ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Calipari 30-for-30

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Anyone catch this last night? I saw part of it. Looked pretty good.

The bit I saw featured Calhoun going after him for trying to say he'd take over New England. Great stuff with Calhoun's NE accent.

The bit I saw featured Calhoun going after him for trying to say he'd take over New England. Great stuff with Calhoun's NE accent.
2 hours, talks about how five star was the building block for him, it is a very polarizing figure

I caught part of it . The part I saw was a rebounding drill and how aggressive Cal was in demanding toughness on the Boards and how he wants his players to rebound. He's more then just a recruiter he's also become a good coach and teacher.

this is on again on espn2 right now

Good documentary but a fluff piece for Cal no doubt. Yet another marketing piece for him.

It was an interesting show although it went light after him. I agree with JTSHU, that Cal did not need any more marketing and this is exactly what it did.

They focused a lot on Camby and Rose and the two situations that left both UMass and Memphis vacated and sanctioned, as well as playing Bobby Knight's line on Calipari with headlines from detractors.

It felt more like puff than not, but they did note these things.

But I think Calipari does have a point here... Doesn't everyone benefit from these one-and-done types or from players working towards an NBA future verses the degree (which will always be there to go back and get)? So what's the problem? Lol

They focused a lot on Camby and Rose and the two situations that left both UMass and Memphis vacated and sanctioned, as well as playing Bobby Knight's line on Calipari with headlines from detractors.

But I think Calipari does have a point here... Doesn't everyone benefit from these one-and-done types or from players working towards an NBA future verses the degree (which will always be there to go back and get)? So what's the problem? Lol
I really don't think it's a problem any more. I think the media and old guy types (Knight/Calhoun - which is simply unbelievable that a guy like Calhoun is calling anyone out on the right and wrong way to run a program; and Knight isn't a saint either). I think it's fine...these guys are majoring in basketball, and that's fine.

the nba rule could care less about the ncaa, camby btw repaid money that umass lost, splitting it in half and putting forth towards academic support....as for the memphis situation, rose sat score was invalidated but hey he got his money so what if 38 wins vanished...i believe it is hard to bring in 4-7 new pieces that are going to play 30 plus minutes a game and succeed enough...remember this the old nets ownership a few times removed gave cal in 96 3 mil per season for 5 years to be head coach and evp of basketball ops/personnel and he was also conned out of drafting kobe bryant and instead drafted kittles who was an above average pro prior to injuries, his roster with the nets was best in season 2 then the work stoppage happened ownership sold nets got off to dreadful start and that was that...i think most impressively he got memphis to 2 straight elite 8s in a league comparable to the wcc before rose arrived and he is very loyally to former players he had at umass having put them on his staffs at memphis

I really don't think it's a problem any more. I think the media and old guy types (Knight/Calhoun - which is simply unbelievable that a guy like Calhoun is calling anyone out on the right and wrong way to run a program; and Knight isn't a saint either). I think it's fine...these guys are majoring in basketball, and that's fine.

Bingo. And it brings in a lot to the university.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT