ADVERTISEMENT

Trove Tidbit

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Jerry Carino Interviewed by Zack Cziryak after attending an SHU practice

What do you attribute that cohesiveness to? Is that simply year two of Sha and his system?

Part of it is the guys who have been around, the three key guys: Dre Davis, Al Dawes and Kadary Richmond. I think that's a big part of it - those are guys who handle the ball a lot. Jaquan Sanders, who looked really good in the practice I saw, is another holdover. And then part of it is Sha, definitely. It's a big deal when an entirely new staff comes in, there's going to be a lot of transition bumps. It does seem like they know more of what Holloway and his staff wants and he's pretty pleased with it. That's the other thing that really strikes me - he's pretty happy with what he's seeing and he's not an easy to please guy. I saw a team that shared the ball and spaced the floor and seemed to really have a better feel for each other offensively. Defensively, they still play hard. I think they're going to miss KC Ndefo. Obviously, he's a national class defensive player. But yeah, the team I saw could be a little better than last year. I think they've taken a step forward. But again, it's one practice. They did look a little more advanced than Rutgers. Rutgers also has a largely new backcourt - I do think that makes a big difference when you see the teams early in the season. I went in with pretty low expectations for Seton Hall based on how last year ended and how much they lost, but I was pleasantly surprised, especially how the backcourt functioned together.

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
Improvement of Jaquan Sanders into a reliable shooter and all-around guard for depth would be a really nice development. Especially when you consider the back-up to Richmond is probably our SG Dawes.

Here's a guy who only played in 22 games with 9 MPG and only shot 12/37 from 3 so there's a ways to go. He only took 47 shots last year, 37 of them 3's.

Who has been our best off the bench 3 pt. shooter since south Jersey's finest, the great Mr. Leahy . When I think of John I hear the collective gasp of the CAA crowd getting ready to cheer as he lined up a shot.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
Improvement of Jaquan Sanders into a reliable shooter and all-around guard for depth would be a really nice development. Especially when you consider the back-up to Richmond is probably our SG Dawes.

Here's a guy who only played in 22 games with 9 MPG and only shot 12/37 from 3 so there's a ways to go. He only took 47 shots last year, 37 of them 3's.
Love that Sanders stayed and committed to improve, rather than jump to another p6 or good mid-major. This is the type of character we need to recruit and build around.

Love that Sanders stayed and committed to improve, rather than jump to another p6 or good mid-major. This is the type of character we need to recruit and build around.
Agreed, perfectly said regarding his character. Not sure he would have been recruited at that level but still very nice to see him come back and commit to getting better instead of just taking the easy way out when he faced some adversity.

Reactions: Piratz and mbraue
Willard’s best trait was keeping kids here, especially the ones he clearly wanted. Yes that was pre-NIL, but the transfer stuff was percolating during the end part of his tenure and he still did a good job at doing this. Let’s hope Sha has the same effect.

I think the floor spacing has the potential to be the biggest positive difference between this year and last. So let’s hope that turns into improved shot making/offense and that those same kids are able to come close to replicating what we lost on the defensive end.

Agreed, perfectly said regarding his character. Not sure he would have been recruited at that level but still very nice to see him come back and commit to getting better instead of just taking the easy way out when he faced some adversity.
If I sat thru the season like Sanders did, finally got a chance, scored 10 and got blasted by my coach in the press for defense, I would be very mad. Blast me in the locker room or tell me good O bad D in a man to man. But that was the bad Shaheen imo. Glad Sanders took it better than I would have.

If I sat thru the season like Sanders did, finally got a chance, scored 10 and got blasted by my coach in the press for defense, I would be very mad. Blast me in the locker room or tell me good O bad D in a man to man. But that was the bad Shaheen imo. Glad Sanders took it better than I would have.
IIRC, that was also the night that Sanders helped spark the bench-clearing incident against Xavier.

I'm not giving Shaheen a pass but I suspect he was angrier with the situation in general (and the blowout loss) than he would normally have been and let that anger slip into his answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT