ADVERTISEMENT

Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver suspended, fined $10 million

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver has been suspended one year and fined $10 million by the NBA as a result of the league's investigation into the franchise.

The NBA announced the punishment Tuesday, saying its investigation found that during his time with the Suns/Mercury organization, Sarver used the N-word at least five times "when recounting the statements of others."

There also were "instances of inequitable conduct toward female employees," the NBA said in its statement, including "sex-related comments" and inappropriate comments on employees' appearances.

The NBA commissioned an investigation after ESPN published a story in November 2021 detailing allegations of racism and misogyny during Sarver's 17 years as owner.

we are to believe that a fan repeatedly shouted this at a Duke player yet no one heard it or filmed it. Security film did not pick up anything. Right.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
we are to believe that a fan repeatedly shouted this at a Duke player yet no one heard it or filmed it. Security film did not pick up anything. Right.

Lots of fake stuff out there today only to try to rile people up.

There might be fake stuff out there, but Sarver said it, so what’s fake stuff that have to do with anything?

Reactions: SHUSource
Doesn't seem from all indications that this punishment was enough to fit the crime.

Reactions: SHUSource

Suns owner Robert Sarver was ‘difficult’ in NBA suspension battle​

By Jenna Lemoncelli

Robert Sarver, the owner of the Phoenix Suns and the Phoenix Mercury, did not believe he deserved the punishment handed down by the NBA on Tuesday.

The 60-year-old received a one-year suspension and $10 million fine as a result of the league’s investigation into workplace culture within the Suns organization.

Although Sarver “cooperated fully with the investigative process,” according to ESPN, he was “difficult” during the process and unaccepting of the idea of punishment for his actions.

Sarver, on at least five occasions during his time with the Suns/Mercury organization, “repeated the N-word when recounting the statements of others,” New York-based law firm Wachtell Lipton found in it’s investigation. Sarver also “engaged in conduct that clearly violated common workplace standards, as reflected in team and league rules and policies.”

Sarver also allegedly engaged in inequitable conduct with female employees, including “sex-related comments” and inappropriate comments on employees’ appearances. The Suns owner also engaged in harsh and demeaning treatment of employees.

Sarver said he “disagree with some of the particulars” in the NBA’s report.

“I would like to apologize for my words and actions that offended our employees,” Sarver said in a statement released through the Suns. “I take full responsibility for what I have done. I am sorry for causing this pain, and these errors in judgment are not consistent with my personal philosophy or my values.

“I accept the consequences of the NBA’s decision. This moment is an opportunity for me to demonstrate a capacity to learn and grow as we continue to build a working culture where every employee feels comfortable and valued.”

The Suns said in a statement that they are “committed to creating a safe, respectful, and inclusive work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.”

The investigation into the Suns organization included interviews with more than 320 current and former employees as well as Sarver — and it examined more than 80,000 documents and other materials, including emails, text messages and videos.

The report also found that the team’s human resources department was “historically ineffective and not a trusted resource for employees who were subjected to acts of improper workplace conduct.”

Doesn't seem from all indications that this punishment was enough to fit the crime.
The 1 thing Ive seen from people is that there doesn't seem to be a true smoking gun, ala Sterling. The other difference between Sterling and Sarver is that Sterling created a culture that negates long-term winning (the wide range of ages on this board can tell you about how they view the Clippers without even discussing the owner). The Phoenix basketball teams have won championships and MVPs throughout his tenure.
1 of the ex-ESPN people who went to Dan Lebatard's Meadowlark Media was a former Suns employee for about 6 years discussed it today.

For the record, I'm watching this after I posted the link

Last edited:
Torn on this. These leagues always go soft. They don't give annual suspensions for players who are arrested for assault, sexual violence, battery, etc. Physical harm punishments are weak so I sadly expect the same for this and we got it. They consider this tough because it's annual suspension.

Last edited:
Do you normally say this when you sing along to rap songs, or even in general? Just asking the question...
Silly comment you don't sing rap, you rap it. No bad words in Weird Al's Amish Paradise, but he probably should be fined for making fun of the Amish.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JRSlim2284

LeBron James rips NBA’s Robert Sarver punishment​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Count LeBron James among those who felt Suns owner Robert Sarver got off easy.

The NBA suspended Sarver for a year and fined him $10 million after an investigation revealed that Sarver, allegedly repeating statements made by others, said the “N-word” at least five times.

The 60-year-old Suns owner was also found to have made inappropriate comments about women and their physical appearances that were sex-related.

Further, the report said that Sarver had inappropriate physical contact with men and was verbally abusive to employees.

James expressed his displeasure with the ruling on Twitter on Wednesday.

“Read through the Sarver stories a few times now,” James tweeted. “I gotta be honest…Our league definitely got this wrong. I don’t need to explain why. Y’all read the stories and decide for yourself. I said it before and I’m gonna say it again, there is no place in this league for that kind of behavior. I love this league and I deeply respect our leadership. But this isn’t right. There is no place for misogyny, sexism, and racism in any work place. Don’t matter if you own the team or play for the team. We hold our league up as an example of our values and this aint it.”

GettyImages-1378491415.jpg

LeBron James did not believe the NBA disciplined Suns owner Robert Sarver severely enough.
Getty Images

James’ stance echoes those of the players. Tamika Tremaglio, the executive director of the NBA Players Association, said in a statement that Sarver “should never hold a managerial position within our league again.”

In a statement when he announced the punishment, Silver called the findings about Sarver “troubling and disappointing.”

On Wednesday, Silver gave a press conference that did not satisfy those who thought Sarver got off too light.

GettyImages-1233742783.jpg

Robert Sarver was suspended by the NBA for one year and fined $10 million.
NBAE via Getty Images

Asked how Sarver’s actions were different from those of Donald Sterling, the former Clippers owner who was thrown out of the league after audio leaked of him in part telling his girlfriend that he didn’t like her “associating with black people,” Silver said the two matters were not the same.

“The situations were dramatically different,” Silver said. “I think what we saw in the case of Donald Sterling was blatant racist conduct directed at a select group of people. While it’s difficult to know what is in someone’s heart or in their mind, we heard those words. Then there was a follow-up from the league office, and that became public, as well, in terms of what Mr. Sterling even subsequently said about his actions.

“In the case of Robert Sarver, I’d say, first of all, we’re looking at the totality of circumstances over an 18-year period in which he’s owned these teams, and ultimately we made a judgment, I made a judgment, that in the circumstances in which he had used that language and that behavior, that while, as I said, it was indefensible is not strong enough. It’s beyond the pale in every possible way to use language and behave that way, but that it was wholly of a different kind than what we saw in that earlier case.”

Watching the YouTube that JR posted, Sarver just strikes me as someone who is sophomoric, immature and has no clue of how to conduct himself sometimes. Sterling's actions seemed clearly racist. Silver wanted to address this and get it out of the way to avoid further discovery as the segment suggested.

Does LeBron have any credibility with his opinion. Like he's been so wrong on many occasions. I had to say it, but just dribble the ball LeBron.

Phoenix Suns minority owner Jahm Najafi calls for Robert Sarver's resignation​

Baxter Holmes
ESPN Senior Writer

Phoenix Suns vice chairman and minority owner Jahm Najafi, the team's second-largest stakeholder, called for majority owner Robert Sarver's resignation in an open letter to team employees released on Thursday night, saying there should be "zero tolerance'' for lewd, misogynistic and racist conduct in any workplace.

Sarver was banned from the NBA for one year and fined $10 million after the NBA on Tuesday released its findings from a 10-month independent investigation into allegations of workplace abuse during Sarver's tenure as managing partner of the Suns that has spanned nearly two decades.

Najafi, who has been critical of Sarver since the allegations were first reported by ESPN in November, is one of three vice chairmen for the Suns, with several other minority investors also part of the ownership group.

"Similar conduct by any CEO, executive director, president, teacher, coach, or any other position of leadership would warrant immediate termination," Najafi wrote in the letter. "The fact that Robert Sarver 'owns' the team does not give him a license to treat others differently than any other leader. The fact that anyone would find him fit to lead because of this 'ownership' position is forgetting that NBA teams belong to the communities they serve.

"Team investors are merely temporary stewards. If we, as sports leaders, are not held to the same standards then how can we expect a functional society with integrity and respect on any level? We owe it to you: employees, players, partners, and your families to provide the same positive workplace environment we would require of any other business.

"I cannot in good judgment sit back and allow our children and future generations of fans to think that this behavior is tolerated because of wealth and privilege. Therefore, in accordance with my commitment to helping eradicate any form of racism, sexism and bias, as Vice Chairman of the Phoenix Suns, I am calling for the resignation of Robert Sarver."

Among the litany of allegations corroborated by the investigation conducted by the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, Sarver was found to have, on at least five occasions, repeated the N-word when recounting the statements of others -- "four of those after being told by both Black and white subordinates that he should not use the word, even in repetition of another," according to the report. The investigation also uncovered "instances of inequitable conduct toward female employees," including "sex-related comments" and inappropriate comments on employees' appearances.

Najafi went on to write that while he has no interest in becoming the managing partner of the Suns, "I will work tirelessly to ensure the next team steward treats all stakeholders with dignity, professionalism and respect."

Najafi released a statement back in November 2021, hours after ESPN's investigation was published, writing, in part, "Team investors are simply temporary stewards of this treasure. It is our job as stewards to ensure everyone is treated respectfully and equally."

Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James and Suns point guard Chris Paul also voiced disappointment with the NBA's punishment of Sarver, with Paul writing in a tweet, "I am of the view that the sanctions fell short in truly addressing what we can all agree was atrocious behavior."

Najafi's letter was released on the same day Phoenix mayor Kate Gallego and some of the city's councilmembers released a statement saying they were "appalled by the actions'' that were detailed in the Sarver report.

"It is unacceptable for the organization's leadership to be associated in any way with the despicable actions detailed in the report,'' that statement said. "We are equally concerned about a culture that would enable these actions to occur time and again, with -- at most -- ineffective disciplinary action.''

In the statement, Gallego added, "We have asked city staff to investigate any actions we, as leaders of the City of Phoenix, can take in light of the details substantiated in the report."

Player empowerment is 1 thing but when ownership group is starting to dissent, looks like Sarver might be out of here. He could be looking at a situation similar to the Atlanta Dream in the WNBA, and that was indirect treatment.

Reactions: HALL85
I know people who have worked there and some who still do. The culture is toxic. Much more than saying the N word. If I had a daughter I wouldnt be comfortable with her working there.

Someone used the term sophmoric, it’s that on steroids and it’s been fostered by leadership. At some point you gotta grow up…

NBPA executive: Players ‘absolutely’ calling for Robert Sarver lifetime ban​

By Jared Schwartz

NBA players are collectively calling for a lifetime ban of Suns owner Robert Sarver.

The 60-year-old was suspended for one year and fined $10 million on Tuesday following a report that found he used the N-word at least five times “when recounting the statements of others;” made inappropriate sex-related comments about the physical appearance of women; made inappropriate physical contact toward men; and displayed demeaning and harsh treatment of employees, which included yelling and cursing at them.

The NBA’s punishment immediately drew wide-scale criticism from both inside and outside the league for being too soft. Notably, Chris Paul and LeBron James denounced the decision as light, and Suns minority owner Jahm Najafi has called for Sarver to resign. PayPal, the team’s jersey patch partner, said it would not renew its partnership with the Suns if Sarver remains in his role.

GettyImages-1301330637.jpg

Robert Sarver was suspended one year and fined $10 million.
Getty Images

The pushback has now taken another significant step forward.

“We are absolutely calling for that [lifetime ban],” National Basketball Players Association executive director Tamika Tremaglio, who claimed she was speaking on behalf of NBA players, said Friday on ESPN’s NBA Today. “We do not want him to be in a position where he is managing or engaging with individuals who are engaging with our players or the players themselves. We are absolutely clear from the findings that are in the report that we do not want him to be in that position.”

Tremaglio, however, made it clear that the players have not yet had discussions about boycotting games.

“We have not had those discussions as of yet,” Tremaglio said. “We are all gearing up for a season. … But I think it is very clear that our players are incredibly upset about what has occurred. Their hearts go out to the families and all of the individuals who have actually had to endure this for such a long period of time. But at the same time they recognize that they have a job to do and they are really excited about moving forward with the season.”

Tremaglio claimed that she expressed the players’ view directly to commissioner Adam Silver, who was ridiculed when explaining the justification for the light punishment during a press conference.

Silver claimed that Sarver’s actions did not rise to the level of ex-Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who lost the team in 2014 after TMZ released a recording of him telling his girlfriend that it bothered him that she was “associating with black people” after posing and posting a picture with Magic Johnson.

Players did not boycott games at the time, but protested by wearing their warmups inside out to hide the team logos. It remains unclear if NBA players are planning similar actions.

“I don’t know how open [Silver] is in terms of wanting to make the change,” Tremaglio said. “I think it is our hope that it will be very clear that Mr. Sarver should not be able to be in a position to come back and be in a managerial position. We’ve heard from other owners. We’ve heard from sponsors, etc. I think it’s pretty clear that there’s no expectation from him returning.”

The sponsors are starting to pull out, he’s toast. If this isn’t resolved by the start of the season, I think players will boycott. This is a slow build but it’s not going away.

I know people who have worked there and some who still do. The culture is toxic. Much more than saying the N word. If I had a daughter I wouldnt be comfortable with her working there.

Someone used the term sophmoric, it’s that on steroids and it’s been fostered by leadership. At some point you gotta grow up…

I know people who used to work at MSG corporate. I would definitely say the same toxic work environment about some of the stories I’ve heard about that clown show. All of these toxic billionaire bros with Animal House organizations need to be held to higher standards.

The sponsors are starting to pull out, he’s toast. If this isn’t resolved by the start of the season, I think players will boycott. This is a slow build but it’s not going away.

I know people who used to work at MSG corporate. I would definitely say the same toxic work environment about some of the stories I’ve heard about that clown show. All of these toxic billionaire bros with Animal House organizations need to be held to higher standards.
Higher standards than who? Millionaire athletes who commit assault and battery crimes?

I'm all for throwing this guy out. But the athlete who knocks a guy out at a club, beat their spouse, or sexually assaults a woman, throw them out of the league too. Otherwise let's not be morally righteous when in some cases and let others off the hook easily.

I'm not minimizing what he said, but in my opinion there's no word in the dictionary worse than domestic violence. If you're going to be super tough on speech, you better be triple as tough on a woman getting beaten. There's so much to cover up things at the college level and professional level, it's an Animal House organization at the elite levels everywhere in sports.

Reactions: HALL85
The 1 thing Ive seen from people is that there doesn't seem to be a true smoking gun, ala Sterling. The other difference between Sterling and Sarver is that Sterling created a culture that negates long-term winning (the wide range of ages on this board can tell you about how they view the Clippers without even discussing the owner). The Phoenix basketball teams have won championships and MVPs throughout his tenure.
1 of the ex-ESPN people who went to Dan Lebatard's Meadowlark Media was a former Suns employee for about 6 years discussed it today.

For the record, I'm watching this after I posted the link
so winning makes it ok?

so winning makes it ok?
Not at all. But leeway is usually given to the winners. It's the reason why some athletes are troubled vs disruptive but that's another discussion for another time. If the Suns were a perennial top 5 lottery pick, this would be a quicker process of removal. You can't be a degenerate and have a losing franchise.

Robert Sarver selling Suns, Mercury after ban for racist, sexist behavior​

By Zach Braziller

Robert Sarver is selling the Suns and Mercury, the controversial owner announced on Wednesday.

Following an investigation into allegations of workplace misconduct against Sarver and his organization, he was suspended for one season and issued a $10 million fine. But amid growing pressure that the punishment was not severe enough — Suns vice chairman Jahm Najafi and PayPal CEO Dan Schulman said they didn’t want him to return — Sarver has decided to step away.

“Words that I deeply regret now overshadow nearly two decades of building organizations that brought people together – and strengthened the Phoenix area – through the unifying power of professional men’s and women’s basketball,” he wrote in a statement. “As a man of faith, I believe in atonement and the path to forgiveness. I expected that the commissioner’s one-year suspension would provide the time for me to focus, make amends and remove my personal controversy from the teams that I and so many fans love.

“But in our current unforgiving climate, it has become painfully clear that that is no longer possible – that whatever good I have done, or could still do, is outweighed by things I have said in the past. For those reasons, I am beginning the process of seeking buyers for the Suns and Mercury.”

The league’s investigation found that Sarver “said the n-word at least five times” in “repeating or purporting to repeat” the statements of others. He also allegedly made several comments towards women in the workplace and exposed himself to employees multiple times.

The 60-year-old real estate developer initially denied those claims. This statement, and his decision to explore a sale, seems to indicate there was some truth to them.

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that the Suns are expected to be very desirable, citing the franchise as a warm-weather destination that league executives believe is an attractive free agent destination with the right ownership. The Suns reached the NBA Finals two years ago and are coming off a 64-win season.

High-profile stars spoke out against Sarver since the NBA handed down the suspension. LeBron James and Chris Paul both expressed outrage.

“I am of the view that the sanctions fell short in truly addressing what we can all agree was atrocious behavior,” Paul, who plays for the Suns, tweeted.

James wrote: “I love this league and I deeply respect our leadership. But this isn’t right. There is no place for misogyny, sexism, and racism in any work place. Don’t matter if you own the team or play for the team. We hold our league up as an example of our values and this aint it.”

Reactions: metalpirate07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT