ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Conference Realignment

SPK145

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Today is the day more dominoes may start to fall. The Florida State trustees are expected to approve a move to challenge the ACC Grant of Rights.

Big East has to find a way to get some of these ACC schools if the conference collapses. Every other power conference is growing and we can't get left behind.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Big East has to find a way to get some of these ACC schools if the conference collapses. Every other power conference is growing and we can't get left behind.
All of the others play football. That’s the difference.

The key is the opposite. Not losing anyone, in case schools like Nova get any crazy offers. If UConn goes because of football, they go.

If the SEC and Big Ten pick off the top schools, the ACC is going to have to reimagine itself as a second tier football conference. Completely different financial model.

Is a BE, and remaining ACC merger enough to keep everybody happy?

Reactions: silkcitypirate
The only way I can see it working with football involved is a 20-team league with FB and non-FB divisions. Move to a 22 gave conference schedule. 18-game round robin in division with 4 cross division games. With ACC teams, it’s geographically doable, UConn crosses over and we remain with the current 10 non-FB. Add 9 ACC football schools. If one school wants to add football (Nova, Georgetown), then add ND for non-FB.

Olympic sports wouldn’t suffer, basketball would have a slightly uneven balance with teams playing a some teams twice and other never, but you could essentially run it like separate conferences within the BE. You’d cross division teams at least once every 3 years.

Not ideal, but it could play out.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Today is the day more dominoes may start to fall. The Florida State trustees are expected to approve a move to challenge the ACC Grant of Rights.
They and every other ACC school has been looking at ways to challenge the GOR over a year. None has found a way. If one were to leave it would cost $120 million plus all the revenue from their remaining ESPN televised games. Probably beyond $200 million in total. Sure they could sue most likely in a Florida state court.

And even if successful, where are they going? SEC has made no signal whatsoever that they are interested and FSU doesn’t meet the B1G’s academic requirements.

Good luck.

Our TV contract will look like Triple A Scranton compared to these other conferences. Grow but keep what you have now

Reactions: shupat08
Keep the BE like it is. Year in and year out we compete with Big 5 teams and do very well. Playing each team twice does not happen in any of these other conferences which is an awesome thing for the BE in basketball.

Let the ACC crumble in football and see what they do - invite other teams or whatever. Don't let the football craziness mess up a really good thing focused on basketball.

Keep the BE like it is. Year in and year out we compete with Big 5 teams and do very well. Playing each team twice does not happen in any of these other conferences which is an awesome thing for the BE in basketball.

Let the ACC crumble in football and see what they do - invite other teams or whatever. Don't let the football craziness mess up a really good thing focused on basketball.
This is the best scenario, but the biggest threat is FB break off from the NCAA and dissolution of the NCAAT in basketball.

This is the best scenario, but the biggest threat is FB break off from the NCAA and dissolution of the NCAAT in basketball.
Agree. I think we are at least 3-5 years away from that scenario if it happens. Should be interesting. I still believe sticking to our identity will serve us best in the long run but who knows. So many schools have made terrible decisions chasing the $ and now have no rivalries and travel like crazy etc. Will the BE Presidents and ADs stand strong or follow the crowd?

Reactions: TheBluePirate
People will follow the money. If the ACC remnants has a better TV deal than the big east, people will move to join it. Best thing for Fox and the big east is to renegotiate the current deal early with a hefty increase (say 75%, which would bring the deal to just over $8 million per school) to make moving to another conference for a partial TV share a less attractive prospect.

Reactions: Piratz
People will follow the money. If the ACC remnants has a better TV deal than the big east, people will move to join it. Best thing for Fox and the big east is to renegotiate the current deal early with a hefty increase (say 75%, which would bring the deal to just over $8 million per school) to make moving to another conference for a partial TV share a less attractive prospect.
The football money will all be in the SEC and Big Ten. The remnants of the ACC, Pac, 10 and even big 12 will be a lot less than what they’re getting now.

Money will obviously drive the bus, but football will move to a two tiered model.

The football money will all be in the SEC and Big Ten. The remnants of the ACC, Pac, 10 and even big 12 will be a lot less than what they’re getting now.

Money will obviously drive the bus, but football will move to a two tiered model.
I agree, at least somewhat. I do think that there is plenty of room between what we make now and what the ACC is making now to find a number that is less than what they currently make, but more than what the big east can reasonably expect to earn.

I agree, at least somewhat. I do think that there is plenty of room between what we make now and what the ACC is making now to find a number that is less than what they currently make, but more than what the big east can reasonably expect to earn.
I would've thought that too, before they got SMU to join for nothing. They get nothing, which is less than the Big East is currently paying out. Of course, UConn offers so much more in basketball, but that isn't the sport that matters in any of this. SMU football is actually pretty good (and with vast potential), and that was all they could leverage from the ACC.

Given that this will all end in 10-12 years with 28 or 32 football programs consolidating their media-rights bargaining, and shedding all the dead football weight, it really might behoove UConn to sit where it is and be god at the thing that butters its bread. The good spots for everything are just about all taken (pending FSU and Clemson and maybe Miami on the move). All that's left after that is culling the herd.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
Best thing for Fox and the big east is to renegotiate the current deal early with a hefty increase (say 75%, which would bring the deal to just over $8 million per school) to make moving to another conference for a partial TV share a less attractive prospect.
That would be a 100% increase. That would be best thing for the Big East but not so sure about being a good thing for Fox.

I would've thought that too, before they got SMU to join for nothing. They get nothing, which is less than the Big East is currently paying out. Of course, UConn offers so much more in basketball, but that isn't the sport that matters in any of this. SMU football is actually pretty good (and with vast potential), and that was all they could leverage from the ACC.
SMU does not get nothing from the ACC, they get nothing from the media revenue only. Media revenue is 72% of total ACC revenues so SMU will still get about $8m from the ACC.

That is my fear. But

1. Is it as popular if the underdogs are eliminated. My wife asked me one time in 38 years about the score of a basketball game, "how did St Peters do yesterday?"
2. Are they the NC without the rest of us in most peoples' eyes
3. Money still talks and if it is tied to P5 fb rights take it or leave it, I guess they will have a taker. And BS walks.

Expansion for the sake of expansion was and is still a bad idea especially for the Big East.

Our TV contract will look like Triple A Scranton compared to these other conferences. Grow but keep what you have now
It already does.

If we add football schools (haven't we already done this before) all that means is we will get 20% of what those schools in our own conference will make.

Reactions: Section112
The only way I can see it working with football involved is a 20-team league with FB and non-FB divisions. Move to a 22 gave conference schedule. 18-game round robin in division with 4 cross division games. With ACC teams, it’s geographically doable, UConn crosses over and we remain with the current 10 non-FB. Add 9 ACC football schools. If one school wants to add football (Nova, Georgetown), then add ND for non-FB.

Olympic sports wouldn’t suffer, basketball would have a slightly uneven balance with teams playing a some teams twice and other never, but you could essentially run it like separate conferences within the BE. You’d cross division teams at least once every 3 years.

Not ideal, but it could play out.
That could possibly work. Especially for ND non football sports. In your proposed conference there might be enough $$ even for ND. If the ACC does implode there is no way ND could stay there getting BE type $$ for their non football sports. The only other thing I can say is that ND better get at least 50M a year for their upcoming football TV contract.

SMU does not get nothing from the ACC, they get nothing from the media revenue only. Media revenue is 72% of total ACC revenues so SMU will still get about $8m from the ACC.
Ah, I see. Well, that's a difference, but even if UConn were able to wangle the same deal (and I'll maintain they are less desirable to the league), it's not worth trading in the identity of their top program for a situation that is far from guaranteed to remain stable.

That said, who knows what the future has in store for a league like the Big East, too. If anyone is dumb enough to shoot itself in the foot and suffocate its biggest cash cow, it's the NCAA.

I would've thought that too, before they got SMU to join for nothing. They get nothing, which is less than the Big East is currently paying out.
Sort of. Even without getting any broadcast payout, just joining a PTA conference means that SMU gets a share of conference football playoff money which is equal to roughly $15 million. That was more than they were making in the AAC and over three times what the big east earns, per team in TV distribution money.

That would be a 100% increase. That would be best thing for the Big East but not so sure about being a good thing for Fox.
I feel like we currently make above 4 million a year per school. I agree that Fox wants to pay as little as is reasonably possible for us, but the new deal should reflect some kind of increase in value due to Connecticut joining. In addition, it might be in Fox's best interest to give a small increase in value to create a disincentive for big east schools getting poached by ESPN to make up for schools that leave the ACC.

Reactions: SHUSource
Nope, the conference itself keeps at least an equal share to run things.
For the Big East, just under 70% of all revenue collected is returned to the (now) 11 schools which has turned out to be an average of $3.7 Million per team per year. In 2020, that was up to $4.66M per team despite lower revenues in an effort to help stabilize budgets mid pandemic.

Link

$4.66M x 1.75 = $8.155M

I think the new SEC and B1G Media deals expire by the early 2030s? By that point in time, there will be a push off for a College Football premier league when The Bamas, Georgias, Ohio St, Michigan, etc. will all be told they’re getting dragged down by the Rutgers, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns of their conference and they can make more money making a league of 20 to 30 programs who have everything they need to compete at the highest level. It will happen.

I’m not sure how much of a legal case Florida St has, but someone has to take a crack at the insane deal the ACC has all these programs locked into. It seems pretty unfair if you’re sitting in Clemson, Florida St. North Carolina, etc.‘s shoes.

I think the new SEC and B1G Media deals expire by the early 2030s? By that point in time, there will be a push off for a College Football premier league when The Bamas, Georgias, Ohio St, Michigan, etc. will all be told they’re getting dragged down by the Rutgers, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns of their conference and they can make more money making a league of 20 to 30 programs who have everything they need to compete at the highest level. It will happen.

I’m not sure how much of a legal case Florida St has, but someone has to take a crack at the insane deal the ACC has all these programs locked into. It seems pretty unfair if you’re sitting in Clemson, Florida St. North Carolina, etc.‘s shoes.
Maybe the Saudis get involved and the new league becomes the LIV college football.

Drugs are bad. Stay away from football, it's an addiction that is costly and hard to kick. Just look down the road to New Brunswick and you'll see one in rough shape.

Best thing the Big East did was reform around basketball.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: SHUSource and shu09

They all willingly agreed to it and at the time it was seen as a brilliant move to bring stability. The suit is based on a technicality in the governing documents. But, every school voluntarily signed on to the deal.

As Hallwins notes, they all agreed to it. Nothing unfair about it as they all walked into this situation willingly. They took the money on the table at the time with no foresight that media rights would explode the way they have.

They all willingly agreed to it and at the time it was seen as a brilliant move to bring stability. The suit is based on a technicality in the governing documents. But, every school voluntarily signed on to the deal.
If I'm not mistaken the GOR language isn't unusual. What is unusual with the ACC is the length of the media rights contract. Most of the recent realignment has been worked out around the expiration of media rights/GOR agreements.

No it would not. All it would do is add unnecessary travel for all of the teams including basketball.
Extra travel does not seem to be stopping other leagues from going coast to coast. Not saying it’s good for the players but when did they matter when you are talking about tens of millions of dollars. Now if you were to say many BE teams can’t afford to pay for all that travel, then I would agree with you.

I was too conservative. It would cost FSU $572 million to buy its way out of the GOR. So they filed in Florida. The ACC counter filed in North Carolina. What a fiasco.

Drugs are bad. Stay away from football, it's an addiction that is costly and hard to kick. Just look down the road to New Brunswick and you'll see one in rough shape.

Best thing the Big East did was reform around basketball.

My 2 cents.
Not sure I follow, the BIG is the best thing to ever happen to Rutgers University.

For the Big East, just under 70% of all revenue collected is returned to the (now) 11 schools which has turned out to be an average of $3.7 Million per team per year. In 2020, that was up to $4.66M per team despite lower revenues in an effort to help stabilize budgets mid pandemic.

Link

$4.66M x 1.75 = $8.155M
But that's ALL revenues not just media revenues.

See the link below, this guy really knows what he is doing (LOL), the year ended 06/30/22 resulted in a huge jump in media revenues per the original contract and addition of UCONN as per my conversations with the BE Business Officer Kevin Flanagan.

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT