ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Need prayers for families impacted by tragedy

Stevie_H

All World
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Close to 30 people have been killed, 18-20 children in CT elementary school shooting. I am sick.

Link

What would possess someone to kill all these innocent children? WTF? Just disgusting and heart wrenching.

Prayers are on the way.

It is sickening. I can't imagine what those kids have gone through today as well as their parents. Prayers are a must.
This post was edited on 12/14 3:33 PM by HALL85

As a grandparent and parent I cannot fathom how anyone could take the life of a child and my prayers go out to the families of everyone touched by this tragedy. We seem to have become a society where we settle disputes and disagreements by violence and no one is immune from being affected by it as it strikes in our urban cities, up-scale suburban towns and in rural communities and we don't appear to have the collective will to stop it.

This one is especially tough. My prayers for all concerned.

We need to come up with a plan to stop this. That's for another day.

if we find out for sure that he used a high powered firearm, i hope this will finally be the impetus to limit those types of assault weapons. no need for the general public to have access to these types of guns. i'm sure it won't happen though. sad.

Prayers are on the way from all parts of the globe. Unfortunately this is happening way too often and something needs to be done about it. Somehow the good people of the world need to take back what is ours. No person, especially no child, should have to feel in danger going through lifes simple daily activities. Thoughts and prayers go out to all of those involved in any way.

Originally posted by Bobbie Solo:
if we find out for sure that he used a high powered firearm, i hope this will finally be the impetus to limit those types of assault weapons. no need for the general public to have access to these types of guns. i'm sure it won't happen though. sad.
I agree.

It's just a very sad day with innocent lives being taken for no reason whatsoever.

I can not comprehend how those families directly involved can cope with this.

Tom K

Innocent children victims. Nothing even remotely close to being more tragic. Gotta do something about guns on the streets in this country. I've felt nauseous since hearing the news. God help those poor families.

The pastor in Newtown, Msgr. Weiss, spoke well when he said there needs to be a greater respect for life in this country. Gun control won't solve the problem. Without guns, the violent and disturbed will have recourse to knives or bombs. Amazingly, on the same day as the Connecticut massacre, in China a mentally disturbed man went into a school and stabbed to 22 students.

A mentally challenged man has stabbed 22 primary school children in a village in the central Chinese province of Henan.

The attack took place on Friday at the entrance to the Chenpeng Village Primary School in Guangshan county.

"Twenty-two elementary school students were stabbed, so was an adult
villager," AFP quoted a police spokesman from Guangshan as saying.

The spokesman identified the attacker as 36-year-old villager Min Yingjun, currently in police custody.

Over the past two years, there have been several violent attacks against children in China.

In August, a knife-wielding man stabbed two students in a middle school in Nanchang, in southern China.

In 2010, 15 children were killed in five incidents. Murderers can receive the death penalty in China.

http://presstv.com/detail/2012/12/15/278109/22-schoolchildren-stabbed-in-china/

Originally posted by catholicman:
The pastor in Newtown, Msgr. Weiss, spoke well when he said there needs to be a greater respect for life in this country. Gun control won't solve the problem. Without guns, the violent and disturbed will have recourse to knives or bombs. Amazingly, on the same day as the Connecticut massacre, in China a mentally disturbed man went into a school and stabbed to 22 students.

A mentally challenged man has stabbed 22 primary school children in a village in the central Chinese province of Henan.

The attack took place on Friday at the entrance to the Chenpeng Village Primary School in Guangshan county.

"Twenty-two elementary school students were stabbed, so was an adult
villager," AFP quoted a police spokesman from Guangshan as saying.

The spokesman identified the attacker as 36-year-old villager Min Yingjun, currently in police custody.

Over the past two years, there have been several violent attacks against children in China.

In August, a knife-wielding man stabbed two students in a middle school in Nanchang, in southern China.

In 2010, 15 children were killed in five incidents. Murderers can receive the death penalty in China.
Nobody died at this incident in China. Nobody was seriously hurt.

Gun Control is the answer.

I'm a strong advocate for gun control but the reality is that the federal courts including the Supreme Court have reaffirmed the right of Americans to own guns citing our constitution and the provision that gives us the right to bear arms.You will never have effective gun control until that constitutional right is repealed or amended in some way as to allow for effective gun control laws. The NRA and those who oppose gun control laws have been highly successful in blocking any effective gun control statutes and those who advocate for gun control have been largely ineffective.

How many tragedies will we have to endure where children and their teachers are murdered at their school; how many more people will die in a mall; how many more people will be killed in the workplace by a former or disgruntled employee before we're motivated enough to act.

More facts from knife attack in China:

The woman and most of the injured students suffered head wounds.
Some of them were in shock, according to the People's Hospital of the
county, which received most of the people injured in the attack.
All the injured people have been sent to three local hospitals and at
least two of them, one student and an 85-year-old woman, are in serious
condition, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
ZEENEWS.COM

There is tight gun control in China but several incidents in recent years of mass stabbing murders of children/others by knife-wielding lunatics.

None of our freedoms are absolute not even freedom of speech. The second amendment preserves the right to bear arms but common sense tells you there is no reason why anyone other than the police or military should have the right to posess assault weapons. These are not hunting weapons but rather mass murder weapons. And by the way Congress did pass a law banning them in 1994 but President Bush let the law expire.

TK

There are just no words to express the sorrow here. It's just heartbreaking. Those innocent children. Just so sad.

As far as the political rhetorhic, hey, this is the society we've chosen to create. Starting to feel like the Wild West the more frequent these things happen now.

Originally posted by SnakeTom:

None of our freedoms are absolute not even freedom of speech. The second amendment preserves the right to bear arms but common sense tells you there is no reason why anyone other than the police or military should have the right to posess assault weapons. These are not hunting weapons but rather mass murder weapons. And by the way Congress did pass a law banning them in 1994 but President Bush let the law expire.

TK
Well said. In addition, the context and interpretation of what a gun was and the intention of use at the time when the Amendment was written is often totally ignored as well.

If anyone thinks that the Founding Fathers - or anyone sane for that matter - would consider these weapons of today to fall into that interpretation is sadly mistaken.

This post was edited on 12/15 10:02 AM by Piratz

Originally posted by catholicman:
There is tight gun control in China but several incidents in recent years of mass stabbing murders of children/others by knife-wielding lunatics.
There have been very few mass stabbing murders in China in recent years.

I wish the kid yesterday had knives rather than automatic weapons.

Gun control is the answer. NOW is the time to talk about it.

I won't educate you on the Constitution in a thread asking for prayers. If you want that, I'll probably mosey on over to the off topic board. The left just can't help themselves. It always has to be about their agenda.

It has nothing to do with left or right. It's all about needless carnage.

TK

What a sad and horrific thing. I'm not very religious but prayers to all affected.

TK
Bush let it expire? Um no, the law was passed with a sunset date, only Congress could vote to renew it and then Bush would have had to sign it. It never made it out of Congress. A well-timed, ill-intentioned lie on your part.

Do you even know what an assault weapon is? Rarely are they ever used in crimes. Automatic 9MM guns, for instance, are not assault weapons. Most studies have concluded that the assault ban has had no effect on crime. Seems like this horrific tragedy did not involve assault weapons.

Seems like the problem is a lack of respect for innocent life, desensitization to violence, and improper mental health screening/care. There are literally a hundred reasons for these things. Nobody is willing to confront these issues.

This post was edited on 12/15 12:52 PM by SPK145

I find it interesting that everyone who disagrees with SPK is branded a liar by him. I've never seen anyone use that word as much as he does.

The fact is that it's too easy to obtain automatic weapons in this country. Defend them all you want. Maybe we should allow anyone to have hand grenades also and rocket launcers also in the name of the second amendment. It really does not matter whether it was the President or Congress. The point is that those in power allowed the assault weapon law to expire.

Tom K

I find it interesting that everyone who disagrees with SPK is branded a liar by him. I've never seen anyone use that word as much as he does.

The fact is that it's too easy to obtain automatic weapons in this country. Defend them all you want. Maybe we should allow anyone to have hand grenades also and rocket launcers also in the name of the second amendment. It really does not matter whether it was the President or Congress. The point is that those in power allowed the assault weapon law to expire.

Tom K
Bush did not let the assault weapon ban die. You said he did. Therefore, that is bald faced lie!! That has nothing to do with disagreeing. You lied, plain and simple, to try and make a cheap political point at a time of a tragedy. Now you're trying to turn it on me, LOL.

There is no FACT that it's too easy to obtain automatic weapons in this country, that's merely your opinion. You may be right, but it's still not a fact. Then you continue to grandstand with some ridiculous points about hand grenades, rocket launchers, and who's fault it is. Earth to Tom, the President does not make law.

This should continue on the other board, not here.

Originally posted by SPK145:

Tom K
Bush did not let the assault weapon ban die. You said he did. Therefore, that is bald faced lie!! That has nothing to do with disagreeing. You lied, plain and simple, to try and make a cheap political point at a time of a tragedy. Now you're trying to turn it on me, LOL.

There is no FACT that it's too easy to obtain automatic weapons in this country, that's merely your opinion. You may be right, but it's still not a fact. Then you continue to grandstand with some ridiculous points about hand grenades, rocket launchers, and who's fault it is. Earth to Tom, the President does not make law.

This should continue on the other board, not here.
+1. Tom, No offense...you did lie AND you turned a tragic event into an opportunity to take a shot at Bush and focus on only one of the potential causes. Shame on you.

This post was edited on 12/16 8:58 AM by HALL85

First I didn't change the topic. I replied to several others who first mentioned that stronger gun laws are needed as well as a few who oppose stronger laws.

Secondly I made a factual error. There is a difference between that and a bald face lie to use SPK's words. But there was a assault weapon ban in place for ten years which was allowed to expire by congress. Regardless of who let it expire the powers that be did not extend the law.

Thirdly I've been running this site for 14 years and only one person has ever called me a liar and he does it repeatedly. I didn't see SPK go after the others just me so yes I do consider it personal.

TK
This post was edited on 12/16 10:57 AM by SnakeTom

President Bush campaigned that he would extend the assault weapons ban. He did nothing and let it expire. That is a fact. (I don't believe in the argument that there was nothing he could do...... "Presidents only sign laws".) President Obama campaigned that he would restore the assault weapons ban. He also did nothing. That too is a fact. (I don't believe in the argument that there was nothing he could do...... "Presidents only sign laws".) Both broke campaign promises that got them a ton of votes.

Thirdly I've been running this site for 14 years and only one person has ever called me a liar and he does it repeatedly. I didn't see SPK go after the others just me so yes I do consider it personal.
No one shamefully brought up Bush during this terrible tragedy except you. You have always had a deep-seated hatred for the man as evidenced by your past posts. Typical for you to invoke Bush to score cheap, despicable points. Why didn't you go after Obama, as per TC88 post? No cheap points to make there? Disgraceful.

And don't play innocent here, you're not stupid, you know damn well how making and extending law works.

A prayer for children who were massacred by a madman with a high power assault weapon has been turned into an attack on another poster. That's why these type of posts offering sympathy and compassion are ridiculous on Internet boards. They eventually become attacks against someone that you don't agree with. This belongs on the New York News and The Post web sites.

God bless the children.

Sent from my IPad

It was all about sympathy and the children until someone tried to wrongly blame Bush.

Amen Mugsey. I have a first grader and it hard not to get emotional thinking about those beautiful kids when I watched him and friends leave on the bus this morning. I can't imagine the grief of those parents. God bless.

Yes, and nobody gives one damn that a 14-year-old can possess a firearm in public without any adult supervision.....legal in Montana and I've personally witnessed the practice.

Some sane input on gun control from Cory Booker:

NEWARK ? In an appearance on a
Sunday morning talk show Mayor Cory Booker said he would support an
assault weapon ban, but questioned its overall effectiveness in reducing
homicides.

"The reality is ... it's only going to affect a small percentage of the murders in this country," Booker said

Booker on Gun Control

Mental health IS the issue. Too many are afraid to call it what it is.

Reactions: shu09
It has been 9 years. Still too soon to comment? Students in Newton Connecticut (including Sandy Hook Elementary) attended classes remotely today amid dangerous anonymous threats. Gun control is the answer. NOW is the time to talk about it.

This country will never give up their guns, even after 20 little kids were murdered. A huge swath of America bases their lives around their guns (see Christmas cards from certain right wing lunatics). Good luck changing any minds, it's a sad reality.

This country will never give up their guns, even after 20 little kids were murdered. A huge swath of America bases their lives around their guns (see Christmas cards from certain right wing lunatics). Good luck changing any minds, it's a sad reality.
So what's your solution?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT