ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 3 Round NBA Draft

JRSlim2284

All World
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2005

Before this devolves into a will he/he won't get drafted discussion, this was inevitable. There's going to be a bunch of players who are bound for a two way deal now getting a potentially better deal. There's also going to be even more guys declaring for the draft. The endgame is to facilitate more deals with more time between picks. I can easily see this expanding to a 3rd round

Interesting times ahead

Before this devolves into a will he/he won't get drafted discussion, this was inevitable. There's going to be a bunch of players who are bound for a two way deal now getting a potentially better deal. There's also going to be even more guys declaring for the draft. The endgame is to facilitate more deals with more time between picks. I can easily see this expanding to a 3rd round

Interesting times ahead
Interesting.

I wonder if this ultimately means changes for the G League model as well. Every team but Phoenix now has a dedicated affiliate.

Is this a precursor to teams having 25 + players under control with more ability to move players back and forth?

I think NBA rosters have 13 active players for game time + 2 slots for inactives. Thinking off the top of my head, why not have up to 5 (1 for each position, in theory) extra between two way deals and lower picks/UFAs? This is a league that once had 10(!) rounds with less teams

Reactions: PirateFan94
I think NBA rosters have 13 active players for game time + 2 slots for inactives. Thinking off the top of my head, why not have up to 5 (1 for each position, in theory) extra between two way deals and lower picks/UFAs? This is a league that once had 10(!) rounds with less teams
I believe it's 17 roster spots (including two 2-way players) with up to 15 active for each game. Last night the Knicks and Spurs each used 14 players with one DNP.

My thought is basically each NBA team has an affiliate fully stocked with its own players with the ability to move back and forth as needed. They would also be able to use that affiliate for rehab games for established players if necessary.

The NBAPA should be all for it because in essence roughly 750 players (instead of the current 510) would be under contract at any given time.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Lots say it is better for lower level draftees to not get drafted so they can try out with a team that has more needs. I think their used to be 12 rounds, though a lot less teams. I doubt this is being done to make it easier for more guys to make money

Lots say it is better for lower level draftees to not get drafted so they can try out with a team that has more needs. I think their used to be 12 rounds, though a lot less teams. I doubt this is being done to make it easier for more guys to make money
Agree completely here. This is largely to add a second day of programming inventory to the draft and as mentioned in the article that accompanied the original tweet and the OP's original comments, to allow teams more time to discuss trades.

If JR's hypothesis that a third-round may come along, I think that could serve as a jumping off point to allow the G League teams be true developmental affiliates. Or it could simply be 30 more pieces of trade bait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT