ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anthony DePalma

400SOAVE

All American
Jan 24, 2009
I was shocked to read that SHU has decided to not rehire Anthony DePalma, a truly distinguished alumnus, author, writer and a man who worked as a reporter for 20 years for the New York Times.

I read that he was advising The Setonian for the past three years.

I'm just shaking my head. He also works at Columbia and I wouldn't' be surprised if they grab him full-time.

Guys like this don't grow on trees, and they don't become available very often. What are they going to do for this new school of communication they're hyping, hire somebody with a PhD and no experience as a real journalist? You get what you pay for.

Disclosure: I know DePalma a little bit and know his work well. He has worked as a foreign correspondent and is a braniac. He knows what he's doing and is big asset in a college. (I have not spoken to him in a long time.)

It's a big loss for students who want to become reporters. He's also an expert in Latin America history and spend a lot of time there for the NYT.

Why did this happen? They need to call him and say it's all a big misunderstanding.

Last edited:
The Setonian has really advanced under his guidance. I'm sure there's politics involved - he should remain an advisor no question.

Hey guys I've been browsing this board for a while now and I figured I'd chime in after seeing this post.

I'm currently the Assistant Sports Editor at The Setonian and it's disappointing that ADP is leaving. This is going to be my first year working in this position, so I never got to work with him directly, but I've heard nothing but good things about him from others on the editorial board.

The quality of the paper has notably improved in his time as the advisor and it is a shame that he cannot be retained in some capacity. For those who are wondering, we have no idea who the next advisor will be.

Reactions: Seton75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT