ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns as Rutgers AD

Incredibly poor judgment to have such a relationship. And completely dishonest to claim health as a reason to resign. And insulting to the intelligence of all of us to think we would buy his story.
That’s a common problem in academia; sheer stupidity followed by obfuscation that assumes everyone is an idiot.

Reactions: LBP43
As bad as it is for Hobbs, and it is bad, it's really bad for Rutgers, a public institution whose President put out a statement that was at best misleading. While ongoing investigations are confidential, a public entity can't go along or put out a concocted story and state that is the reason for someone's departure.

Reactions: LBP43 and mbraue
As bad as it is for Hobbs, and it is bad, it's really bad for Rutgers, a public institution whose President put out a statement that was at best misleading. While HR matters are confidential, a public entity can't go along or put out a concocted story and state that is the reason for someone's departure.
Three things struck me about this whole thing which we still don’t know all the information:
- horrible job by RU in public relations. Put out a vague and misleading statement that creates more questions.
- what is Hobbs thinking and using his health as a reason. That’s an awful look.
- we see this time again, where people in top positions that have influence and power throw away a career and legacy with poor judgment and decisions in the final professional years.

As bad as it is for Hobbs, and it is bad, it's really bad for Rutgers, a public institution whose President put out a statement that was at best misleading. While ongoing investigations are confidential, a public entity can't go along or put out a concocted story and state that is the reason for someone's departure.
I think most of it will be forgotten in 2 months. People will quickly get back to talking football and basketball. Nobody is going to say oh yeah that's the school where the AD had an unusual interest in gymnastics. How many people here knew RU had a gymnastics program 30 days ago.

I think most of it will be forgotten in 2 months. People will quickly get back to talking football and basketball. Nobody is going to say oh yeah that's the school where the AD had an unusual interest in gymnastics. How many people here knew RU had a gymnastics program 30 days ago.
Agree….this is not a Larry Nassar problem (hopefully!!). RU has mishandled three AD’s in a row (Pernetti- politics, Hermann - incompetent DEI hire and now Hobbs). At the end of the day, it’s a program other P4 schools think is a walking joke, so this really changes nothing.

Last edited:
I guess if I got caught cheating on my wife with the wife of a former NFL player, my cardiac care team would tell me to get out of dodge too.
Who's the NFL guy she was married to? I didn't know that. I bet that fed his ego, too. "Hey, I'm shtuppin' a pro football player's woman."

Agree….this is not a Larry Nassar problem (hopefully!!). RU has mishandled three AD’s in a row (Pernetti- politics, Hermann - incompetent DEI hire and now Hobbs). At the end of the day, it’s a program other P4 schools think is a walking joke, so this really changes nothing.
Why does the Hermann hire need to be noted as a DEI hire? It was poorly vetted as a hire.

Salim-Beasley was also a teacher at Eagle Cove School in Pasadena, Maryland, for four years. She is married to former WVU football All-American and NFL veteran, Aaron Beasley, and the couple have three daughters: Amirah, Dahlia and Layla.

I don’t think seeing Rutgers as a walking joke is limited to just other football schools. I think just about every school, football or not, NAIA all the way up to DI, sees Rutgers as a joke. The place is a disaster!

• Love
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Didn't age well
So if Pat Hobbs had an affair. Doesn’t make him a bad guy. I can’t believe all the judgmental people on this board. Affairs happen in the work place all the time. Not the smartest thing to do but doesn’t make him a bad guy. Just poor judgement in this specific instance. I stand by my opinion of Pat Hobbs.
For the rest of you in this board Those without sin can throw that first stone.

From all accounts both here and at Rutgers Hobbs is well liked. But rumors at SHU and now at Rutgers followed him that he made bad decisions similar to what he is now accused of at Rutgers.

In his capacity he cannot be involved with women under his employ. Especially as he is married.

So if Pat Hobbs had an affair. Doesn’t make him a bad guy. I can’t believe all the judgmental people on this board. Affairs happen in the work place all the time. Not the smartest thing to do but doesn’t make him a bad guy. Just poor judgement in this specific instance. I stand by my opinion of Pat Hobbs.
It’s not “just an affair”. It was someone in his employ who was also married. AND, there is an apparent investigation going on with regards to the gymnastics team…don’t see any reason why he would try to sweep that under the table. Finally, he resigned after signing an extension. An attorney is not going to fight a common affair?

And it seems there was a history at SHU.

See it all the time…people in power think they can be above the law and ruin their careers and legacy. Add Hobbs to the list.

Reactions: mbraue and LBP43

So anyone who hasn't cheated on their wife with a subordinate must abstain from comment? Doing what he did kinda does make him a bad guy, but don't wish him any ill will.

From all accounts both here and at Rutgers Hobbs is well liked. But rumors at SHU and now at Rutgers followed him that he made bad decisions similar to what he is now accused of at Rutgers.

In his capacity he cannot be involved with women under his employ. Especially as he is married.
as the supreme leader of a department he should not be romantically or intimately involved with a person under him regardless if he is married, engaged, had a steady GF or goes to speed dating events on Thursdays at the Jersey Shore. Many companies have strengthened their workplace policies on this very thing.

It’s not “just an affair”. It was someone in his employ who was also married. AND, there is an apparent investigation going on with regards to the gymnastics team…don’t see any reason why he would try to sweep that under the table. Finally, he resigned after signing an extension. An attorney is not going to fight a common affair?

And it seems there was a history at SHU.

See it all the time…people in power think they can be above the law and ruin their careers and legacy. Add Hobbs to the list.
Married or not married on either side, the supreme leader of a department needs to know better and not participate in this behavior.

Reactions: mbraue
So anyone who hasn't cheated on their wife with a subordinate must abstain from comment? Doing what he did kinda does make him a bad guy, but don't wish him any ill will.
No it does not make him a bad guy. It makes him a guy who made a mistake and bad lack of judgement. Good people make mistakes all the time and for a particular time made a bad judgement decision.

Here's my shocked face:
shocked-face-joey-friends-bt164sxafe8rvhf5.gif

No it does not make him a bad guy. It makes him a guy who made a mistake and bad lack of judgement. Good people make mistakes all the time and for a particular time made a bad judgement decision.
But it’s more than just an affair…..

When does he own it though? Getting out in front of this would soften the blow of whatever is going to come out.

Don't confuse or conflate major college athletics with academia. The two things have little more than a passing association or acquaintance with each other.
They have more in common than you think. Just look at the pathetic performances of the Ivy Prexies during the congressional campus anti-semitism hearings.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with academia or any other profession. People screw around, lie about it and hope others carry their water, dont ask questions or believe rumors.
Believe what you want. Academia has more of it than industry in large in part because they have no real boss or owner to answer to.

Last edited:
Not unique to academia, though. It's far more rampant in politics and government. It's the time-honored tragic mistake of men thinking with their 'other' head.
The common problem I was referring to was attempting to hide problems and scandals. I was not limiting it to inappropriate relationships.

Has to do more with people here worried about his health while most RU insiders new exactly what was happening.

Well Hobbs, who is married, had an affair with a married subordinate. He increased her salary 100% with taxpayer monies despite her horrendous coaching record. He summarily dismissed the complaints of 6 or 7 members who complained about his mistress’s mistreatment of them. He lied to the public about his health as the reason for his abrupt resignation. This makes him a very bad guy.

Well Hobbs, who is married, had an affair with a married subordinate. He increased her salary 100% with taxpayer monies despite her horrendous coaching record. He summarily dismissed the complaints of 6 or 7 members who complained about his mistress’s mistreatment of them. He lied to the public about his health as the reason for his abrupt resignation. This makes him a very bad guy.
Batts came with the shinebox

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT