ADVERTISEMENT

Parents of Michigan Shooter charged with Involuntary Manslaughter

cernjSHU

All World
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
In a peculiar event, a prosecutor charged the parents of the teen who killed 4 people with involuntary manslaughter. This seems to be a huge stretch. I am not saying that the parents were not irresponsible, I am just saying that this is a misapplication of the law and there is no way that they are criminally responsible for this. Thoughts?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...hool-shooter-are-charged-involuntary-rcna7479

Seems that you can be criminally liable if a minor gets access to your gun if unlawfully stored.
Not clear on what lawful storage would be though?

"You may be criminally and civilly liable for any harm caused by a person less than 18 years of age who lawfully gains unsupervised access to your firearm if unlawfully stored."

In any case... Good. That kid was clearly suffering and should not have had access to gun. The parents should be liable.

Reactions: HallBall02
I don't know. Seems there is a lot of suspicion about the parents from what I've read. Maybe not a charge this severe for them, but I think there are grounds for some kind of charge against them. I'll trust the professionals on this one.

No use for people that are irresponsible. Same goes here.

Seems that you can be criminally liable if a minor gets access to your gun if unlawfully stored.
Not clear on what lawful storage would be though?

"You may be criminally and civilly liable for any harm caused by a person less than 18 years of age who lawfully gains unsupervised access to your firearm if unlawfully stored."

In any case... Good. That kid was clearly suffering and should not have had access to gun. The parents should be liable.
(6) A federally licensed firearms dealer in this state shall post in a conspicuous manner at the entrances, exits, and all points of sale on the premises where firearms are sold a notice that says the following: "You may be criminally and civilly liable for any harm caused by a person less than 18 years of age who lawfully gains unsupervised access to your firearm if unlawfully stored.".
(7) A federally licensed firearms dealer is not liable for damages arising from the use or misuse of a firearm if the sale complies with this section, any other applicable law of this state, and applicable federal law.
(8) This section does not create a civil action or liability for damages arising from the use or misuse of a firearm or ammunition for a person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who produces a firearm or ammunition.

This section appears to only apply to licensed firearm dealers.

Again, I do not see criminal liability here.
These parents are obviously troubled as well. Seems as if they are running from the law. They have made bad decision after bad decision.

This section appears to only apply to licensed firearm dealers.

Right, but the “you may be criminally liable” part is talking about the owners not legally storing the gun seems to imply there is a statute that would make them liable here, no?

Right, but the “you may be criminally liable” part is talking about the owners not legally storing the gun seems to imply there is a statute that would make them liable here, no?
This only applies to firearm dealers. It actually relieves everyone else of liability. "This section does not create a civil action or liability for damages arising from the use or misuse of a firearm or ammunition for a person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who produces a firearm or ammunition.

Reactions: Merge
The first thing their lawyer will ask for is a change of venue.Going to be hard to find 12 jurors in this town not having an opinion on the parents culpability.

500k bond each...one defense attorney repped nasser...they gonna see hard time

Parents seem to be totally irresponsible and negligent based on texts they shared that day and fleeing. Is the school open to any civil action as they let him stay in school and go to class after alerting the parents?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT