ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thad Matta

not a good look for the big east if our coaches are always top options to be considered for these football schools. but what are you gonna do, money talks.

if im ohio state im going after all of those other guys before crean. ohio st is a school that will always return to glory no matter how bad they are.

I'd be worried if guys were thinking about jumping ship for programs like Nebraska or penn state. Ohio state is a pretty good gig.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Wichita state and Xavier to Ohio state are lateral moves? No way. OSU is probably a top 5 big10 gig based on facilities, alumni, and location. They were in the national championship game not too long ago. Matta just lost the buzz.
It depends what you want out of it. If you want to play before 18,000 every night and make $3 or 4 million a year, you can do that right now at Wichita State, like Gregg Marshall does. Smaller conference? Sure, but does he care? Doesn't seem to. Xavier is a great gig too, with rabid fan support and a perennial contender in a great major conference. And at both of those jobs, your sport is the only game on campus. At OSU, hoops comes after football and spring football, no matter how much it pays or how nice the facility is.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
It is a great job and it was only a dead-end for Randy Ayers, a below average coach.

Ayers just didn't get any talent after the Jim Jackson, Chris Trent, Lawrence Funderburk group left. O'Brien did a good job until he started paying guardians of terrible foreign players. He could have used that money for anything and probably could have paid AAU coaches who wouldn't have said a peep. But he went the foreign route, had a couple bad seasons, got busted by a female guardian one of the foreigners was hooking up with, and got fired during the month of June.

Matta's health decline has coincided with his recruiting decline. You can't recruit well when you can't physically see recruits in action. I heard about his health issues shortly after their most recent Final Four appearance. He's had multiple unsuccessful surgeries and just can't physically do the necessary work. It's too bad because he's a great coach. His assistant coaches aren't strong recruiters and haven't been able to do any heavy lifting on his behalf traveling to places during in-season games and on the summer circuit.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
It depends what you want out of it. If you want to play before 18,000 every night and make $3 or 4 million a year, you can do that right now at Wichita State, like Gregg Marshall does. Smaller conference? Sure, but does he care? Doesn't seem to. Xavier is a great gig too, with rabid fan support and a perennial contender in a great major conference. And at both of those jobs, your sport is the only game on campus. At OSU, hoops comes after football and spring football, no matter how much it pays or how nice the facility is.

Wichita state went like 30-2 last year and was a 10 seed. Marshall will probably never land a 5 star recruit at WSU. It's a cozy job for sure, but the potential at OSU is just a different league. With their reputations, Marshall and Mack could probably land top 15 classes with ease at OSU.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Like I said, it all depends on what you hold to be important. Viewed a certain way, Marshall could never top what's he's got now. Viewed your way, he could.

Like I said, it all depends on what you hold to be important. Viewed a certain way, Marshall could never top what's he's got now. Viewed your way, he could.

Yeah tough to leave a cozy job. Interestingly enough, i heard on the radio that OSU may steer clear of Marshall because of his wife. Crazy to think about that.

Yeah tough to leave a cozy job. Interestingly enough, i heard on the radio that OSU may steer clear of Marshall because of his wife. Crazy to think about that.
hes a nutjob too. ever since he touched IW on court ive had a different opinion of him.

I can really see Gregg Marshall taking the job. It's not just money. He's done everything he can at Wichita. He even got them into a bigger and shittier conference and that could be the clincher.

I'm not sure Gregg Marshall wants to coach in that dump of a conference that is the AAC. He was a big fish before jumping to a conference, that none of the schools really want to be in.

I don't think Crean has the pizazz Ohio state wants as he was fired for same reason as Matta. Could certainly see Cronin. Mack is a great choice but I think he will stay at Xavier. Marshall is who I think they'll lure away. He's got good reasons to make that move.

I can really see Gregg Marshall taking the job. It's not just money. He's done everything he can at Wichita. He even got them into a bigger and shittier conference and that could be the clincher.

I'm not sure Gregg Marshall wants to coach in that dump of a conference that is the AAC. He was a big fish before jumping to a conference, that none of the schools really want to be in.

I don't think Crean has the pizazz Ohio state wants as he was fired for same reason as Matta. Could certainly see Cronin. Mack is a great choice but I think he will stay at Xavier. Marshall is who I think they'll lure away. He's got good reasons to make that move.

Agree completely about OSU. OSU is not going to recycle another B1G coach who was basically fired for the same reason as Matta.

The AAC does help WSU with their NCAA seeeding problem though. You can't say wins over SMU and Cinn would be garbage and it UConn and Temple get it going again that will help them even more. Being a big fish with NIU, Illinois State, Evansville etc. is still not as good as the AAC. OSU could double Marshall's salary no problem even with the 9 million Matta buyout.

I'm just hoping a BE coach does not jump to take this job. Looks like Mack is out - phew!

I have a hard time seeing Mack leaving Xavier unless it's for an elite job at some point. Ohio State is good, but it's not that. He's in a great spot where he is and will probably get paid sooner rather than later. His salary is quite low relative to his peers.

I think Holtmann is the most likely coach to leave in the Big East. If I'm Ohio State, I'd take a long look at him. He's the real deal.

OSU needs to hire a name coach to satisfy a very unhappy fan base and KW just doesn't fit that profile .

That's a guy I'd target if I'm Ohio State. Have to see how this plays out...

Hope McDermott doesn't make the move. Hes a star in Nebraska, with full arena and can do no wrong. Hope Creighton sends him a big extension about now. Big east has some of the best coaches around. It becomes obvious now.

I'm also hoping McDermott does not take the job. This would not the first time that he took a head coaching job 'power 5' conference school. He dodged a bullet by avoiding being fired from Iowa State and taking the job at Creighton , which at the time was a mid-major program in the MVC and in a course of twists and turns, evolved into a 'major' job thanks to the changing of the college sports conference landscape and formation of the 'new' Big East.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Plus he was a failure at Iowa State, another big public school.

Which is why I don't see why some of these guys would even consider leaving plum college gigs for a few more bucks. Good college coaches in general, will be rewarded nearly forever at some of these schools. Ohio State just fired a coach that was 439-154. To fire a coach that level is absurd. A school like Creighton would treat you like a god with that type of record and deservedly so.

Plus he was a failure at Iowa State, another big public school.
He did not get it done at ISU is right. When you look at what Hoiberg and Prohm have done there McDermott really landed on his feet after that.

Maybe he's improved as a coach in the 7 years since Iowa State? I think he has. He's 52 years old, may have one more career move in him. Maybe this is it.

The only concern I'd have is whether he can consistently recruit at the level Ohio State expects. Probably worth that risk in my estimation. Seems like things are moving fast and wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the choice.

I hope he stays because he's an asset to the Big East. But I wouldn't blame him if he left. He's far enough removed from his son's time at Creighton and the Jays may take a small step back next season.

Maybe he's improved as a coach in the 7 years since Iowa State? I think he has. He's 52 years old, may have one more career move in him. Maybe this is it.

The only concern I'd have is whether he can consistently recruit at the level Ohio State expects. Probably worth that risk in my estimation. Seems like things are moving fast and wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the choice.

I hope he stays because he's an asset to the Big East. But I wouldn't blame him if he left. He's far enough removed from his son's time at Creighton and the Jays may take a small step back next season.

Believe that Greg is the lowest paid BE coach by a decent amount.

I think he'd fail miserably again at Ohio State. Seems like a better fit at a smaller school. Barely over .500 in conference in the BE.

Made $1,150,000 for the year ended 06/30/15.
Made almost the same for 2016-17. He is slightly behind Wojo and Mack. Almost 400k less than Willard and way behind Cooley who made + 2M. Interesting Wright is the 3rd highest paid private university coach Coach K of course being the highest.

Made almost the same for 2016-17. He is slightly behind Wojo and Mack. Almost 400k less than Willard and way behind Cooley who made + 2M. Interesting Wright is the 3rd highest paid private university coach Coach K of course being the highest.

Mack was at approx. $1,350,000 for the year ended 06/30/15.

Would be an awful hire for OSU, doesn't recruit to the level the alum would want. Relies on transfers and under the radar kids.

These things can change quickly, but it sounds like he's the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT