ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Barkley Calls NFL Greedy Pigs

Nearly every person and entity in professional (and college) sports are greedy pigs these days. This includes Charles Barkley, who makes 8 figures a year doing a studio show. I love Charles too, but let's call a spade a spade.

Reactions: TomWall
Nearly every person and entity in professional (and college) sports are greedy pigs these days. This includes Charles Barkley, who makes 8 figures a year doing a studio show. I love Charles too, but let's call a spade a spade.
So the agency that reps charles should lower the valuation of his brand? Hey WBD thanks for this offer but actually we would like to do it for half of that.

I love Charles! And he’s right. I’d like to see the game but I refuse to subscribe to Peacock. Greedy F’n Pigs is what they are.
And if an Apple or an Amazon went to the Big East and said don't sign back with FOX because we are willing to offer you X plus per school the league should say no even if access to games would be paywalled more than they are now?

May 1990:

The Big East Conference yesterday agreed to a four-year, $19.2 million deal that will extend CBS's exclusive network coverage of the league through 1995.

The Big East deal, adjusted for inflation, is almost identical in terms of rights fees to the one-year, $1.9 million contract the Atlantic Coast Conference closed with CBS a day earlier. That deal, along with the final year of the current Big East contract, means those two conferences will comprise almost 60 percent of CBS's regular season broadcasts next season.

CBS is planning on 29 games -- meaning a possibility of 58 appearances -- before it begins exclusive coverage of the NCAA Division I men's tournament under a seven-year, $1 billion contract. The Big East has 22 appearances next season and the ACC 11, leaving a total of 25 appearances for the rest of the country. CBS negotiator Len DeLuca said the network also has one-year deals for four Louisville appearances, at least two appearances by national champion UNLV and two appearances by Notre Dame.

I actually like Barkley even though I don’t agree with him often. Not afraid to share his opinion even if not popular or politically correct.

All sports media is about optimizing the dollar (like any industry). This is a test to see how elastic demand is. And if the trade off supports more $$$, you will certainly see more of it. They don’t care about “fans”; only paying eyeballs.

Reactions: Seton75 and TomWall
Was it the NFL's call? If NBC purchased the rights to the game and THEY decided to move this to Peacock, that's their choice, not the NFL's call.

Big difference as I see it. Charles collecting market wages compared to forcing fans to subscribe to see a playoff game.

They have a right to try it. It’s called Capitalism. We have the right to refuse it. I did. Loved going to Old Yankee Stadium. Now I drive by the new one.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Rodger Göodell , the NFL commissioner earns $64 million a year and he is paid that salary because he continues to find ways to increase revenues and increase the value of a franchise and the future will see more deals like the one discussed on this thread. We’ll see more games outside the US and ultimately a foreign based franchise and more streaming deals and It is all about the money.

Reactions: Piratz
Rodger Göodell , the NFL commissioner earns $64 million a year and he is paid that salary because he continues to find ways to increase revenues and increase the value of a franchise and the future will see more deals like the one discussed on this thread. We’ll see more games outside the US and ultimately a foreign based franchise and more streaming deals and It is all about the money.
Welcome to the non profit NFL

• Haha
Reactions: Piratz
Speaking of NFL, I expect Cowboys to win today, but remarkable Green Bay back in postseason in Jordan Love’s first season as one of the top two QB’s in NFC. Packers on their third consecutive generational quarterback. Amazing.

I wonder how Charles will feel when the next NBA TV contract will likely include a streaming option whether it be MAX, Peacock, Apple, Amazon or somebody else. If that deal doesn't include exclusive streaming rights for playoff games, it will be more about the lack of demand for it than the NBA's desire not to do so.

Funny, we've been paying for sports on TV for more than 40 years now. ESPN fostered the Big East's massive growth. The NFL is the only major pro sports league that airs the majority of its games on regular free TV. Over the course of a season, I can probably watch more NFL games on free TV than I can NBA -- and that's with a fifth of the inventory. I can't watch Charles unless I subscribe to TNT.

Yet, this a bridge too far?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT