ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Buzz Williams

Buzz Williams silenced the haters by quickly making VT a tournament team in theee hardest conference

I am a Big Time flag waver and support the National Anthem 100%. I also love how Seton Hall honors our Vets to standing ovations by most of the crowd. The only people I ever see sitting down for the Vets are some of our players families. I sit right behind them and always yell at them to stand up.

You can't force people to do something they do not believe in.

Unfortunately I have been to many BB games all over the state and I am often in gyms where people refused to stand or pay tribute to the flag. I am not in their shoes so I can't judge. But it does saddens me that we just cannot all get along.

RESPECT........ that's what it's all about. Williams hit the nail on the head and it's a real civics lesson for all to hear and think about.

Reactions: SHUMike
Video was a few years old

It showed up in my inbox this morning and I thought I'd pass it along. I apologize for not determining the age before I did so. Albeit, the articles I now see about it are around March thru August 2016.

Last edited:
I would not say he was reacting to his players dissing the anthem. I believe he was setting the standard and telling his players how it is going to be. I like the message. Class act.

That is how it was conveyed to me when my buddy sent me the video.

I subsequently found this from:

http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/26...ets-to-teach-them-to-respect-national-anthem/

"September 26, 2016 By Bre Payton

Virginia Tech men’s basketball coach Buzz Williams was “fed up” with the way some of his players were acting while the National Anthem was sung or played before games, so he made them come to the court early one Saturday morning last fall to teach them a powerful lesson."

I spent a few years in the Army and I recall every day at 6:00 AM the bugle sounded Reveille and the Flag was raised. At 6:00 PM the bugle sounded Retreat to the Colors while the flag was lowered. They played it over a loudspeaker. If you were driving on Post, you had to stop your car, get out, stand at attention, and salute until the bugle call was finished. I believe that is still done today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishwakeup
That is how it was conveyed to me when my buddy sent me the video.

I subsequently found this from:

http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/26...ets-to-teach-them-to-respect-national-anthem/

"September 26, 2016 By Bre Payton

Virginia Tech men’s basketball coach Buzz Williams was “fed up” with the way some of his players were acting while the National Anthem was sung or played before games, so he made them come to the court early one Saturday morning last fall to teach them a powerful lesson."

I spent a few years in the Army and I recall every day at 6:00 AM the bugle sounded Reveille and the Flag was raised. At 6:00 PM the bugle sounded Retreat to the Colors while the flag was lowered. They played it over a loudspeaker. If you were driving on Post, you had to stop your car, get out, stand at attention, and salute until the bugle call was finished. I believe that is still done today.

Thanks for the information. I was relying on just watching the video and I did not know the entire story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT