potential to be good. I wasn't implying that it is destined to fail. I just meant I would prefer to have an ace recruiter with NY/NJ ties than someone with DC ties, because I think that is a more realistic path to success for us. That's all.

Also, regarding Smyth last I heard he was heading with Sha - things may have changed?

Of course it has potential to be good. I wasn't implying that it is destined to fail. I just meant I would prefer to have an ace recruiter with NY/NJ ties than someone with DC ties, because I think that is a more realistic path to success for us. That's all.

Also, regarding Smyth last I heard he was heading with Sha - things may have changed?

Why can’t we have both . I see no barrier to our having quality assistants with ties to different recruiting areas , something by the way that exists with a large number of programs . I have yet to understand why anyone would think that we couldn’t have at least two of our assistants who could be quality recruiters with each having ties to different areas.

Reactions: Piratz and shu09
Why can’t we have both . I see no barrier to our having quality assistants with ties to different recruiting areas , something by the way that exists with a large number of programs . I have yet to understand why anyone would think that we couldn’t have at least two of our assistants who could be quality recruiters with each having ties to different areas.
Bingo and how many kids want to go away to school - lots of them. We lose so many kids from this area because they want to go away. Having someone tight with another area is a great thing and they can spend time and get introduced to the AAU programs in this area too.

Reactions: shu09
You’re missing the point. We don’t have both. That’s the issue/concern. No one is saying you can’t have a recruiter with ties to DC. The problem is we currently don’t have an assistant (i.e. recruiter) on the staff with quality connections in NY/NJ. Hill burned bridges apparently and while Grant is a very good coach for big men he is not strong as a recruiter.

I like it. I like that coach seems to gave gotten his first choice. I think Tony will quickly ingratiate himself in the local scene as well as working the dc area. How many bases? I dont care. Terrific hire.

Right on 75. You nailed it.

Reactions: SnakeTom
Excellent hire. Young, aggressive, charismatic, successful point guard on a FF team, deep connections to DMV, a guy on the way up, what’s not to like? Does anyone really think he won’t be able to develop necessary relationships in NJ/NY given some time?

Excellent hire. Young, aggressive, charismatic, successful point guard on a FF team, deep connections to DMV, a guy on the way up, what’s not to like? Does anyone really think he won’t be able to develop necessary relationships in NJ/NY given some time?
Agreed. Willard, Hill and Grant know everyone in the NJ/NYC area and will make the intros to Skinn. If Skinn’s personality, work ethic and ability to connect with kids is as good as we hope, he will build local relationships. That said, I still wish they find a way to add MTE or someone else with ties to a local AAU team.

Reactions: Section112
I like the hire. Due to budget, SH has to be able to identify and hire young up and coming coaches before they become successful at the high D-1 level. From what I can gather, Skinn seems similar to Sha and Tommy Amaker when they were coming up.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

Well said
I really like this hire.

Also, no reason we cannot get quality DMV kids to go here. For as many kids from the NY/NJ area that want to go away, there are kids from elsewhere that want to come to the NYC area, and we are in the NYC area.

One of the things that Lavin showed at St. John's is that you can get really quality kids to leave other parts of the country to come to the NYC area. Think of how many solid players he got from the Midwest to come to Queens - Pointer, Harrison, Sampson are a few that come to mind. Granted actually being in NYC and the Garden is a bit different, but no reason we cannot sell where are either. Already have Cale from Delaware.

Well said
I really like this hire.

You’re missing the point. We don’t have both. That’s the issue/concern. No one is saying you can’t have a recruiter with ties to DC. The problem is we currently don’t have an assistant (i.e. recruiter) on the staff with quality connections in NY/NJ. Hill burned bridges apparently and while Grant is a very good coach for big men he is not strong as a recruiter.
You don’t think Coach Willard knows anyone in NY and NJ after being here for 8 years? You don’t think his rep of treating kids well and developing them and getting them their degrees means anything to all the coaches and programs he knows in NJ and NY? Do you think Shaheen was the only one who knew any local coaches? Do you think Coach Hill and Grant don’t know anyone in NY and NJ? Give a little credit to the other coaches we have on staff and our HC. I’ve been with Kevin before and he’s been on the phone constantly talking to his NY and NJ contacts. No one loves Coach Holloway more than me but he wasn’t our only local recruiter. Coach Willard talks to them all the time. Our rep is good with the locals with or without Sha and improving everyday.

As I thought some more about this hire and read all the opinions and comments posted here one thing struck me and that was that this hire was really outside the box thinking by Kevin and that’s a really good thing to see. I think that most people thought that one of the names familiar to us with ties to and experience recruiting the NJ / NY area would be the one hired to replace Sha and it’s a sign that Kevin continues to grow and evolve as a coach by going in a direction that was unexpected.

You don’t think Coach Willard knows anyone in NY and NJ after being here for 8 years? You don’t think his rep of treating kids well and developing them and getting them their degrees means anything to all the coaches and programs he knows in NJ and NY? Do you think Shaheen was the only one who knew any local coaches? Do you think Coach Hill and Grant don’t know anyone in NY and NJ? Give a little credit to the other coaches we have on staff and our HC. I’ve been with Kevin before and he’s been on the phone constantly talking to his NY and NJ contacts. No one loves Coach Holloway more than me but he wasn’t our only local recruiter. Coach Willard talks to them all the time. Our rep is good with the locals with or without Sha and improving everyday.
This is my last post on the subject. The primary role of the assistant is to recruit, and there is a major difference between knowing people and having good relationships with people / being able to recruit. No, I do do not think Hill or Grant are good recruiters. I have been told by someone who is as close to the local recruiting scene as humanly possible and they told me “Hill and Grant add little to zero value in terms of recruiting”.

B.S. Sobo your posts are old, someone as close to the recruiting scene? Go read the Trove, wait your not a member.

Promise it is your last post on the subject. (5 posts already)

This is my last post on the subject. The primary role of the assistant is to recruit, and there is a major difference between knowing people and having good relationships with people / being able to recruit. No, I do do not think Hill or Grant are good recruiters. I have been told by someone who is as close to the local recruiting scene as humanly possible and they told me “Hill and Grant add little to zero value in terms of recruiting”.
It is really necessary to attack two Seton Hall assistant coaches in that manner on a free forum? I am not going to get into a debate on this thread whether the person you spoke to really said those things and if his words carry any weight. That's not the point. The point is you feel the need to share some anonymous quotes in the fashion you did using their names but not yours or your source's.

Uncalled for!

I like the hire. I think Fred is here because he can't get anything better.

Maybe, but I'm not sure about that. It seems that Freddie was kind of foisted on Willard when recruiting was faltering. Now that Willard has had some success and much more job security, why wouldn't he part ways with FHJ, if he brings nothing to the table?

Maybe, but I'm not sure about that. It seems that Freddie was kind of foisted on Willard when recruiting was faltering. Now that Willard has had some success and much more job security, why wouldn't he part ways with FHJ, if he brings nothing to the table?

This. Up to Fred now to produce.

How did Fred burn bridges? Certainly after his 2002-03 class Rosario, Echenique, Sina etc. have been a fall off but wasn't he responsible for Nzei here?He has not problem going into NJ NY and how we have a coach that will go into DC & Baltimore.

Reactions: SnakeTom
It is really necessary to attack two Seton Hall assistant coaches in that manner on a free forum? I am not going to get into a debate on this thread whether the person you spoke to really said those things and if his words carry any weight. That's not the point. The point is you feel the need to share some anonymous quotes in the fashion you did using their names but not yours or your source's.

Uncalled for!
BIngo!!!

I don't like the Billmeier bashing. He's not the greatest recruiter out there but he's starting to spread his wings out on the recruiting trail, he looks to be a pretty good big man coach, and he's just a super guy personally.

I was always hard on him as a player, never thought he was very good but I'm proud of the Seton Hall man/coach he's become. (You know I don't say that about too many people!!!)

Dan feel free to delete those posts if you don’t want that info on the free board. Intentions were not to rock the boat, just sharing what I was told.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I have inside sources that are well connected in AAU circles who have told me to expect Seton Hall to be bringing in some very good recruits in the future.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I think what people sometimes forget when talking about a new assistant’s connection to HS / AAU programs is that he may also have ties to players he recruited, who went elsewhere and are now looking to transfer. Since we all recognize how important the transfer pool has became it does give us the potential to recruit players that we had no previous connection to .

What I have read about Coach Skinn is that he is a fast learner, a great motivator and will leverage his connections wherever he goes. NY/NJ has a limited number of kids he needs to get close to. It sounds like he is not just going to be a DMV recruiter but will quickly get the lay of the land. I would love it if we could bring in MTE too, but that will be up to Kevin and Fred as to the long term outlook. As per Grant, I am with SPK. He has come a long way and is making a name for himself not only as a big man coach, but as someone these kids can relate to. I don’t know how many posts I have read from recruits that say they really love him. It’s about relationships. We have three years of tournaments under our belts and I think this team is really going to positively surprise some people.

Reactions: lokiSHU and Flnj86
Amen. I'll take a guy like him over the Tiny's or Antigua's of the world any day of the week. No reason we have to get in bed with those types to get solid players here.

I don't like the Billmeier bashing. He's not the greatest recruiter out there but he's starting to spread his wings out on the recruiting trail, he looks to be a pretty good big man coach, and he's just a super guy personally.

I was always hard on him as a player, never thought he was very good but I'm proud of the Seton Hall man/coach he's become. (You know I don't say that about too many people!!!)

Dan feel free to delete those posts if you don’t want that info on the free board. Intentions were not to rock the boat, just sharing what I was told.
There is no need to share EVERY SINGLE thing on a free site that is heard or said by somebody when it's that vicious in nature.

That was my point and it serves a purpose now to keep it up as a warning to others to use common sense when you want to share information on a message board.

It wasn't "vicious." It was information the poster was told. Fair game for any message board. I don't know if it's true or not, that's up to SOBO to decide and make clear. But if it is, the truth is not always positive. I have no dog in this fight, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when you go after a poster (who has a long track record on this site) for sharing information that he's heard. This isn't a new poster saying this in his first or second post. This is a poster who has been around the block. You as a moderator should know that and respond accordingly. It's disappointing that you didn't.

I for one appreciate different perspectives. This is not a site to push information that only the Seton Hall coaching staff wants discussed. This is a site for fans to discuss the program and that includes both positive and negative information. God forbid someone disagrees with the company line and actually has information to back up his opinion!

Grant and Fred are big boys who make good money to produce. They can handle a little criticism on a message board. A poster sharing what he's heard is no different than you sharing what you've heard, although I realize yours will always have a positive spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: newshu1
Lol agree with SHU09 at times this board seems like it is being run by the Iranian government with censorship and only positive things allowed to be discussed. I think negative opinion and thoughts should be welcomed as well. The purpose of a message board is to share opinions, thoughts etc and not to spread propoganda and suppress any and all negative posts.

Actually has information to back up his opinion. Are you joking? What proof, give me actual facts!

Last edited:
Lol agree with SHU09 at times this board seems like it is being run by the Iranian government with censorship and only positive things allowed to be discussed. I think negative opinion and thoughts should be welcomed as well. The purpose of a message board is to share opinions, thoughts etc and not to spread propoganda and suppress any and all negative posts.
I run the board and take offense to your comment. Most everything posted here stays here and those that do not agree have a chance for rebuttal.

That said posters at times go over the line and instead of their opinions being deleted they are challenged and in this case strongly challenged.

Wording is crucial when a poster wants to discredit our coaching staff or players. And in this case noting that Hill and Billmeier add "little to zero value in terms of recruiting” is not only unnecessarily inflammatory but also untrue.

In the last year Billmeier has brought in Manuel and Mamukelashvili as well as being the lead recruiter for 4 star Aundre Hyatt. And Hill has brought in possibly our most talented player next season in Myles Cale.

That said posters at times go over the line and instead of their opinions being deleted they are challenged and in this case strongly challenged.

Wording is crucial when a poster wants to discredit our coaching staff or players. And in this case noting that Hill and Billmeier add "little to zero value in terms of recruiting” is not only unnecessarily inflammatory but also untrue.

In the last year Billmeier has brought in Manuel and Mamukelashvili as well as being the lead recruiter for 4 star Aundre Hyatt. And Hill has brought in possibly our most talented player next season in Myles Cale.

This.

Dan I’m not looking to get into a debate with you. I have a ton of respect for all the work you put in here, but I would like to clear the air and explain myself a bit. I’m a diehard just like everyone. I would never intentionally put out false info. This was something I was told by someone I respect and shared it here. No mal intent. Please note my posts were in reference to the importance of strong local recruiting ties in NY/NJ. So the fact that Hill successfully recruited Cale from Delaware doesn’t necessarily discredit the info I was told about him. To my knowledge Hill hasn’t recruited a kid from NJ/NY in 4+ years (Sonogo). Which is shocking becuse this guy was a stud recruiter 10 years ago. He had some of the best, if not the best relationships in the state.

The intent of my post was never to be a vicious attack. When you started the thread asking for opinions all I meant was I think our number 1 priority should be to have strong local recruiting ties in NJ/NY, and I was told that that was not the strong suit of the current staff. So I would have liked to seen that addressed with the new hire.

Last edited:
I'm not as happy about this hire as majority of the board is.

Replacing our primary local recruiter with an unproven assistant from the DC area. SHU's lifeline is the NY/NJ area, not DC, and we currently don't have anyone on the staff with a strong recruiting presence in our area.

To me it's a big risk to replace our Associate Head Coach with someone who has zero experience recruiting at the high major level / no local ties.
I don't know yet if he is a home run, triple, double, or single. He hasn't done anything yet. Hope for the best, and let's see what he can do.

Their are really only two ways to view this hire or any hire that is made to a coaching staff. One is that you hire someone with a proven record of success over a meaningful period of time or you're hiring someone who has the potential to be an outstanding assistant based on what he has demonstrated over a much shorter time period. Tony falls into the latter category yet from what we've heard or read about him you have to be optimistic that he was a really good hire and that this program will benefit from his being on the staff.

Reactions: Belluno
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT