ADVERTISEMENT

OT- John Sterling

SHU_Pirate1

All American
Mar 18, 2016
Bit of sad news. Remarkable that he's had the run he did and still performing at a high level with his unmatched enthusiasm. With the season looking so promising would have loved to see him stick around to see the Yankees win their 28th this year.

Hope he gets well, but this news is 10-15 years too late. His broadcasts became comical rather than informative. Just couldn't give it up and probably felt entitled to the role.

First time I became aware of John Sterling was when he did the Islander radio games.... and he had this..... "The Islanders score... The Islanders score...... The islanders score" .... standard goal call..... back in the mid-late 70's. He knew how to trademark himself. Hoping his health is OK..... he is 85 after all.

End of an era. Legendary voice of the Yankees. I have not been a big listener of the radio broadcasts for the last few years, but he was entertaining to the end. Hope he is ok and can get some enjoyment of life in retirement.

First time I became aware of John Sterling was when he did the Islander radio games.... and he had this..... "The Islanders score... The Islanders score...... The islanders score" .... standard goal call..... back in the mid-late 70's. He knew how to trademark himself. Hoping his health is OK..... he is 85 after all.
Thinking it was “Islanders Goal “! “Islanders Goal”. !

Reactions: PiratePride
You really sure this needs to be said?

Yes. He has been an embarrassment for over a decade now. Hopefully Suzyn gets the memo and her retirement isn't far behind either. Turn it over to younger, more deserving people who can do the job right. Between Sterling, Waldman, and Michael Kay now on TV, not a more overrated group of broadcasters in any sport. And I grew up a Yankee fan! Can't stand the Mets but Cohen, Hernandez, and Darling are the best. Blows away anyone in the Yankees booth.

One of John's many "greatest" hits:

Last edited:
Yes. He has been an embarrassment for over a decade now. Hopefully Suzyn gets the memo and her retirement isn't far behind either. Turn it over to younger, more deserving people who can do the job right. Between Sterling, Waldman, and Michael Kay now on TV, not a more overrated group of broadcasters in any sport. And I grew up a Yankee fan! Can't stand the Mets but Cohen, Hernandez, and Darling are the best. Blows away anyone in the Yankees booth.

One of John's many "greatest" hits:
So you've never made a mistake at your job? The dude had a 35 year Yankee career and was loved by the majority of the fan base. Just such a bizarre take to rain on someone's parade as their retiring, especially under the circumstances. The guy was a broadcaster for 55 years, must've been doing something right.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
shu09 is clearly right if not off on timing to allow those who would prefer to fawn their just window of reminiscence.

I remember Sterling broadcasting the NY Nets of the ABA . Also my memory might be wrong but didn't he broadcast Seton Hall games ? I know Michael Kay did .

shu09 is clearly right if not off on timing to allow those who would prefer to fawn their just window of reminiscence.

Thanks, but nobody is right or wrong, per se. We just share our opinions. Obviously many don't like mine, LOL.

I remember Sterling broadcasting the NY Nets of the ABA . Also my memory might be wrong but didn't he broadcast Seton Hall games ? I know Michael Kay did .
Some older Hall fans might remember Yankee broadcaster Frank Messer calling games from then-not-yet-historic Walsh. A few were on Ch. 9 or 11 during the Glenn Mosley era.

Some older Hall fans might remember Yankee broadcaster Frank Messer calling games from then-not-yet-historic Walsh. A few were on Ch. 9 or 11 during the Glenn Mosley era.
I do not remember that, but I always liked listening to Messer on WPIX and WABC Radio. Glad to know he did Hall games, too.

Reactions: batts
Thanks, but nobody is right or wrong, per se. We just share our opinions. Obviously many don't like mine, LOL.
While listening to his calls can be annoying, I’ve often found much truth in what he says. I can’t tell you how many times he’s complemented the other team for bunting or moving runners over in key spots and said why can’t the Yankees do that. I’m not a Yankees fan but over the past 5 years if you can just get past the home run calls and some of the nonsense, you realize he is an old school baseball fan and enjoys small ball and he wasn’t so terrible. Again that’s a lot to block out. But I did enjoy him when he did talk actual baseball.

Messer did broadcast games on tv . I was doing a Hall game on WSOU and he was next to us doing the TV. I spoke a little to him about baseball and he seemed disinterested.

Reactions: SHUSource
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT