ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Convicted Murderer Hernandez Dead

Aaron Hernandez hangs himself in prison
By Yaron Steinbuch

Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez, who was serving a life sentence for a 2013 murder, killed himself in prison early Wednesday, prison officials confirmed.

He was discovered hanged in his cell by corrections officers at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., about 3:05 a.m. Wednesday, corrections officials said.

“Mr. Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population unit,” a statement from the Department of Correction reads, the Boston Globe reported.

“Mr. Hernandez hanged himself utilizing a bedsheet that he attached to his cell window. Mr. Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items.”

Lifesaving measures were attempted on the 27-year-old, who was taken to UMass Leominster, where he was pronounced dead an hour later, officials said in a statement.

Hernandez was convicted in 2015 of killing of Odin Lloyd, a semi-pro football player who was dating the sister of his fiancee.

Prosecutors said last week there was no chance Hernandez would ever be a free man again.

The former tight end’s suicide comes five days after he was acquitted in a 2012 double slaying prosecutors said was fueled by his anger over a spilled drink.

The jury found him not guilty of first-degree murder in the killings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado – but convicted him of unlawful possession of a gun.

The judge sentenced him to an additional four to five years in prison, separate from his existing life sentence, for that conviction.

Prosecutors said Hernandez opened fire on their car because he felt disrespected when one of the men bumped into him and spilled his drink at a Boston nightclub.

The defense team pointed the finger at Alexander Bradley, a close friend of Hernandez who was with him the night of the shootings.

Hernandez also was acquitted last week of shooting Bradley in the face months later to try to silence him as a witness.

Bradley claimed Hernandez became enraged after de Abreu bumped into him while dancing, spilling his drink. He said Hernandez later opened fire on the men’s car as they waited at a stoplight.

About six weeks after Furtado and de Abreu were killed, Hernandez signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Patriots and went on to play another season before Lloyd was killed.

He was cut from the team shortly after he was arrested in Lloyd’s killed in June 2013. He was not charged in the 2012 killings until 2014.

Hernandez grew up in Bristol, Connecticut, and played for the Patriots from 2010 to 2012.

In his first trial, jurors deliberated for 36 hours over seven days before convicting him of murder. Jurors in the trial that concluded Friday deliberated for about 37 hours.

The Super Bowl-winning Patriots are scheduled to visit the White House on Wednesday.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/19/aaron-hernandez-kills-himself-in-prison/

Tragedy. Simple as that. From the victim's families to Hernandez's family. Pure tragedy.

My first thought upon hearing this was that the guilt he felt for the murder he was convicted of and the two murders we was acquitted of... got the best of him.
Sad on so many levels. May God have mercy on his soul.

He leaves behind a young daughter too. I know the Pats voided, or tried to void a lot of his guaranteed $, so between that and his legal fees, hopefully she will still be taken care of financially.

3a135860a3f71b738cd8f76e5e93b764.jpg

He may have lived 50 more years so this will save taxpayers tons of money for corrections, and likely future repeated court appearances for likely crimes committed in prison. Was he going to find God?

Somehow he may have gotten out sometime in the future and potentially killed again.

So it's a positive development. However he got to this mental state, he was a sick and violent man.

Clearly couldn't face what his crimes reaped so he took the easy way out.

Seems like he got in with wrong people from a young age and stuck with them for too long. By the time he was in the NFL he was in too deep. Apparently he told Belichick that he feared for his life back in 2003. I feel bad for all of the lives he negatively impacted.

Seems like he got in with wrong people from a young age and stuck with them for too long. By the time he was in the NFL he was in too deep. Apparently he told Belichick that he feared for his life back in 2003. I feel bad for all of the lives he negatively impacted.

Don't point at him like he was the victim of the wrong people. Maybe he was the wrong people...

Don't point at him like he was the victim of the wrong people. Maybe he was the wrong people...

I totally agree. He messed up and it's nobody's fault but his own. I don't feel bad for him, just those around him.

I just have a tough time wrapping my head around all of these athletes who find themselves in these extraordinarily enviable positions and throw it all away.

This story will take on a whole other dimension if it's revealed in the autopsy report that he had signs of CTE. My guess is the NFL is sweating this. This is in no way saying that was the cause for his behaviour. The dude was obviously a sociopath but just imagine how the press and lawyers will run with this if it was to be the case.

This story will take on a whole other dimension if it's revealed in the autopsy report that he had signs of CTE. My guess is the NFL is sweating this. This is in no way saying that was the cause for his behaviour. The dude was obviously a sociopath but just imagine how the press and lawyers will run with this if it was to be the case.
Dude was a gangbanger in college. NFL is sweating nothing here.

Dude was a gangbanger in college. NFL is sweating nothing here.
His family donated his brain the the CTE research center at Boston University Medical Center. Still think the NFL is not sweating? I agree with you he was a jerk for a long time but the press and victims/families lawyers will have a field day with this. Just the fact if it happens the NFL will lose. They do not particularly like the letters CTE in the news.

His family donated his brain the the CTE research center at Boston University Medical Center. Still think the NFL is not sweating? I agree with you he was a jerk for a long time but the press and victims/families lawyers will have a field day with this. Just the fact if it happens the NFL will lose. They do not particularly like the letters CTE in the news.
They'll get a check

I heard a report that the prison warden wouldn't relinquish his brain (can't believe I just typed that), but couldn't find it substantiated anywhere.

Good point about how and when the damage that may have caused CTE may have occurred. I'm guessing how degenerative it has become can give some directional sense of how long someone has been suffering from it.

From the BU CTE website:

What are the symptoms of CTE?
The symptoms of CTE include memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, suicidality, parkinsonism, and, eventually, progressive dementia. These symptoms often begin years or even decades after the last brain trauma or end of active athletic involvement.

The older it gets the harder it is to fully study the effects of CTE, it's already past the prime time for examination. I also read they had a scheduled time to pick it up and then they wouldn't release it. I would expect you will now see a lawsuit to release it. Good Grief.

Yea, found that very weird, if true. What would be the motive for that? Maybe the warden and Goodell are old college buddies.

Yea, found that very weird, if true. What would be the motive for that? Maybe the warden and Goodell are old college buddies.
My guess is that it's not the NFL but the state, so it can't be argued why he may have done these things. I don't see the value in holding it but who knows? Something is definitely fishy.

I have some friends who work for a large internet site that are very very frienly with the pats and their staff.

For a while they were told everyone on the pats new not to mess with Hernandez. If he played music no one would change it, if he bumped into you it was your fault not his, they new to stay away because he was a psycho.

Reactions: Corny T.
Aaron Hernandez left behind a note for his gay prison lover: report

One of the three handwritten notes Aaron Hernandez left behind before hanging himself in his single cell was reportedly for his gay prison lover.

Although the existence of the notes was made public by prison officials Thursday, the Daily Mail is citing a "source close to the investigation" that one note was penned to a gay lover at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass.

The other two notes, according to the report, were written by the former Patriots tight end to fiancée Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez and their 4-year-old daughter Avielle.

The notes were found next to a Bible opened to John 3:16. It was the same Bible verse that the convicted murderer had written on his forehead with a red marker, per Boston's Fox25.

Hernandez's gay lover is not identified in the Daily Mail exclusive, but he is reportedly on "eyeball to eyeball" suicide watch.

Hernandez, 27, the former Patriots star, was serving a life sentence for the 2013 murder of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd. The ex-NFL player had also been charged in a 2012 double-murder, but was found not guilty of the crime just five days before he hanged himself using a bedsheet early Wednesday morning.

An autopsy performed on Hernandez's body confirmed suicide — asphyxia by hanging — as the cause of death.

Citing a "well-placed" source, the Daily Mail also reports that Hernandez had covered the floor of his cell in soap in case he lost his nerve when trying to hang himself. He reportedly also gave away most of his personal belongings leading up to his Wednesday suicide.

Hernandez's lawyer, Ronald Sullivan, told the Boston Globe that the convicted killer had a telephone conversation with Jenkins-Hernandez about seven hours before his body was found. The Daily Mail's report suggests his gay lover was then the last person he spoke to before taking his own life.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ote-gay-prison-lover-report-article-1.3085443

Should the headline read "Note found from tight end to wide receiver"...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT